What is your favorite 4x12?

• Thread starter soul_lip_mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
My mako i think is the coolest and def most rare but I don't take it to shows so I guess my orange.

It's funny though because I have my orange and peavey vtm 4x12s at our rehearsal spot where we've been having shows. I've offered all the bands to use them if they want, almost all have been one guitar player bands. everyone that has taken me up on it has picked the peavey which seems strange to me.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Loved my 80s jcm800 with g12-65s. Light and sounded good. Took a lot not to buy another one when it was listed a few weeks ago.

No issues with my ppc412, avatar 212s or jcm900 G12T-75 either though.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have an old Crate GS412s angled 4x12 that I got used in 1995. I bricked the original 20 watt speakers (ran it so hot that the voice coils sintered themselves), so replaced all four with Celestion G12H-80 speakers, the 50 oz. magnet ones that are akin to the Mesa/Boogie-Celestion Black Shadow 90 speakers. I also threw some larger 3" industrial casters on that thing. As much as a nineties beginner gear reputation as the Crate name carries, that cab has survived almost three decades and two car accidents with me. The only real downside is that the construction is more particleboard MDF rather than hardwood ply.

Outside of the Crate cabinet, I tend to opt for my Mesa Road King 2x12 rather than other 4x12 cabs.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I know it's the easy answer, but I've yet to ever be disappointed by a Mesa 4x12. Instead I use an H&K Statesman 4x12 most of the time - v30s and weighs a ton less. It's not as bass-y but that's fine.

oracles

Reaction score
Fryette Fatbottom. Front loaded, sounds absolutely massive. I have both the P50E and F70G versions and while I lean slightly more towards the Fanes, both are ridiculously good

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Love "my" Carvin with the old "british voiced" proto redcoats. Quotes because I sold it to my roommate but he said he'd sell it back to me any time and I do plan to reclaim it eventually.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only 4x12 cabs I've ever owned were a B-52 (not sure about the model, this was years ago) and my Mesa Traditional 4x12 that I have now, which my Rockerverb is sitting in top of. Fucking wicked...

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Bogner Uberkab. Its just got this immense sound I've never been able to replicate with other speaker cabinets. I bought mine new in 2011-ish and of all the gear I've bought and flipped in my years as a gear whore, it's my bedrock. Never going anywhere.

Untitled-1.jpg

I fucking love this setup.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Bogner Uberkab. Its just got this immense sound I've never been able to replicate with other speaker cabinets. I bought mine new in 2011-ish and of all the gear I've bought and flipped in my years as a gear whore, it's my bedrock. Never going anywhere.

View attachment 141207

I fucking love this setup.

Is the uberkab physically different in dimensions or construction vs the standard straight? Or is it just references the speaker combination?

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@narad The Uberkab is 210w with Celestion V30/G12T-75s. Looks like the regular straight is 100w with Celestion V30/GB25s

Physically I can't say there's any difference, though I haven't owned any other Bogner cabs. Inputs and construction look identical, to me anyways.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Carvin built the sturdiest 4x12 I’ve ever seen/owned. I think it was like a GX412? Or something like that. It was front loaded, originally had the “British voiced” speakers that @wheresthefbomb mentioned but I swapped those for some UK V30’s and Peavey/CTS super festival speakers. That was an insanely good sounding cab.

My favorite sounding cab in general was my Randall RS125XL. 2x12+1x15 speakers, 15” on the bottom was ported. HUGE sounding and lighter than most 4x12’s.

woochyna

Reaction score
I own 2 Randalls, both larger in size than a typical Marshall, but lighter than a Mesa recto that I had (went away due to its weight). I got them some 20 years ago. The straight one loaded with v30s, the slanted one with Eminence greenbacks (threw out the t-75s) and both sound fantastic, but I haul them only for gigs in my city or to record albums, which is not that often. A 212 does all I need and saves my back, so these two will probably be sold in the near future. Was thinking of getting another Marshall due to their smaller size, but they're always equipped with something fizzy, so I stay clear.

A friend of mine had a H&K that sounded fantastic, but sold it for the same reason I want to get rid of my cabs - big and heavy and rarely has any purpose.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those old Mills Afterburners were something special, absolutely killed no matter what was on top of it. It's a shame how it all went down in the end, wish they bounced back.

But you can't go wrong with just about any Mesa cab made in the last 40 years. I always thought the RK cabs, though absolute monsters, were some of the best.

Honorable mention to the Uberkab.

All that said, I've had a beat old G12/V30 Marshall 1960B since the stone age and while I can't say it's my favorite ever it always delivers the goods.

rokket2005

Reaction score
My Mills is the only 4x12 I've ever had and the only other 4x12 I've had available to compare it to was a Crate BV cab with 70/80s, so it wasn't even a contest.
rigpic.png