What is your favorite 4x12?

• Thread starter soul_lip_mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Matamp Retro. These used to be around 650 euro shipped in custom tolex. Now it's 1200.

Mesa
Fatbottom

In that order

myampslouder

Reaction score
It’s not unique or anything but my 4x12 recto cab is my favorite cab I’ve ever owned. Found it at a pawn shop. It’s from around 2002 and sounds incredible. I’ve owned a ton of cabs but this one is really good.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Mesa Traditional for me :metal: also a big fan of the VHT Fatbottom generally, but they can be picky about amps IMO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most of my 4x12 experience was hearing them as a bassist in bands but V30 loaded Soldano's are probably my favorite to hear. I've always liked Mesa and most Marshall stuff that other band members had.

The vocalist/guitarist in the last band I was in used an Egnater Tourmaster with a matching 4x12. Pretty decent sounding rig.

Necky379

Reaction score
If I had to sell the others I’d keep my tall Marshall 1960TV with Fane F25’s.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Anybody ever mess with those 2x15 Vader guitar cabs from years ago? I always wanted to play through one, but never have. I guess if they're nobody's favorite so far I'm not missing much, but I have no idea.

yan12

Reaction score
VHT Fatbottom cabs for me. I like the slants with p50e and the straight with the original v-30's made for Mesa.
Together, that stack is the best I have heard. p50e alone can be picky about amps, but once they are broken in the are glorious.
I will never sell any of mine.

oracles

Reaction score
Anybody ever mess with those 2x15 Vader guitar cabs from years ago? I always wanted to play through one, but never have. I guess if they're nobody's favorite so far I'm not missing much, but I have no idea.

Yeah, they don't sound particularly good. No slight against Vader, I've owned a few of their cabs, but guitar through 15s just sounds weird.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
2002 Mesa straight/slant

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Those old Mills Afterburners were something special, absolutely killed no matter what was on top of it. It's a shame how it all went down in the end, wish they bounced back.

But you can't go wrong with just about any Mesa cab made in the last 40 years. I always thought the RK cabs, though absolute monsters, were some of the best.

Honorable mention to the Uberkab.

All that said, I've had a beat old G12/V30 Marshall 1960B since the stone age and while I can't say it's my favorite ever it always delivers the goods.
I just read up on the Afterburner a little, looks like the design is extremely similar to what KSR is doing with their 4x12’s now. No idea on similarities in dimensions though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My thing is I have no idea what my jcm900 cab sounds like mic’d or in a mix. Maybe it rules, no clue :lol:. Ive heard my open back 212 in a 1 and 2 guitar mix, kind of (standing close). All this to say, all the actual standards of measuring if the cabs are good have not happened. For home use they are all a good time.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
My thing is I have no idea what my jcm900 cab sounds like mic’d or in a mix. Maybe it rules, no clue :lol:. Ive heard my open back 212 in a 1 and 2 guitar mix, kind of (standing close). All this to say, all the actual standards of measuring if the cabs are good have not happened. For home use they are all a good time.
For me personally I measure quality of a cab on durability as well as sound… if a 100lb piece of what is essentially furniture intended to be moved often in poor conditions isn’t built for it, I don’t see the quality.

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the Marshall 1960AV 4x12 which I’m happy with it. It has lots of focus on mids and rounded highs. For the price I got it used it’s more than worth it.

Dream cab would probably be the Mesa 4x12 oversized but in Europe is almost impossible to find at a good price.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
There's 3 I've owned that I love/d

1. Prototype George Lynch Randall 4 x 12. 1 of 2 prototype cabs owned by George Lynch and used by him for clinics in the UK some years ago. I came to own one of them. Covered in "alligator skin" cover with 4 Eminence Super V12s. Sounded incredible with the JVM410 at the time.

2. Framus Cobra 4 x 12. Ordered by the original owner from Framus with V30s instead of greenbacks. Eventually I put in 2 K100 speakers in an X pattern and it blew me away when mated with the Peavey JSX I owned at the time.

3. Blackstar Artisan 4 x 12. This is what I currently own, using it with an Engl Powerball. Seems really well built, sounds great and looks cool too. Haven't had a chance to use it with a band yet but I'd imagine it would be cool.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So far, my Marshall MF280 straight still holds that title. Since I've had it for something like 14 years now, it's going to be hard to dislodge from the top spot.

A little googling shows that cab has a customized V30 for the Mode Four amps. Do they sound much different to you compared to a regular V30 loaded cab?

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Favorite cab of all time is an original Vader 412 with the custom Eminence speakers and the rhino lining. I dragged that thing all over the east coast and it barley has a scratch on it. Sounds great too. Got the 212 version too, I'll never part with em.

My 2000s Mesa OS is also great and contrasts really well with the Vader.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
A little googling shows that cab has a customized V30 for the Mode Four amps. Do they sound much different to you compared to a regular V30 loaded cab?
Difficult to say: another cab with V30s will also have different construction, isolating a single factor is pretty difficult. In addtion that's pretty old stuff now so how the cab was maintained will be a huge factor.
I gave up on quantifying musci gear a long time ago, the best advice I can give is, if you have one for sale around, do give it a try, but don't buy blind unless it's just pocket money for you. (Cab goes for around 5-700€ in Europe)
To me it's worth trying if you have an opportunity. How it will match with your specific gear is another story.