What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Sludgewave

Its breakdowns inside other breakdowns while breaking down.....

Not really my thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
^ I actually don't hate it. Even though the lyrics are a bit juvenile haha. I like black sheep wall though so I have a soft side for heavy stuff haha.

I think its funny you'll think they're doing a breakdown then it gets lower and slower and more "breakdowny" (word?) as the song progresses.

VSK Guitars

Handcrafted Quality
Reaction score
My son is 14, he likes newer bands like Escape the Fate, Black Veil Brides, Motionless in White, not so new bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Slip Knot, and old bands like Metallica and Alice in Chains.

I feel lucky that I like at least half of the stuff he does, it makes long car rides more enjoyable :D

PureImagination

Reaction score
Well I'm 15 and listen to everything from Meshuggah to Allan Holdsworth. Currently my favorite band is Obscura.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I figure that it's just part of being young, enjoying stuff with questionable artistic merit that invariably (1) bugs the shit out of older people and (2) invokes nostalgia once they reach that age where they're the older people bugged by what the young'uns are into.

lorguitarist

Legions Of Raum
Reaction score
I just heard that this apparently exists the other day. Prepare your ears. It makes me glad I'm out of touch.

It is every element I hate about modern music wrapped in one. It's almost impressive. This is just my opinion though.

Nope. They're pretty much FAILING FORWARD. :nuts:

Dear god. I was just ear raped. :wallbash:

Thomas21

Reaction score
I think most kids like whatever doesn't have a ton of screaming and isn't jarring. That's why bands like A Day to Remember and Chunk no Captain Chunk are popular.

DXL

Reaction score
By me a lot of people are into pop punk. In fact I don't think there's a single local band here that isn't pop punk. But non-locally, it seems that the djent phase is starting to die out, but I think as a whole the youngsters are pretty much into anything that is offbeat and dissonant.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
better question is what do kids like that DOESNT suck horse wankey? check out Born of osiris, after the burial, chelsea grins new album (very very different from things rpior to this album) , veil of maya, theres a few that immediately come to mind.

broj15

Reaction score
I work in a record store and sell a lot of buttrock, pop punk, pop country, pop metal, and hip hop to those <16. And I've noticed everyone who was into whatever-core 2 years ago have jumped on the djent bandwagon (didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:). There are a few kids in that age group who do have good taste but for the most part I see stuff come across the counter that just makes me cringe.

broj15

Reaction score
like Nickelback, Shinedown, Creed, Seether, Pop Evil, Theory of a Dead Man, 5 Finger Death Punch, etc.. Basically anything with "heavy" instrumentals and big choruses and pop vocals with just enough grit to seem edgy to grandma and grandpa. I thought that was a pretty widely used term :lol:

edit:

I suppose buttrock and pop metal are one in the same for the most part

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Breakdowny buttrock, Batman!

Here's a different perspective

I know what kids like. But when I mean kids, I mean >11 year olds. My son is 9 and my wife is a fifth grade teacher. My son isn't too into music (yet) but my wife's kids like garbage like One Direction, Justin Bieber, Arianna Grande, Demi Lovato, Iggy, I mean, I haven't heard any of it but I bet it's garbage. Although there are a few kids that like the Beatles and Nirvana.

I personally am a preschool teacher. Those kids like that song from Disney 's Frozen, Let It Go. They go batshit crazy, too.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Where I live I feel like I'm lucky if I run into someone under the age of 25 that's even aware of anything other than Lil Wayne or comparable hip hop drivel. I'm relieved to hear kids even listening to music that comprises real instruments, and if it's some kind of metal it's definitely a rarity.

I started getting into metal when I was 12. I'm almost 36 and still impressed with a lot of the heavy music that is coming out these days. Is there a shit ton of cookie cutter clones? Yup. But I'm still willing to wade through it to find the quality offerings. I will never stop wanting to hear new heavy music/bands.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I personally am a preschool teacher. Those kids like that song from Disney 's Frozen, Let It Go. They go batshit crazy, too.
You asked for it. This got 100,000 views in one day... Just let that sink in...

I used to dig Betraying the Martyrs......but this is about one of the most "un-metal" things ever. Breakdowns, random riffs (you couldn't even call it "chaotic"...it's just literally random barely even following the thematic elements), and Disney. Yeah...

On a side note: DAMN have Aaron's vocals and Victor's vocals changed since their Breathe In Life album!

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
sometimes, when my ipod runs out of battery, I tune into the only rock station in the radio, and they only play exactly that: RADIO ROCK. Shinedown, Creed, Nickelback, Five finger death punch, halestorm, etc.

That said, there are some good songs (or more like, songs i enjoy) within that genre. Here are some examples:

I mean, it's not the best shit i've heard by all means, but its not thaaat bad, as least its better than the wub wub techno subpar metal that some new scene bands play.

As someone else said, we all gotta start from somewhere, If someone had shown me a Cannibal Corpse song back when I was 12, I would have shat my pants for sure. But now I enjoy them.
I am still in love with the first Linkin Park album, which was probably the first thing remotely rock that i listened by choice.

EDIT: now that i listen to it again, that Five Finger Death Punch song is actually pretty damn good :lol: It might have something to do with Halford guesting vocals.