What is the most comfy feature?

• Thread starter Antiproduct
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Carved/sculpted neck heel. Even if they just take off the one corner. Can't stand a big fuckin square block in my palm.

this^

of all the modern innovations this little one has been the most noticeable to me. I can’t play an older strat now that I play newer ones with the cutaway.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I like the stuff people associate with not comfortable like carved tops. The right arm on that knife edge on a carved top is great for me. I get way better control with that. Arm contours make a guitar significantly harder to play, imo.
Flat tops work great too.
- Next most important thing for comfort is the shoulders on the back of the neck profile. Thickness is less important than ow those shoulders are done.
- After that is not so much fret ends but the fretboard not being sharp as a knife. I love rounded or sanded edges on fretboards.
- Next is fret ends.

Dayn

Reaction score
Carved/sculpted neck heel. Even if they just take off the one corner. Can't stand a big fuckin square block in my palm.
When I saw an Ibanez JEM77FP2 in store, it was love at first sight. I needed to play it.

Turns out it was just an infatuation. That square heel killed it for me. I was used to the AANJ profile - that JEM felt like it was fighting me while playing. The best guitars I've played feel like they don't exist, but that square heel...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
Square heels suck. Although the one on my Jackson I have no issue with probably because the neck joint starts at like the 18th fret.

I can't deal with glossy fretboards, especially those glossy maple ones you find on Fenders often. Probably the "feature" I hate most on any guitar. And as an extension, sticky glossy necks are just as bad.

Millul

Reaction score
Forearm contour - it needs to be there, and needs to be done right.
Ibanez RG, Suhr Modern are 2 good examples of what I like; the EBMM JP6 scoop is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT in the sitting position, while I don't like it when standing - I think this depends by the fact I'm short and have short forearms, so the upper forearm is EXACTLY on any guitar's edge, so what I need is a specific angle where my arm touches the guitar.

Then, it's neck shape, then it's heel shape.

Pickup rings and pots placement are significant as well, and need to be out of the friggin way.

My playing sucks nonetheless.

Lemons

Reaction score
For me it's stainless steel frets, I feel more at home playing guitars with them. For 8 string guitars it's definitely the Endurneck design, although I'd love to try out some other asymmetrical necks for 8 strings.

Reactions: fps

protest

Reaction score
1. Neck shape/thickness/nut width

Those three things together determine if a neck is comfortable or not. I can't do the ESP combo of thin neck and narrow nut width, but PRS works because of the extra beef in the neck. It's the opposite for a 1 11/16" nut. I prefer something thin like the neck on a JP or Jackson Mick Thomson.

2. Forearm contour or carved top.

I sold my Mayones Duvell Elite because there was no forearm contour and I couldn't play it for more than like 30 minutes.

3. Neck joint and cutaway.

I don't dismiss the old school block right away because it depends on what I'm playing on that guitar, but for the most part I want something sleeker. The joint isn't the only thing though, as the real difference is in the cutaways/contour/beveling of the joint and lower horn.

4. Out of the way volume knob.

This one isn't a deal breaker, but more of a preference to just have the volume control moved away a bit. Not Keith Merrow away though.

Overall the most comfortable guitar I've ever played is the JP16. More comfortable to me than the Majesty because of the neck carve.

soliloquy

Reaction score
two specific things I look for in a guitar:
1) if it reverberates appropriately in my hands unplugged
2) wide neck/nut.

Usually, the 1st goes hand in hand with lighter weight guitars. the second, usually, goes with heavier guitars like les pauls. so a weird mixture of both, in my opinion, is somewhat difficult.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
tune-o-matic bridge tbh

also 3+3 headstocks

I love all varieties of neck profiles and widths, I've got everything from a Fender deep V and ESP thin U to the massive D of my danelectro

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
The neck needs to be thin with a flat fretboard radius (i.e. Ibanez Wizard / Super Wizard).

The combination of a Wizard neck and an ultra-comfy S-series body is a dream!

Amenthea

Reaction score
Satin, unfinished or done in such a way there is zero stickiness. I didn't even know this was that bad a thing until I got a PRS Holcomb last year, and 2 months later a roasted maple neck PRS 24. The Holcomb is satin and as smooth as a babies bum (fave quote of my mum), and the roasted neck looks amazing on the 24 but I swear if you look at the back of the neck the finish seems to be about 2+ mm thick and the 'made in' text is floating above the wood. It's very glossy but has one of the most sticky necks I've ever played. I was looking at a lot of LP style singlecuts of late and its really hard to find a good one with a satin neck (Artist or Private stock for PRS).

Also fixed bridge. I have stock of tremolo-no's and such as some guitars are beautiful but come with floating bridges. I just can't be having that thing on there being all flexible and stuff. They get locked down tight.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Satin, unfinished or done in such a way there is zero stickiness. I didn't even know this was that bad a thing until I got a PRS Holcomb last year, and 2 months later a roasted maple neck PRS 24. The Holcomb is satin and as smooth as a babies bum (fave quote of my mum), and the roasted neck looks amazing on the 24 but I swear if you look at the back of the neck the finish seems to be about 2+ mm thick and the 'made in' text is floating above the wood. It's very glossy but has one of the most sticky necks I've ever played. I was looking at a lot of LP style singlecuts of late and its really hard to find a good one with a satin neck (Artist or Private stock for PRS).

Also fixed bridge. I have stock of tremolo-no's and such as some guitars are beautiful but come with floating bridges. I just can't be having that thing on there being all flexible and stuff. They get locked down tight.

I've found that a number of PRS USA guitars have pretty sticky gloss necks. Supposedly PRS says they use super thin and very hard finishes. I don't know if that's true relative to other companies, but I have found PRS gloss necks to at least 'feel' like they have an overly thick finish, and it often tends to be on the sticky side.

You could always 'sand/satin-ize' the gloss neck on the PRS to give it a smoother feel. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a trusted tech and they will usually do it quickly and very cheaply.

mbardu

Reaction score
I've found that a number of PRS USA guitars have pretty sticky gloss necks. Supposedly PRS says they use super thin and very hard finishes. I don't know if that's true relative to other companies, but I have found PRS gloss necks to at least 'feel' like they have an overly thick finish, and it often tends to be on the sticky side.

My experience with PRSi as well. Very often a thick glossy sticky finish on the neck.
Except on their rosewood necks, obviously, but then those tend to sound too bright.
Their flamed maple neck are kind of in between (a bit less sticky than the gloss, not as bright as the rosewoods), but it's neither here nor there.

Which back on topic disqualifies a lot of PRS from "perfect" guitar from a "comfy" standpoint IMO. Nothing beats oiled necks (with medium thin C, flat-ish radius, stainless steel frets).
I still tolerate the PRS quirks for the right guitar though :lol:

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The neck needs to be thin with a flat fretboard radius (i.e. Ibanez Wizard / Super Wizard).

The combination of a Wizard neck and an ultra-comfy S-series body is a dream!

Amusingly for me: Anything other than super thin necks, and I didn't care for the S-series body (I play sitting down a lot, and didn't like the narrow bottom edge). :p

A-Branger

Reaction score
the position the bridge ends up while sitting down. I like to play with the guitar on my right leg

reason why I endup selling my headsless was because the bridge felt too far back.

my main guitar for years was an Iceman, so I dont care about forearm scoops or contourns, I feel at home with a square iceman

Sogradde

Reaction score
Satin/raw necks. Glossy necks are the worst and need to go.

Other than that I can't take guitars without a neck volute serious. Guitar without a neck volute = cheap china stuff. Fight me.

Latest posts