What practice amp should I get for death metal (Blackstar HT-1 or Peavey Vypyr)?

GN3

Reaction score
I need something relatively quiet (for bedroom use).

Blackstar HT-1 (a tiny tube amp) with the Amptweaker TightMetal Distortion pedal (I already have the pedal but I am not sure how well it will work with this amp, also no nearby music stores to test it in). Will this setup be able to get a metal tone?

Or

Peavey Vypyr 30W or 75W? I've already played some Vypyrs. Pretty good solid state amps.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Hmmm, I guess it depends if you need the built in FX or not or if you need da tubes... and your budget :shrug:

Either one will give you metal tones, especially if you already have a TightMetal.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Some of the vypyr effects are crap, and it has some weirdly unnatural breakup. That being said, I've gotten some great sounds out of the thing. It works well for bedroom practice.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
I need something relatively quiet (for bedroom use).

Blackstar HT-1 (a tiny tube amp) with the Amptweaker TightMetal Distortion pedal (I already have the pedal but I am not sure how well it will work with this amp, also no nearby music stores to test it in). Will this setup be able to get a metal tone?

Or

Peavey Vypyr 30W or 75W? I've already played some Vypyrs. Pretty good solid state amps.

Thanks.

Being that u already have that pedal and u just want a good amp to run it thru, I'd recommend checking eBay or GC for a used Epiphone Valve Jr. It's a 5 watt tube amp with only a volume knob. The simplicity of the design makes it take to a pedal insanely well. I used to have one that I played a Metal Zone thru and it sounded killer!! So would sound even better with a badass pedal like urs. They get loud for sure but being 5 watts via single EL84, they saturate very earlier making it for great low volume tone. The more I think about it the more I wish I still had mine!! Hahaha