What is your favorite Non-Gibson Les Paul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
ESP LTD-1000EC

Attachments

• B273A666-6A30-4EE1-B3AA-CF7E5D97CA81.jpeg
    B273A666-6A30-4EE1-B3AA-CF7E5D97CA81.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 55A54D7B-B5C0-404B-B562-B445E2A83DA7.jpeg
    55A54D7B-B5C0-404B-B562-B445E2A83DA7.jpeg
    738.2 KB · Views: 14

gnoll

Reaction score
I like Gibsons and good copies.

I don't like modernized versions like Eclipses. And on Gibsons I don't like stuff like chambering and other modern touches.

I think LPs should be LPs. If you start to mess with that formula you lose what makes them special and sweet, and it all just feels like a compromise. An LP is supposed to be a bit difficult and uncomfortable. If I want something streamlined I'll grab a superstrat.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Gibsons and good copies.

I don't like modernized versions like Eclipses. And on Gibsons I don't like stuff like chambering and other modern touches.

I think LPs should be LPs. If you start to mess with that formula you lose what makes them special and sweet, and it all just feels like a compromise. An LP is supposed to be a bit difficult and uncomfortable. If I want something streamlined I'll grab a superstrat.

That formula was also pancake bodies :lol:.

Is a light, non-chambered LP less of an LP because of the weight?

soliloquy

Reaction score

yeah, i know a few 'traditionalists' who think that a tele is ONLY made by Fender/Squire, and can ONLY have a lipstick neck pickup, and a single coil bridge, and a fixed tail plate.
by that accord, Fender/Squire sell more 'non-teles' than actual teles, as so many of their tele variations also come with humbuckers, and non traditional necks.
more over, teles that are made by other companies are also now not considered teles...

i dont get that sentiment

Vinoo Matthew

Reaction score
I believe a chambered body would sound different from a solid bodied LP. The one I've played didn't just lack the heft, the sound somehow didn't seem to have the same boom and slam. Of course I must admit I haven't played many chambered LPs and I could've been biased because I knew beforehand which one was solid wood and which was chambered.

mbardu

Reaction score

Less of an archetypal LP yes, less of a great Singlecut, not necessarily.

gnoll

Reaction score

I'm not convinced pancakes are necessarily bad. (And I think volutes are a great idea.)

Personally I'd much rather have an LP that's light because the piece of wood is light than because it's chambered. I think that's better for tone.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve replied to your thread on TGP about this... so here’s a different photo! Same guitar though! I got a “Couldn’t afford a real Les Paul?” comment once, and after I’d explained about the lighter weight, control layout that I preferred and better top fret access the guy shrugged, said he didn’t play so didn’t understand any of that stuff, and walked away :)

qsmuUXV.jpg