What tunings do you guys play mostly?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
AGCFAD (mastodon/neurosis tuning)

I've used that tuning a half step up to play 7 string stuff on my 6 string.

I usually stay around standard or a half step down, and I have an old Ibanez I keep in like drop A or B for when I want to play stuff like Slipknot.

I haven't had a playable 7 in years, but when I did I kept it a half step down since that's what I'm used to on my sixes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
I'm pretty much locked into D Standard when writing my own stuff, but I'll occasionally tune down to Drop C if I can figure a use for it. Drop tunings don't 'feel' as right to play anymore, to me.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Almost entirely standard - one less thing to have to worry about. Drop D is fun and DADGAD (dropping both Ds) sounds pretty cool too, but most of my guitars have floating bridges so it's just one less thing to bother with.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I mostly play 7-string in the following tunings:

- standard and drop A for my trem guitars;
- BDADGBE and ADADGBE for my fixed bridge ones.

I have no rationale behind that split, I just like those tunings.

inflicted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
C Standard. I play grindcore and death metal and this tuning is perfect for me.
I used to have an obsession with extremely low-tuning, but got rid of it when I found out that the tuning doesn't impact the tone as much as I believed. It's all about the way you tweak your amp and the strenght you provide while playing. Some bands are tuned in G# Standard and sound precise, tight and sharp. Some are in Eb and sound muddy and fat.

akinari

Reaction score
6s in E/D#/D/C#/C/B/Bb/A standard and their drop tuning equivalents (drop D, C#, and so on) baritones in drop G, drop F and drop D#, 7s in ADADGBE/ADADGAD, A standard / drop G, and a 34" scale 7 in A0 standard. On the 6s, I sometimes drop the high E a whole tone too.

ixlramp

Reaction score
All-fifths, a mixture of fifths and thirds, or all-thirds (but Just Intonation thirds).
Never fourths.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
All-fifths, a mixture of fifths and thirds, or all-thirds (but Just Intonation thirds).
Never fourths.
I've interest/experience in all of those tunings and think 5ths might become my go-to. I have not developed a disliking for fourths at all though. Have you?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a bit all over at the moment:

19edo: 6 string standard, 6 string drop d, 7 string drop a
12edo: 6 string standard, 6 string D standard, 7 string standard, 7 string D standard, 7 string drop G, 8 string with a high A.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
All of them. I have a lot of guitars. But, most used right now...
  • 6-string regular - D to E, Standard or Drop
  • 6-string low - A# to C, Standard or Drop
  • 7-string - B Standard or Drop A
  • Slide - Open D