What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best idea is an EQ pedal if you dont have one. It will change your life.

I just got the Boss EQ-200 and the source Audio EQ2. I’ve had an Analog Man modded EQ-7 for years, and of course my Throttle Box is the EQ version. I recently picked up a dbx 1231 because I couldn’t resist the lure of 62 EQ sliders in a compact 3U rack chassis. I sold the Behringer EQ700. It was good for the money, but it was in way over its head going against the modified Boss.

Shask

Reaction score
I just got the Boss EQ-200 and the source Audio EQ2. I’ve had an Analog Man modded EQ-7 for years, and of course my Throttle Box is the EQ version. I recently picked up a dbx 1231 because I couldn’t resist the lure of 62 EQ sliders in a compact 3U rack chassis. I sold the Behringer EQ700. It was good for the money, but it was in way over its head going against the modified Boss.
Awesome. I love EQs. I almost always get my best sounds by going OD -> EQ -> Amp -> EQ -> Speakers.

I have one of the EQ700s also. I actually think it is a good EQ, but it bugs me that it has no center detents. It was one of those $15 sales I picked up, lol.

I have a Behringer PEQ2200 Parametric Rack EQ I run all my tube stuff through. It has been a great line level parametric EQ for fine tuning.

I also have a 3 band parametric I built, a modified GE-7, the Dano Fish and Chips, and the MXR 10 Band. I pretty much always use at least one of them somewhere.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, probably. I am curious what the split will do. I wonder if that will cause it to go up even more.
I'm just a spectator, so take this for what it's worth: splits historically do drive the price up. My super unconnected view is that Nvidia only has market dominance for a few years. Other players will catch up soon-ish.

Back on topic: gear. Man, I need to buy tubes but it doesn't feel fun so I put it off.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm just a spectator, so take this for what it's worth: splits historically do drive the price up. My super unconnected view is that Nvidia only has market dominance for a few years. Other players will catch up soon-ish.

Back on topic: gear. Man, I need to buy tubes but it doesn't feel fun so I put it off.
Yeah, I kind of think they are inflated because of the Covid chip shortages and the supply again catching up, and of course all the AI hype.

I have planned on buying some rack cases for like 2 years and I keep putting it off because that is about the most boring thing you could buy, lol.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of Epiphone LPs that I actually like pretty well. No Marshalls, though, and no place to turn one up loud enough for it to deliver the goods.
Grab a marshall origin (jtm-45 circuit) and a fulltone ocd clone and go bananas :yesway:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grab a marshall origin (jtm-45 circuit) and a fulltone ocd clone and go bananas :yesway:
I’ve played through an Origin head, against the Studio Classic, both through the same 4x12 cab. I wasn’t crazy about the Origin. I don’t know the JTM-45 sound. What kinds of tones does one go for with an amp like that?

I have an OCD V1.7. Should I get a different revision?

Shask

Reaction score
I’ve played through an Origin head, against the Studio Classic, both through the same 4x12 cab. I wasn’t crazy about the Origin. I don’t know the JTM-45 sound. What kinds of tones does one go for with an amp like that?

I have been big on Synergy lately, and they are on sale right now. Build you a Synergy rack!

I got the BE-DLX yesterday, and it already has me looking at Friedman schematics to see what flavor of modified Plexi/JCM800 it is.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Normally people go for edge of breakup to mild overdrive with a jtm-45, but I can confirm throwing dirt pedals at it yields a ton of fun.

No idea about revisions and which ones do what - yours is fine. Marshall amps set cleanish do very well with marshall-in-a-box pedals like the ocd.

Gift cab secured:

IMG_0150.jpeg

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Normally people go for edge of breakup to mild overdrive with a jtm-45, but I can confirm throwing dirt pedals at it yields a ton of fun.
I'm fairly confident that Ben of Cloudkicker uses a model of the jtm-45 (Fractal) for much of his stuff. That wouldn't have been my pick, but you can't argue with his results.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of the JMP or JCM circuits. They tend to be brighter and a little less bass heavy. The JTM seems to have less highs and gets a bit more wooly.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm looking to cut back on the impulse buys lmao. Gonna try to get one last SE CE24. Been looking at this one for awhile now and I just need to like... actually buy it lol

prs-guitars-prs-se-ce24-electric-guitar-vintage-su.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm fairly confident that Ben of Cloudkicker uses a model of the jtm-45 (Fractal) for much of his stuff. That wouldn't have been my pick, but you can't argue with his results.
There used to be a site with what he used on what albums up until LYBH maybe? No idea what happened to it though. I know he credits his later sounds to getting better at mixing, but mans has tones. I still put on "Fade" half the time I'm driving family out of town.

Sold one set of tuners, one more set to go. Debating listing my vineham royals but I may throw them back into something later, who knows. None of my guitars need pickup swaps :lol:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There used to be a site with what he used on what albums up until LYBH maybe? No idea what happened to it though. I know he credits his later sounds to getting better at mixing, but mans has tones. I still put on "Fade" half the time I'm driving family out of town.
I'm like 90% with Cloudkicker tones. They're great, don't get me wrong, but I wonder what some of it would have sounded like if was working with a producer / engineer. Doesn't matter: still impressed that dude writes, performs, mixes, and masters everything.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm like 90% with Cloudkicker tones. They're great, don't get me wrong, but I wonder what some of it would have sounded like if was working with a producer / engineer. Doesn't matter: still impressed that dude writes, performs, mixes, and masters everything.
I find everything fits the albums, if that makes sense.

Related to the thread, finally busted out my feeler gauges only to use my d’addario multi tool while checking relief :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
As much as I aesthetically like my Blackjack ATX, the neck profile and the guitar in general is more like a LP than I'd prefer (just thick all around basically), so I think I'm going to downsize it for one of the Squier HT Contemporary Strats, and throw some Blackouts in it since I don't care for that dual single-coil bridge set up they cooked up.

Which would mean both my guitars are Contemporary series, and just one in E standard and the other to be down in C Standard for melo-death stuff. I don't know if I'll even have a guitar for D standard at this point, I can just pitch stuff up or down depending on which guitar I want to use to practice.

Latest posts