What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Shask

Reaction score
After doing loud band practice with my 4x10 and 1x12 combo stereo setup, I've decided it's finally time to bite the bullet and get the OT replaced in my trusty, crusty x100b and go back to half stack life. These little combos sound great for my solo gigs but pushing them to keep up with drums and bass is just making mud.
I was watching a video yesterday on the Deliverance II+, and they threw out a quote from Freyette that said "If you want it to sound like a big ass amp..... you have to have a big ass amp". I just had to LOL.

After all the conversation about the size of monitors the other day, I just had to laugh at this quote. I know I am always happier with the sound when there is 100w - 200w behind the sound, and I dont even play very loud. There is just a depth, or weight behind the sound you dont get with smaller setups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I was watching a video yesterday on the Deliverance II+, and they threw out a quote from Freyette that said "If you want it to sound like a big ass amp..... you have to have a big ass amp". I just had to LOL.

After all the conversation about the size of monitors the other day, I just had to laugh at this quote. I know I am always happier with the sound when there is 100w - 200w behind the sound, and I dont even play very loud. There is just a depth, or weight behind the sound you dont get with smaller setups.
Exactly. The sound of "way too much barely turned up" is miles better than "maybe barely enough cranked to the limits"

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. The sound of "way too much barely turned up" is miles better than "maybe barely enough cranked to the limits"
5W through a 412 is “way too much” but most people havent dimed an epi valve jr to understand the experience…

IMG_9732.jpeg

Someone try this:

Run an eq analyzer of a 1-15w amp at 60dB and a 100w+ amp at 60dB (measured 60 not guessed) same cab same guitar ideally similar amp (jcm1 vs 2203 lets say) and see what the eq differences actually are. Yeah I know about headroom, im the guy asking Cliff to model a marshall major, mesa coliseum and sunn model T lol. But get some science in here.

Wanting “depth and weight” at low volume is a dumb expectation imo. Its like when people want their practice amp to sound like a $10k rig - two different purposes.

Want the goods? Turn up. Simple as that :2c:. More speakers will always sound like more speakers, but I never read about people using their 5.1 tv systems to throw on a record around here :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
5W through a 412 is “way too much” but most people havent dimed an epi valve jr to understand the experience…

View attachment 142785

Someone try this:

Run an eq analyzer of a 1-15w amp at 60dB and a 100w+ amp at 60dB (measured 60 not guessed) same cab same guitar ideally similar amp (jcm1 vs 2203 lets say) and see what the eq differences actually are. Yeah I know about headroom, im the guy asking Cliff to model a marshall major, mesa coliseum and sunn model T lol. But get some science in here.

Wanting “depth and weight” at low volume is a dumb expectation imo. Its like when people want their practice amp to sound like a $10k rig - two different purposes.

Want the goods? Turn up. Simple as that :2c:. More speakers will always sound like more speakers, but I never read about people using their 5.1 tv systems to throw on a record around here :lol:
Basically, all amps are loud. A 1w amp is loud. So instead of buying for volume, buy for tone. If you run the 1w amp and a 300w amp at the same volume, then buy the one that has better tone. Volume dont matter in that situation.

I dont know why wanting depth and weight at low volumes is dumb. If that is the tone you like, and the volumes you play at, then why is that not a good goal? It is achievable without a lot of volume.

Generally the EQ difference is that the bigger poweramp will have a lower low frequency cutoff, with the extra power to push more of those frequencies. Low frequencies take more power to push them. A 5w amp might be just as loud, but it is all mids, like a telephone. You need big power to get a bigger bandwidth signal.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

View attachment 142785

Someone try this:

The problem with surround is that there is no standard format for audio physical media. Stereophonic is for losers in my opinion, but the world disagrees and we're stuck with this stupid scape.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can probably grab an avatar 212 for way less too? Stealth gets a good rep iirc.

Well I pulled the trigger on the head. So now it's time to really look into cabinets. I've used Avatar cabs in the studio quite a bit and my old bandmate also had one. I'll definitely keep that in mind too. I guess I'm looking for something with a closed back. Vintage 30's sound like a pretty popular speaker for the genre as well.

The past few years I've mostly just been playing unplugged on the couch, or plugged into my pedalboard into a Strymon Iridium into Logic Pro for recording. Aside from just playing more with an amp I kind of want to get back to using mics and recording that way.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger on the head. So now it's time to really look into cabinets. I've used Avatar cabs in the studio quite a bit and my old bandmate also had one. I'll definitely keep that in mind too. I guess I'm looking for something with a closed back. Vintage 30's sound like a pretty popular speaker for the genre as well.

The past few years I've mostly just been playing unplugged on the couch, or plugged into my pedalboard into a Strymon Iridium into Logic Pro for recording. Aside from just playing more with an amp I kind of want to get back to using mics and recording that way.
I have a closedback v30 212 avatar cab lol, does what it should.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score

Fellow death metal guy- I wouldn’t discount the EVH 2x12 either. The G12H30 anniversary speakers that come stock in them also have an excellent upper mid grind similar to a V30.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
20240427_221907.jpg

20240427_221927.jpg

Finally got the Dimarzio Sixties installed on the Talman. Still haven't followed through with changing the pickguard to gold. And I'm either considering to change the preamp to either and Aguilar or Sadowsky, or maybe even ditching the preamp system altogether and go full vintage vibe with this.

Shask

Reaction score

If you are looking for cheap, I like the Seismic Luke 212 cabinets. They are oversized and sound pretty good. Put whatever speakers you want in them.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I know I am always happier with the sound when there is 100w - 200w behind the sound, and I dont even play very loud. There is just a depth, or weight behind the sound you dont get with smaller setups.

Yep. That's one of the main reasons my favorite amps have been either 6 powertube heads or preamps/poweramps. There's a depth and clarity difference that more normal heads don't have, and it's present at pretty much all volume above whisper-low bedroom.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Not talking about speaker efficiency and sensitivity while talking headroom is also probably missing a good chunk of the equation :2c:

200w head through a greenback cab vs a 50w through a cab with 9dB higher efficiency would be an interesting shootout.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep. That's one of the main reasons my favorite amps have been either 6 powertube heads or preamps/poweramps. There's a depth and clarity difference that more normal heads don't have, and it's present at pretty much all volume above whisper-low bedroom.

Fryette actually talked about this a bit on the latest Tone-Talk and the physical aspects of the transformers that cause larger iron to sound different compared to smaller iron.

Shask

Reaction score
Not talking about speaker efficiency and sensitivity while talking headroom is also probably missing a good chunk of the equation :2c:

200w head through a greenback cab vs a 50w through a cab with 9dB higher efficiency would be an interesting shootout.
In general, the 50w amp will sound more middy, and the 200w amp will sound more full.

It is not because the 50w has more mids, it is because it dont have the low end and high end of the 200w. The 200w will have more lows and highs, and be larger bandwidth overall.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
In general, the 50w amp will sound more middy, and the 200w amp will sound more full.

It is not because the 50w has more mids, it is because it dont have the low end and high end of the 200w. The 200w will have more lows and highs, and be larger bandwidth overall.
Sure but thats ignoring speaker characteristics entirely, hence suggesting the comparison.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I notice. There is a 3D-ness to them that is hard to replicate any other way. Big SS poweramps, modeling, EQ pedals, etc... everything kinda gets closer, but nothing ever duplicates.

Shask

Reaction score
Sure but thats ignoring speaker characteristics entirely, hence suggesting the comparison.
Yeah, the speaker efficiency will effect the volume, however this is really volume independent. It is the pure tone of the amps. The bigger transformers, larger power supply, etc... has a big effect on tone even if people think it just means volume.