What VSTs do you use?

• Thread starter JDizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
FabFilter Twin2 for clean hifi type keyboards
FabFilter Saturn for saturation and weird time skips/glitches
Togu Audio Line plugins (TAL)
Stillwell plugins, especially the 1973 eq for high end smoothing
Slate VBC, VTM, VMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I try to do everything with NI Komplete. I find if I have too much, I mess with stuff more. I love Reaktor and Massive.

For drums though, I have SSD4.

theonlyway

Reaction score
I have NI Komplete 10
Valhalla Shimmer
Bias Desktop and FX
Some UAD that came with the apollo twin

Daw Pro Tools and Garageband

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to do everything with NI Komplete. I find if I have too much, I mess with stuff more. I love Reaktor and Massive.

For drums though, I have SSD4.

I'm the same, but for the opposite reason :) If I have too many options I don't mess with stuff enough and never learn each instrument properly. Better to have few options and learn each of them to their full potential so you can get the sounds you want quickly without scrolling blindly through presets.

And not to be a that guy at all, but paying for the stuff tends to get me a lot more inspired to learn the instruments which leads to, well, better goodness and stuff. In the music.

cereal_guy

Reaction score
Mdrummer (always)
LePou amp sims (sometimes)
Ignite amps amp sim
built in reaper plugins
Variety of Sound plugins/effects (all that I have tried are great)

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
Reaction score
VSTi's:
Pretty much all the Computer Music Magazines stuff that's 64bit (Curve, Alchemy Player, Enzyme Player, ZebraCM, etc.)
All of U-he's Freeware thats 64bit (see a pattern developing here?)
Image Lines Autogun
Green Oaks Crystal
Dexed
Helm
MauSynth
Native Instruments Kontakt Player and Reaktor Player
Steven Slate Drums
MT Power DrumKit

VST
Not very exotic really.
MeldaProductions Free Bundle
Blue Cat Audio's Free Bundle
REAPER's ReaPlugs and JSfx
For distorted guitars I use PODFarm.

That is until recently when I discovered a new ampsim that sounds pretty dang good to me...

And near as I can tell, its relatively still unknown.

For vocals, clean guitars, bass, and FX i use PODFarm.

Audacis

A band and also not
Reaction score
After a change of PC, I put some cash down on Native Instruments' Studio Drummer and Skarbee Rickenbacker Bass. I paid full whack for SD less than 24 hours before the damn Thanksgiving sale that I knew nothing about. Considered sending them a politely worded email, but I don't think they'll try and sooth the burn at all! Last time I checked, Germany doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I'm impressed with the sound of both; especially happy that detuning the bass plugin to hit a low Ab doesn't completely change the sound. At least, it's not noticeable in a mix with two guitars and drums! :p

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I <3 VSTs :wub:

Guitar Rig 5
ReValver 4
Amplitube 4
EZ Drummer 2 (with Made of Metal, Rock Solid, and DFH)
Studio Drummer
Audiffex Gallien-Kreuger Amplification
lots of other stuff

Cake Machine

Banned
Reaction score
Waves as default, across the board. I like Kjaerhus golden series compressors, and their 'Classic Master Limiter' as well. I rarely use anything else for master limiting. Once you compress and EQ properly, with care, that's a no-brainer solution. Wicked. One control :cool:

For f-ing about I like bdlue glitch, GRM Tools... for synth, it's Arturia Minimoog and CS-80v.

Josh Nanocchio

Reaction score
+1 on the Valhalla stuff, really nice verb and ambiance effects.

Opinion on the Slate bundle? Worth it if you have a few comparable plugins? (IE: Waves)

+1 for me for for the Valhalla plugins. Some of the best verbs I've ever used and I almost always use their verbs on my snares and full kits. :hbang:

P-Ride

Reaction score
I've used Ableton for many years and think the interface for recording live instruments (the loop grid) blows anything else out of the water. I'm using Live 9 Suite 32-bit and enjoy a lot of the built-in audio effects.

U-He's Zebra is a fantastic synth.. very powerful and fun to use.

I've become fairly anti-Native Instruments. I think their synths encourage patch use and are too obvious.

For VST amps, I tried a bunch recently and ended up buying TSE X50. I love the sound, how simple it is and focused on a single task (great 5150 emulator), with core features such as stereo impulse loading.

I'm enjoying the Bias demo and am likely to buy this. I was quite relieved to see their sale offering was pretty meagre (30 dollars off) so I could justify waiting to buy it!

Not such a fan of Amplitube now.. TSE is much better value and both TSE and Bias sound a lot better.

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
superior drummer and komplete10 ultimate here. i'm hoping to get into hardcore recording mode soon since I haven't done anything in forever.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Superior Drummer.
Eastwest orchestral
Native Instruments synths/other stuff
Amp sim I really like a plugin I don't hear much about called Scuffham. I found it better than the free stuff and revalver personally, before I got my Axe FX.
Redwirez impulses
Redline reverb by 112db is awesome!
Stillwell plugins for mixing

From Ever

Reaction score
Guitars
For guitars, I try to stick with Logic's amps because I find they sound so good. For really heavy stuff, I generally grab the LePou plugins and mix them with Catharsis IRs or Wall of Sound. I'll use Guitar Rig here and there, but the heavy sounds sound assy. I'll often throw the TSE OD pedal in front of my amp model, provided it's not forcing my track to crap itself.

Synths
I own Komplete 9, of which I use Reaktor and Massive the most. Reaktor is definitely my favorite synth.

Drums
For my sketches, I typically use Logic's Drummer. If I'm doing EDM stuff, I'll use Battery. If I'm doing rock, my drummer uses EZD.

I try to keep it simple. I believe that when you set limits on yourself you force creativity rather than aimless noodling.

Josh Nanocchio

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using any EastWest vsts like silk, stormdrum, etc? Their exotic VST libraries are awesome :yesway:

P-Ride

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using any EastWest vsts like silk, stormdrum, etc? Their exotic VST libraries are awesome :yesway:

The best producer I know swears by them for orchestral.

I am tempted to check out one of their ethnic instruments.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have Silk and Darkside. I really like them, but to be honest I have used them very little because of the stupid f**king iLok that my guitarist has needed to keep for about a year now cause all our pre-prods and now album multi tracks are on his computer. I THINK I'd recommend Silk but to be honest it's been months since I could even use the thing.

So yeah, if you're in a band and you're not the only one working on the tracks, stay away from any plugins that require iLoks. It's not worth it.