What tuning(s) do you use on six-string(s)?

• Thread starter LeviathanKiller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What tunings do you use on your six-string(s)?

• Total voters

Nublet

Sevenstring wannabe
Reaction score
Had mine in Open C for the longest time and now I'm switching between D and E standard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
ADADGbB makes much more sense to me :yesway: Kind of like the tuning I would use on an 8 (EA EADGBE).

Yes that does make sense, I love that Tosin tuning. haha But you should give it a try, when you strum an open note on the first three strings you get two chords in one. It sounds really cool to tap with as well, plus a G is just metal as hell. :lol:
Anyways, if anyone else tries it out i would love to hear your thoughts. I feel quite innovative...not really. lol

troyguitar

Reaction score
These days all of my 6-strings are in E standard. I briefly experimented with fifths but got too lazy to really learn how to use it :lol:

Also :facepalm: at the idea of a TUNING being 'not heavy enough' - lower notes != heavier music.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Ibanez PF Acoustic = Standard lol.
Godin Freeway Classic= Standard
LTD EC-1000 = Standard or Drop D
Gibson Les Paul Menace = Drop Db or Drop C (rare occasion Drop B)
LTD Viper Baritone 300 = B standard or Drop Bb or Drop A

davidb1986

Reaction score
I'm a standard tuning kinda person. I also use a capo from time to time when writing songs.

divide

Reaction score
Well, i have only one six-string but the tunings i use are D-standard, C# standard, drop-C, drop-B or open-c. But mostly i use drop-c and drop-b tunings.

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
Back when I played sixes and not 8's, I always found Drop D and its various downtuned equivalents to be kind of talentless unless played at extremely high tempos, where that interval is even somewhat useful. I mean if you're playing under 180 bpm, why can't you fret with three fingers? Too rough on you guys? :) Of course it's all personal preference anyway! /braceforattack
That being said, Eb C and B. C is like my home tuning, I played in it so long.
Considered tuning my 8 to either G C F A# D# G C F or D G C F A# D# G C but I guess that's irrelevant in this thread!

davidb1986

Reaction score
I had posted earlier that I am more of a E standard kinda guy, but I also play in EABEBE and DADADD as well as drop D on occasion.

Blood Ghost

Reaction score
Of course I always tune down 1/2 a step and a whole step, sometimes with drop D, but this is the weird one I came up with:

1 - F4 - 174.6 Hz
2 - A#3 - 116.5 Hz
3 - G3 - 98.0 Hz
4 - D#3 - 77.8 Hz
5 - D#3 - 77.8 Hz
6 - A#2 - 58.3 Hz

o_O

That was a result of farting around with an acoustic equipped with 13's, I want to actually use it but it's gonna be a bitch to get string gauges that don't feel all funky.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Open B and sometimes open A#

I want to try something weird like open F# on a 6 string baritone.

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
Haha, sorry! :) My current strings (11's) are a little to thick for my liking in that tuning though, so right now it's Eb. Until I get my hands on some 9's! Might go to F# with those! For some reason I enjoy tuning up as well as down, even though I can just fret the same notes. It gives a different feel to me than playing in my normal tunings and fretting the right notes!