Whats a good lightweight guitar?

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Basically what the title says... I regularly play an Epiphone LP, its my "go to" guitar, but I often find my left hand / fingers going numb because of the pressure from the strap over my shoulder, due to the weight of this guitar. So, I'm looking for a good lightweight guitar around the $500 range... any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Not going to lie, the Basswood RGD's I just acquired are stupidly light compared to my other 3 electrics. Parker Guitars are also incredibly light and the older Nitefly models go for very reasonable prices all the time.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
You could try another Epiphone LP. Given their quality control, I promise it will be a completely different weight then the one you have. :cool:

BaDaML

Reaction score
The Ibanez S series as mentioned is a very light guitar. One of my favorites, they are crazy thin on the sides :)

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
yep. what J20022 and Darren have suggested are rather light. having played both, i'd say the parker fly deluxe is especially light weight. if you can scrimp for one, it's an awesome piece of tech for the money.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Basswood as mentioned. Could look at something chambered or semi-hollow. Parker's are renowned for having some light models. Lots of options really, just gotta avoid the heavy woods and large constructions.

edsped

Reaction score
Ibanez S

Also check out a Comfort Strapp or a Neotech Super or Mega strap. I prefer the Neotech.

s4tch

Reaction score
My lightest guitar was a Jackson DKMGT: alder body, fixed bridge, tons of sustain and tone in just around 2,5 kgs of weight. There's the DKMG version, too, if you want to have a trem. I only had one concern: I missed the forearm contour on the body, so she had to go. Great guitar anyway.

That's the guitar I had:
07.jpg

...and the same body, neck with a trem:
627987d1281492764-sale-jackson-dkmg-made-japan-dsc00953.jpg

If you consider the S series, you may also want to check the S-Classics. I just bought one, it weights around 3 kg, one of the cheapest MIJ guitars that I had. You can find them on ebay around $200. You'll love it if you don't care about the smaller frets.

24882869_614.jpg

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I have a chambered Gibson LP Studio and I have no complaints regarding its tone.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
They resonate like crazy for being to thin. I remember reading a review for some guitar here where some guy ripped the guitar a new one basically for having "carved out so much wood"...

The first thing I noticed about my S was how it sounded acoustically (obviously) and how much it seemed like I could feel the vibration through the whole guitar when I sustained a note. The pickups in it suck of course, but I can change that in time... Maybe I'll just opt not to sell a set I have laying around... But I want Alumitones!!! :scream:

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Parker Fly Deluxes are incredible guitars and insanely light. I highly suggest them if you can afford one or find a good priced used one. Otherwise Ibanez S series. Flaxwood Aija I had was also a pretty light guitar and very resonant.

JasonRoss

Reaction score
You will have to look into the wood that the guitar is made out of to really have a good guess on how light the guitar will be. Out of all the guitars I have owned, my basswood guitar has been the lightest. I know Ibanez offers many different RG series and probably others that are made from this wood and are pretty light, especially compared to the Les Pauls. They are pretty well made too. ESP has some guitars too that are also along that price range, but their construction is primarily mahogany. My ESP is pretty light for a mahogany body so maybe look into them. Also look into the Sterling brand by Music Man. They are pretty solid for the price. I play a Music Man JP6 (which is basswood and light), but I was impressed with the Sterling JP series for the price. Good luck! Hopefully this helps somewhat!