What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think every hotrodder should treat himself to at least one Wylde formula LP. :agreed:

In my case, this was done with an ESP Eclipse. Certain things just sound better on it, and they don't work as well on a Soloist, Horizon, etc.

I had a Wylde LP like 20 years ago and like an idiot sold it because the grass was greener and now they want damn near $10k for these things.

I have two LPCs but like Budda and Techno there's a particular formula to those things that I miss.

Oh well, one of these days...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a Wylde LP like 20 years ago and like an idiot sold it because the grass was greener and now they want damn near $10k for these things.

I have two LPCs but like Budda and Techno there's a particular formula to those things that I miss.

Oh well, one of these days...

The irony is that even with prices up on Norlins, they're still MUCH cheaper than the Wylde sigs...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The irony is that even with prices up on Norlins, they're still MUCH cheaper than the Wylde sigs...

Yeah, but they're also skimpy on the mojo. But yeah that's probably what I'll eventually do. Grab a Norlin and refinish it or something.

Add it to the list of bucket list projects. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on the Wylde LP formula? Google isn’t telling me shit.

EMGs and ???

Never played one but wanted one since No More Tears.

Marked Man

Reaction score

EMGs and ???

Les Paul Custom with a thinnish, preferably unpainted neck, ebony board with jumbo frets, maple top, medium to med-heavy strings, EMG 81/85.

Playing No More Tears or songs like it with a Jackson or Ibanez just feels.....wrong. :ugh:

Copious amounts of Jim Beam and/or Jack Daniels or moonshine optional. :drew:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bonebreaker, the Glenn Tipton pickup, the Zakk Wylde and KK sets. The latter two aren't rebadged, but they are basically just standard EMGs.
Okay now Im losing my mind because I coulda swore there was a video showing the 81/81 and GTV set sounding different, but now I can't find it and the one comparison video out there is showing they sound similar.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

EMGs and ???

I think it's a "pancake" body?

The ZW LP is based on his '81 "The Grail" iirc. It was NOrlin but it didn't have the pancake body. That was gone by the late late '70s. But it had the maple neck and I think a volute, though they got rid of the volute on the production model

Basically: Les Paul, maple cap, maple neck, EMG 81/85 set.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The ZW LP is based on his '81 "The Grail" iirc. It was NOrlin but it didn't have the pancake body. That was gone by the late late '70s. But it had the maple neck and I think a volute, though they got rid of the volute on the production model

Basically: Les Paul, maple cap, maple neck, EMG 81/85 set.

Was it a LPC or just a regular thickness? If so, I thought all LPC had a maple cap on top of mahogany body, and maple neck, but I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to LPs so I'm probably wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Was it a LPC or just a regular thickness? If so, I thought all LPC had a maple cap on top of mahogany body, and maple neck, but I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to LPs so I'm probably wrong.
It was a custom. It was apparently a dead ringer for Randy Rhoads' '74 which is why he had the paint job done for it

Also I never did actually look into body thickness lol. If the maple cap does indeed add some thickness, then yeah Zakk's LP would be thicker since it's got a maple cap. Also the maple cap depends on if it's '50s spec (no cap) or '68 spec (yes cap).
Also only during the Norlin era did LPCs have maple necks. In fact I think Zakk's '81 was the 2nd to last year before they went back to mahogany necks in '82 - '83?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It was a custom. It was apparently a dead ringer for Randy Rhoads' '74 which is why he had the paint job done for it

Also I never did actually look into body thickness lol. If the maple cap does indeed add some thickness, then yeah Zakk's LP would be thicker since it's got a maple cap. Also the maple cap depends on if it's '50s spec (no cap) or '68 spec (yes cap).
Also only during the Norlin era did LPCs have maple necks. In fact I think Zakk's '81 was the 2nd to last year before they went back to mahogany necks in '82 - '83?

Ah, then I guess I'm just most familiar with the Norlin spec LPC then since again, I was under the impression they all had those specs (maple cap + neck) which is why none of it particularly jumped out at me as being 'unique'; when in reality, if I picked up any off the shelf LP/LPC and saw the specs I'd probably be like, "why isn't it like this one?" only to be looked at like I have two heads.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ah, then I guess I'm just most familiar with the Norlin spec LPC then since again, I was under the impression they all had those specs (maple cap + neck) which is why none of it particularly jumped out at me as being 'unique'; when in reality, if I picked up any off the shelf LP/LPC and saw the specs I'd probably be like, "why isn't it like this one?" only to be looked at like I have two heads.
Leave it to ownership changes to fuck with the specs lol.

Baaasically

'50s spec ('57?): All mahogany
'68 (and current): Mahogany/maple body, mahogany neck
'69 - early '80s: Mahogany/maple body, maple neck (also the weird pancake body in the '70s)
Then in the mid '80s they went back to the mahogany neck and stuck with it, except for the '50s reissues.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Leave it to ownership changes to fuck with the specs lol.

Baaasically

'50s spec ('57?): All mahogany
'68 (and current): Mahogany/maple body, mahogany neck
'69 - early '80s: Mahogany/maple body, maple neck (also the weird pancake body in the '70s)
Then in the mid '80s they went back to the mahogany neck and stuck with it, except for the '50s reissues.

There are good reasons why maple must be the most popular neck wood of all, the sharp attack/decay is very nice.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
OG lpc’s were all mahogany. Discontinued, then came back in 68 with the maple cap. Maple neck was 70-78ish with some parts making it into 79 - they were also 3pc necks. By 80-81 they were back to mahogany and afaik 1pc necks.

Pancake was 71-77ish? Volute similar years.

By now someones probably posted this :lol: