What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
You asked for it. This got 100,000 views in one day... Just let that sink in...

I used to dig Betraying the Martyrs......but this is about one of the most "un-metal" things ever. Breakdowns, random riffs (you couldn't even call it "chaotic"...it's just literally random barely even following the thematic elements), and Disney. Yeah...

On a side note: DAMN have Aaron's vocals and Victor's vocals changed since their Breathe In Life album!

thank you for this. I will show my co-workers.

I actually like it...since I hear the original song EVERY DAY, this is a nice change.

My son, "They're not doing it right."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
A lot of things also seem to have to age for a while before it's OK for "trve metalheads" to enjoy it... for example I know when I was younger the black dahlia murder was considered poser deathcore bullshit by "true metalheads" but now they seem to have plenty of cred in the scene

In my opinion that is because that band used to suck and then got really good. The first couple of releases to me we in fact deathcore bullshit. But then when they released Nocturnal they became an amazing metal band and most metalheads can recognise that.

Sludgewave

Its breakdowns inside other breakdowns while breaking down.....

Not really my thing.

Was not bad actually. I liked the riff, too bad it never changes :agreed:

I used to dig Betraying the Martyrs......but this is about one of the most "un-metal" things ever. Breakdowns, random riffs (you couldn't even call it "chaotic"...it's just literally random barely even following the thematic elements), and Disney. Yeah...

On a side note: DAMN have Aaron's vocals and Victor's vocals changed since their Breathe In Life album!

Oh Em Gee

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Well, what's "in" now in metal are djenty riffs, djenty guitar tones, 7 and 8 string guitars are more mainstream, "pure" djent bands are now onto 9's and 10's, deathcore and metalcore bands are either moving onto djent or just become more djenty. Modern metalcore is mixing electronic music with metal, currently metalcore bands are at the stage of mixing dubstep with metal, next thing is going to be trap music (Like Sylar is doing). Nu metal is currently being revived. On the heavier side of things, slam death metal is getting kind of accepted as legit metal and much more people listen to it, more underground deathcore bands are mixing slam with deathcore, and slam bands are mixing deathcore with slam, the lines between these two genres blur (Acrania, Infant Annihilator, Ingested, Abnormity are the bands which do such things). Downbeat deathcore music (also goes by the name of sludgewave) like Traitors, Black Tongue and Immoralist is getting pretty popular now. In black metal, "cascadian black metal" and mixing post rock with black metal (Deafheaven). Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate are also kind of "in" these days. And overall, mainstreamizing of extreme metal is happening.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
15, Indian. I listen to progressive metal and some tech-death. A bit of old black metal is also cool with me. (I lurve Ihsahn's vocals and his Iceman.)
As for djent... well, it's not that I don't like the sound (i.e. what "djent" originally meant) but most pop bands that go
"i dj0ntz on mAh *8 StRingGG liek 000000-0-0-000-000 ermahgerd i got da br00tz m0shMoSHm0SH fak u lulz k"
and call themselves "djent" are too much for me. Vildhjarta or Animals as Leaders are djent done properly.

Favourite bands right now would be AAL (duh), After The Burial, Blotted Science (new find!), Meshuggah, Psyopus, The Faceless, Wolfheart, Necrophagist and Ne Obliviscaris. (Oh, and Between The Buried and Me simply slay.)
I like classic rock, too. Pink Floyd was my first-ever "fav band". :wavey:
I'm heavily into both Western and Indian classical music, and I'm getting into some of the jazz classics - think Miles Davis, Coltrane et al. :agreed:

I gues you might have heard of Bollywood. Most modern Bollywood makes Justin Bieber look like Schuldiner or something. And come any festival (which in India is pretty often) people are blasting that stuff out of cheap huge bassy speakers that spew their garbage across the neighborhood. :wallbash:
Most of my mainstream pop and hip-hop-loving friends have blocked me on FB due to my long, well-researched rants against such fine genre-defying musicians as Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber and others I'm not qualified enough to name. So there's that, too. :fawk:

Thomas21

Reaction score
When I was around 14 I would listen to Asking Alexandria and Escape the Fate. Now I listen to bands like Architects, Converge, and The Dillinger Escape Plan.

It's important to remember that they will grow out of this when they get close to college.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Speaking as an 18-year-old, all the people my age I know have massively varied tastes.

You're all old.

That said, djent/techno/swoop haircut-core can eat my shorts

AlejoV

Reaction score
I'm 15, from Argentina. Mostly listening to:
Meshuggah (The 7 string albums sound better IMO, like Destroy Erase Improve, or Chaosphere).
Periphery
AAL, (mostly the first recrod , Weightless and Wave of Babies).
Dave Brubeck
Volumes
A bit of Jamiroquai :)
Destiny Potato
The Safety Fire
Radiohead, (ALL the records)
Muse, (ALL the records)
Panzerballett
Zelliack
T.R.A.M
and Tim Minchin FTW.

However, no one,(I mean NO ONE AT ALL) has ever listened to most of these bands, except for Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai and Survival by Muse.

Thomas21

Reaction score
I'm 15, from Argentina. Mostly listening to:
Meshuggah (The 7 string allbum sound better IMO, like Destroy Erase Improve, or Chaosphere).
Periphery
AAL, (mostly the first recrod , Weightless and Wave of Babies).
Dave Brubeck
Volumes
A bit of Jamiroquai :)
Destiny Potato
The Safety Fire
Radiohead, (ALL the records)
Muse, (ALL the records)
Panzerballett
Zelliack
T.R.A.M
and Tim Minchin FTW.

However, no one,(I mean NO ONE AT ALL) has ever listened to most of these bands, except for Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai and Survival by Muse.

Those bands are too "technical" for kids around your age to like them. You should listen to CHON if you like those bands.

AlejoV

Reaction score
Those bands are too "technical" for kids around your age to like them. You should listen to CHON if you like those bands.

I saw a playthrough of one of their songs, the really make you feel useless haha. I will check them out deeper:hbang: .

misingonestring

Irrelevant Name
Reaction score
Metal pretty much doesn't exist where I live

It's pretty much just rap, R&B, whatever plays at warped tour, pop music, and above all country.

I see the occasional air head wearing a Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, or Iron Maiden t shirt but I don't think they really listen to them. I could be wrong though.

Murmel

Reaction score
15-year old kids in Sweden listen to pretty much K-Pop exclusively right now. A fair bit of J-Rock/Visual Kei too if they're more alternative. And yet, the little fvckers don't know about Luna Sea or Janne Da Arc :(

Metal wise, I see a huge uprising for more stoner/grungey type bands. Even Bring Me the Horizon, the quintessential metalcore-for-kids band, have adopted a rawer and less layered style. Personally I think it's a great progression out of the grid-quantized karate-produced sound we've heard for the last few years.
Really? You're still considered pretty weird if you 'come out of the closet' and say you like that kind of stuff up here. K/J-pop/rock that is.
I feel like it's me and the people going around incorporating way to many memes into everyday speech, also using words like kawaii and awesome way too much that listen to it.

Not that I have a problem with it, listen to whatever you want and be whoever you want. It was hilarious talking about my music taste 2 years ago when I was in high school, though.. :lol:

Where I live, metal is definitely on the uprising. The breakdown-y type.
Indie pop is still going very strong in this country as well. Not that anyone on this forum other than Swedes will know of the artists. I'm also noticing a small comeback of soul. It's subtle, but I feel like it's there.

In my local scene there are like 7 'bang-the-crap-out-of-your-guitar-and-let's-have-the-weirdest-setup-possible-and-scream-our-lungs-out' - hardcore bands for every 'regular' band. My theory is that it's because we have a lot of people playing, but almost no one can sing decently. Instead, all bands just decide that one person screams something, and there's the vocal.

protest

Reaction score
The only teenager I know is my nephew, and he's basically me when I was his age so that's not a good measure for what most kids are into lol.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

This cover could have been awesome if it was mostly clean vocals and had more of a melo-death riffing style instead of whatever the .... that was.

But I sorta enjoyed Frozen :lol:

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Speaking as an 18-year-old, all the people my age I know have massively varied tastes.

You're all old.

:(:(:(

6a01538e92ee33970b01a73dbc2f78970d-pi

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I believe I was 13 when the self titled slipknot album came out... Like 1998 or 1999ish.

Is 27 old?

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I entered this thread hoping to vent and shoot some bullcrap here and there...
I listened to 40 seconds of that song of first page.
I go to bed now, depressed and disheartened