What was your inspiration for first picking up a guitar?

• Thread starter Tyler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Hmm, I would have to say Pink Floyd's The Wall album.

Most Notably 2 songs. Comfortably Numb, and Empty Spaces/what shall we do now. Also the 2 songs from Wish you Were Here (both tracks of Shine on you crazy diamond) and Have a Cigar.

After I got started with those, and guitar is when I found all the other bad ass guitarists.

I was around 17 years old, practiced a lot, but have slacked off the last couple years, don't really practice, as I focus now more on song writing and recording. (and still rusty at guitar playing for slacking so much lol)

I am now 28 years old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
I started when I was 17, and I'm now 23. The Human Abstract got me serious about it...which was not good for a beginner to try to learn.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I think hearing the beastly verse riff of "No More Tears" i first was thinking - wow, that sounds mean as hell!! Metallica had a strong effect too. "Am I Evil" was my first full song i learned - that intro solo part is easy but impressive to 16 year old friends

berzerkergang

Banned
Reaction score
My inspiration was when I was 11 years old listening to Kiss and Acdc records, they made it look cool as hell, but when I was 12 and I heard Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth etc,,, the want to play guitar became "HOLY HELL I NEEEEED A GUITAR RIGHT NOW" lol.

My first guitar was a black hondo flying V given to me by my headbanger uncle when I was 12. He also gave me a whole crapload of songbooks and guitar mags. My parents bought me a peavey rage 158 and I was off to the races.

IamSatai

Reaction score
My dad plays, so guitars were no stranger to me as there were plenty around the house as a kid. But I only got into it when my older cousin showed me how to play Come As You Are by Nirvana on this little half size nylon stringed guitar, that smelled of piss and had steel strings on it. He gave me this little guitar to match my little fingers, and that was the start.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
AC/DC, as many people have said before. I was 12, and I thought Angus Young was the coolest guy ever. My first guitar was an SG because of that, and I still love that guitar.

theleem

Reaction score
AC/DC, as many people have said before. I was 12, and I thought Angus Young was the coolest guy ever. My first guitar was an SG because of that, and I still love that guitar.

Hell yes! I started off with one of those crapy Ibanez starter guitars, but for my fifteenth birthday I got a cheap used SG so I could look like Angus. Still my favorite guitar, love it.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Inspiration? My mum was like "start a hobby or I'll kick your ass!". :rolleyes:

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Damned.

And a goodly dose of Bay Area thrash.

TravisWright

Reaction score
Music never hit me til my sister's boyfriend at the time brought a classical guitar to our family cabin. He played blues and rock and saw it wasn't reaching me. Then he said, I bet you know this one... Dust in the Wind. I was amazed. Begged him to teach me it. He did... and I was hooked ever since. He told me never to put the guitar down and I never have. Life changer right then and there.

fassaction

Reaction score
"Freedom" by Rage Against the Machine. Man....when I heard that first opening riff, I was like holy shit, I want to play guitar.

I was 13 and I was terrible for a very long time. By the time Evil Empire came out, I could play their first album cover to cover.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
i played trombone from 5th grade so already I liked music. my mom's old boyfriend used to play metallica's black album all the time and kirk's solos made me want a guitar. so I started when I was 11 and now I'm 25. I went to college and majored in music tech with guitar as my instrument. so metallica basically guided a good chunk of my life

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

RussellNelson

Reaction score
My inspiration was watching my uncle play guitar. I always thought it was so cool when he'd pick up his acoustic guitar and sing us a song when I was younger. I bought me my first guitar and taught me how to play it :)

Audioworks

Reaction score
First it was the ending to Back To The Future where M.J. Fox kicks over his amp and all that haha. I thought it was awesome. I was 7, but didn't start till 13 years later when I heard Joe Satriani. I went home, sold all my video games and bought an axe. I'm not a Satch fan any longer sadly, but I love to play.

BaDaML

Reaction score
I wanted to play since before I knew what it was called lol, seriously. I didn't start till I was 14, but wanted an electric since I was 3. First song I ever heard (with an electric) was Taking care of business by BTO. Never been a huge fan of acoustics, but have always loved the sound of a distorted electric :)

Jemp

Reaction score
Didn't had a hobby at that time, and I only started at 18. I was starting to get into metal an rock, so I gave it a try. 4 years later and I'm still playing, but not nearly as good as I want to be so....pratice like a madman :D