What tuning(s) do you use on six-string(s)?

• Thread starter LeviathanKiller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What tunings do you use on your six-string(s)?

• Total voters

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
A poll for what six-string tunings you use.

Poll is multiple choice if you use more than 1 on the same guitar or have more than 1 guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blake1970

Reaction score
I have two guitars. One of them I had setup for drop D and the other one is getting setup right now for D standard. I have been playing for a couple of years and mostly just played in E standard, but wanted to try lower tunings. Honestly I really like the lower tunings more than E standard.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
My Charvel typically stays in Drop C, but I change it up every now and then.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I used to use drop C#, but now I use AGCFAD, and am thinking about dropping that an extra half step once I get the stock pickups replaced in my six-string. I want to try Bb-E-Bb-E-Bb-E for easier playing in the whole tone scale, though.

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
I'm an Eb standard sort of guy, and I guess that puts me in Drop-C# when I'm drop tuned. I'll occasionally tune up to concert pitch to play Faith No More songs.

Mettle209

Reaction score
I play E standard and drop D most of the time since the other tunnings are just mirror images of these two. For live performances, I tune to Eb, D standard, and drop c.

MesaENGR412

#3 Forever
Reaction score
Drop B for our music. Using D'Addario EJ21 Jazz sets (12-52 w/wound third) on Floyd Rose Guitars - non-blocked. Hard to believe my first band was in Drop D, then we went to drop C....and the strings just get a little thicker each time haha. I bought a set of 12's a couple years ago and decided to set a guitar up in Drop B just to see how the songs sounded in that tuning as opposed to drop C...never went back. Talking about using 7's in A# standard for a couple songs on the next album, but we'll see.....

-AJH

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
eb standard for trhashy stuff, B standard for black/death metal.
I have tried the dropped tunings, never got to writing stuff I liked with them and gave up.

anne

No privacy hedge.
Reaction score
F#1 A2 C# D A C#
F#1 C# A D A C#
F#1 F#2 C# F# A D
F#1 C# A D# B F#

They all dramatically change the way I write. Trying the F#1-F#4 on some new BKPs -- it's a winner already!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Strat is in E/Drop D, Kramer is in D/Drop C, Gibson is also in E/Drop D but stays up in my bedroom for late night noodling

I've been tempted to change one of them back to open C or open B but that would require picking up a set of strings and such

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Open C, mostly for slide work. If I ever lower the action I may play some SYL covers (or something).

I also have done that Mastdon D standard with dropped A, for kicks.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I go D standerd with Boomer 52/40/30/20/14p/10p OR C# standerd with Boomer 54/42/32/22/15p/11p with various 25.5 scale neck-thru Floyd/EMG 81 killing machines.