What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
My "main guitar" is a MIJ Ibanez rg470 from the late 90s that I did some restoration to before. It has been laid up for months now because I broke a string on the Floyd and wanted to do some work on it before stringing it up again.

Well I finally did the work.

- Blocked the Floyd (never done this. I love it)
- Swapped the studs for the ones that came with the Floyd I installed. The old ones were loose.
- Swapped the middle single coil for a quarter pound strat pickup. Wanted to try one of these forever, and I'm in love with middle singles lately (because of my damn stratocaster I bring to my lessons)
- chiseled the Floyd route a bit so the new Floyd I added months ago fits right.
- polished the frets and fretboard on my buffing wheel (Holy mirror shine, batman)
- oiled the fretboard
- strung it up

IMG_20190510_105628.jpg

IMG_20190510_151543.jpg

This thing friggin rips now. I love it.
Need to switch the polarity on the middle pickup as it is out of phase with the hums, so positions 2 and 4 are basically useless.
Need to balance the pickup heights a bit. They don't quite all work together right now. Air Zone Bridge, quarter pound middle, paf pro neck.

Four types of pole pieces on one guitar :)

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
My "main guitar" is a MIJ Ibanez rg470 from the late 90s that I did some restoration to before. It has been laid up for months now because I broke a string on the Floyd and wanted to do some work on it before stringing it up again.

Well I finally did the work.

- Blocked the Floyd (never done this. I love it)
- Swapped the studs for the ones that came with the Floyd I installed. The old ones were loose.
- Swapped the middle single coil for a quarter pound strat pickup. Wanted to try one of these forever, and I'm in love with middle singles lately (because of my damn stratocaster I bring to my lessons)
- chiseled the Floyd route a bit so the new Floyd I added months ago fits right.
- polished the frets and fretboard on my buffing wheel (Holy mirror shine, batman)
- oiled the fretboard
- strung it up

View attachment 69237

View attachment 69236

This thing friggin rips now. I love it.
Need to switch the polarity on the middle pickup as it is out of phase with the hums, so positions 2 and 4 are basically useless.
Need to balance the pickup heights a bit. They don't quite all work together right now. Air Zone Bridge, quarter pound middle, paf pro neck.

Four types of pole pieces on one guitar :)
This Floyd special is frustrating me though. My high e string keeps slipping out of the saddle. Tried sanding the clamp block a bit. Ordered some titanium blocks. Maybe those will help. If not I'll swap to an OFR and use the titanium blocks on that.

Deegatron

Reaction score
This Floyd special is frustrating me though. My high e string keeps slipping out of the saddle. Tried sanding the clamp block a bit. Ordered some titanium blocks. Maybe those will help. If not I'll swap to an OFR and use the titanium blocks on that.
perhaps the saddle has a dent in it as opposed to the clamp block. try swapping the high E and low E saddles and see if that fixes your problem.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
My assistant (dad) and I have been working up some necks this week.

IMG-20190522-085522.jpg

IMG-20190520-135730.jpg

Plus this body got all its cavities routed.
IMG-20190521-091432.jpg

When I get to about 800 grit on a fingerboard, I get zen.
IMG-20190521-134718.jpg

IMG-20190521-141545.jpg

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I tried deegatron's advice but I've been overzealous with my lock tightening and it seems I've stripped the lock on my Floyd special. D'oh!

It's just as well. That thing was driving me crazy. I swapped it out for an old EVH Ping Floyd I bought off my teacher a while back for a different project. I guess I'll have to buy another one.

IMG_20190529_062233.jpg

First impression is this thing seems really well made. Might have to stock up on some of the GFS ones, since they are supposedly the same thing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tried deegatron's advice but I've been overzealous with my lock tightening and it seems I've stripped the lock on my Floyd special. D'oh!

It's just as well. That thing was driving me crazy. I swapped it out for an old EVH Ping Floyd I bought off my teacher a while back for a different project. I guess I'll have to buy another one.

View attachment 69800

First impression is this thing seems really well made. Might have to stock up on some of the GFS ones, since they are supposedly the same thing.

Try to find some Takeuchi TRS-PRO units. I've seen them go for as little as $20 and they're damn solid.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Trying to decide between birdseye/burl maple, or just going with classic flame maple for my boogie faceplate. The flame is a placeholder piece, the real piece is more figured.
2.jpg

1.png