What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
Photo1163_zps5d538941.jpg

Photo1171_zps4ea9ae51.jpg

So good.

Walterson

Reaction score
Glued in the neck and started to rough sand....
dscf0619j.jpg

Neck / body joint at the 14th fret = bad access to the higher frets?

No way:
dscf0621q.jpg

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Your work is so precise and tidy Walt.:yesway:

Not a lot going on my bench right now apart from neck blanks and a Santos and Pomelle body.
IMG_20130312_174554_667_zps17bccaef.jpg

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Right now, I am working on taking a neck apart.

Kind of the opposite of what I would like to be doing, but I am learning a valuable lesson. Be very, very careful or you will have to tear things apart in order to salvage what you can!

And I was so happy with the way this volute was coming out!

20130314_213428_zpsd5a991ae.jpg

Truss rod rout went a mm too deep towards the scarf and being so thin, cracked while I was shaping the profile. :wallbash:

Saved the fretboard, rod and headstock- I think - but the neck may be destined ffor the burn pit in favor of a new one.

We see all these nice pics of beautiful, well crafted instruments, I thought I would switch it up a bit and show the ugly, train-wreck side of luthiery. :lol:

If I can't be a shining example, I can serve as a horrible warning!

mikenothing

Reaction score
Ibanez RG7421 with a RG7621 Neck. I am carving the horns. Body + headstock will be painted flat white and will have all black hardware and white pickups.

wf4HYxW.jpeg

mikenothing

Reaction score
Agile Interceptor pro 727 I bought for 80 bucks. Needs refret and had a botched stain job. I sanded it down and reshaped the headstock. Still needs new frets, maple cap for the headstock, and will be finished with danish oil.

lWuQx6s.jpeg

tW1NQpZ.jpeg

5NU6YO9.jpeg

Walterson

Reaction score
Truss rod rout went a mm too deep towards the scarf and being so thin, cracked while I was shaping the profile. :wallbash:

That sucks! Thanks for showing. It reminds us to leave at least 3-4mm of wood between the back of the neck and the truss rod....

I got some work done too - finished my first set of pickups:

dscf0623t.jpg

Wired and wax potted:
dscf0628cg.jpg

I made them from sratch, because I couldn't find 7 String bobbins with the right string spacing and they are slanted which made thinks a little more complicated...

Test fit:

The guitar got 2 coats of oil, next is some wet sanding and another coat, hopefully the last one.

:wavey:

Walterson

Reaction score
What kind of oil are you using, Walt?

Some trade secrets need to be kept.... ;)

But I'll give you a hint: it's an polymerising hard oil used for the sealing of floors normally. It dryes/polymerises within 24hours, builds a film very fast and becomes quite hard. It's almost like a lacquer...

RobDux

Reaction score

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
This is my secret.

005-6209_zps75c5863a.jpg

Ok. I don't have any secrets.

That's not even my shop....

Walterson

Reaction score
dscf0633b.jpg

Almost done.... the nut / nut slots need some more tweaking and I'll have to work on that neck pickup, the lower bobbin needs to be moved a little towards the bass strings.

This is/was my most complicated build so far. I need to build something easy now to relax... another Blackmachine copy maybe? ;) just kidding....

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
dscf0633b.jpg

Almost done.... the nut / nut slots need some more tweaking and I'll have to work on that neck pickup, the lower bobbin needs to be moved a little towards the bass strings.

This is/was my most complicated build so far. I need to build something easy now to relax... another Blackmachine copy maybe? ;) just kidding....

Beautiful . I used to hate these guitar shapes but now I just get the whole idea.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
This is the last "workbench" pic I posted on my facebook page. Seems I need to shoot an updated one

299090_401387609943079_2140558206_n.jpg

Walterson

Reaction score
Started a new Build.... made a neck blank yesterday.

dscf0697q.jpg

Enough clamps? :scratch:

I did some planing to day and damped the wood a little for the picture:
dscf0698d.jpg

Ovangkol has some crazy grain lines.... I'll let this blank settle for a while. It's thick enough for two 7 String guitar necks with scarf joints.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Can't wait to see what you come up with this time. What's the plan for it?

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Elm table... Special project, all from the same log which has been watered for ~ a decade and lumber has been cut by a 17th century style wind powered mill. The top is prettier than the underside, I promise... Hah.
IMAG2292.jpg

IMAG2293.jpg

Latest posts