What's the worst buy/sell interaction you've experienced?

• Thread starter HelenKellersCaddie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenKellersCaddie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw a similar thread on thumpertalk and since I've bought and sold a fair amount, I figured I'd post here: What's the worst interaction you've had with someone when buying/selling/trading gear that's made you shake your head and wonder what the hell is wrong with certain people?

For me, I made a trade with someone from a couple hours away where I traded away a Martin acoustic for a Bogner half stack. Was an even deal price-wise and everything was in great condition on both sides. About 6 months later, the guy messages me asking to trade back because he doesn't want to play acoustic music any more. By this time, I'd traded that stack into another, so it was already long gone. I'd told him as much, and he proceeded to blow my messenger up for the next week asking me to get it back and trade him back for the acoustic. Threats were sent to me, off-tangent subjects were brought up, and I ended up blocking the guy.

So what crazy shit have you dealt with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this until this thread, but I had a guy call me about a CL ad I had placed a day or two earlier. He was obviously drunk and incoherent for the most part. I let him ramble on for a good 10 minutes or so before I hung up. It was both disturbing and hilarious.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I supposed you mean guitar related and not from my time as a manwhore?

One time I sold a guitar on reverb. The buyer accused me of cutting and pasting the pics from someone else's listing. So I re-sent him the pic of the guitar with the shipping label - with his name and address - lying on top of the guitar. He still said it was fraud and contacted Reverb CS demanding a full refund. He told Reverb CS I stole the pics from online. Guess where? He had given them my listing from here lol. I told Reverb duh that was my listing that's why it had the same pics. They sided with him and told me to just take the return.

It was signature requested so I told him to refuse delivery and have it returned to sender. Instead he took delivery and kept the guitar for over a week. When I got it back, it was very obviously opened, and he played the shit out of it including breaking a string (it was freshly set up with a $12 set of NYXL).

neurosis

Reaction score
Had someone check out a guitar. The person wasn't careful and almost dropped it, then in turning missed the wall with the headstock by a hair. They played on an old amp they brought that clearly needed a repair. Nothing sounded right or made sense but they were happy and bought the guitar. In the weeks after things on the guitar that had been with me as new for years started breaking one by one. The guy insinuated I sold a lemon and began insisting I give a solution. I blocked him.

Another person purchased a pedal from me. I had to g out of the country for a funeral so I reimbursed them immediately. The person, despite being refunded immediately got pissed and put the funeral into question as a lame excuse. I replied I wish my relative didn't die so they could have their pedal. Thankfully got no reply.

HelenKellersCaddie

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this until this thread, but I had a guy call me about a CL ad I had placed a day or two earlier. He was obviously drunk and incoherent for the most part. I let him ramble on for a good 10 minutes or so before I hung up. It was both disturbing and hilarious.
Sorry, I got ahold of the whisky and really really wanted the guitar.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the buyer is an SSO member for this one.

I sold someone my ProTone Misha whatever it was called limited ed OD pedal. I brought it to the UPS store to ship. Took pics and video. It was in mint condition. I asked the manager to tape the box shut and left it with him. Well apparently he decided to repack it. To do this he used packing tape and taped the bubble wrap to the pedal.

When the buyer received it he pulled on the tape and it took the screened top off the pedal. I felt bad for the guy because he was a fanboi (hence why he must be an SSO member :)). I told him to put in a claim and I’d send them all my photos and video from the store that it was in like new condition before the dummy F’d it up.

But he really wanted the pedal fixed. So I reached out to the owner (Dennis?) of ProTone pedals and asked what he could do. He said Misha no longer works with ProTone so there’s “nothing legally he could do”. I said it should be a warranty repair so it has nothing to do with whether Misha is an endorsee any more. Still no. I asked him if I (or both of us) paid him if he could do something special (that didn’t violate what was probably a cease and desist lol) for the buyer to fix it. Anything? He still said no and then refused to answer calls or emails after that.

F ProTone.

Screenshot_20160921-142353.jpeg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think the buyer is an SSO member for this one.

I sold someone my ProTone Misha whatever it was called limited ed OD pedal. I brought it to the UPS store to ship. Took pics and video. It was in mint condition. I asked the manager to tape the box shut and left it with him. Well apparently he decided to repack it. To do this he used packing tape and taped the bubble wrap to the pedal.

When the buyer received it he pulled on the tape and it took the screened top off the pedal. I felt bad for the guy because he was a fanboi (hence why he must be an SSO member :)). I told him to put in a claim and I’d send them all my photos and video from the store that it was in like new condition before the dummy F’d it up.

But he really wanted the pedal fixed. So I reached out to the owner (Dennis?) of ProTone pedals and asked what he could do. He said Misha no longer works with ProTone so there’s “nothing legally he could do”. I said it should be a warranty repair so it has nothing to do with whether Misha is an endorsee any more. Still no. I asked him if I (or both of us) paid him if he could do something special (that didn’t violate what was probably a cease and desist lol) for the buyer to fix it. Anything? He still said no and then refused to answer calls or emails after that.

F ProTone.

View attachment 130739

Sucks for the buyer but I have to say I relish in the thought of one less of those pedals out in the world.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Like 2009ish I was selling stuff on here through the classifieds. I wasn't trying to make money off any of it. I was getting out of the army and moving overseas and needed to get rid of stuff asap.

A guy in a band from Taiwan bought my BRJ. I had paid 3500 for it new and sold it for something stupid like 1600 because I didn't like it. The guy wanted the absolute cheapest possible shipping which wound up taking months and with no tracking. He started getting agitated with me because it was taking so long. Then when it did arrive it was damaged in shipping with the tip of the headstock broken off. He would have been able to file a claim if it weren't for the fact he wanted me to declare it at like a hundred dollars value so he wouldn't have to pay any import fees. So naturally he starts trying to accuse me of sending him a guitar that was broken to begin with.

That was the last time I ever dealt with any of that bullshit. I don't do shipping without tracking and I don't devalue anything on paperwork. If you can't afford the fees you can't afford the guitar.

I forget the name but this guy was some kind of big deal metal band guy in Taiwan and collected BRJs. Idk why he would cheap out on getting it there safely.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Some dude on here but not a reg poster.. just scrounging for gear. I sold him three pedals and one had no power cord ( as I had stated in the ad). But he pulls this "Well if that one had a power cord I'd take it too". So I'm like fine.. I'll include one. Then we agreed on a price which of course was less than I had listed ( and shit.. I was listing them for a damn good price to begin with... basically NIB for almost half of new). But whatever. Then after I'm ready to ship he asks me if I can go halvsies on the shipping. I finally had ebough and told him no way I could take another hit as he was already getting a screaming deal on all three. Asked him after he received them if he could leave me some positive feedback. No reply.. He just ghosted me and was gone.

Selling pedals sucks anyway... almost a total wash and for a buncha hassle.

gnoll

Reaction score
Saw a similar thread on thumpertalk and since I've bought and sold a fair amount, I figured I'd post here: What's the worst interaction you've had with someone when buying/selling/trading gear that's made you shake your head and wonder what the hell is wrong with certain people?

For me, I made a trade with someone from a couple hours away where I traded away a Martin acoustic for a Bogner half stack. Was an even deal price-wise and everything was in great condition on both sides. About 6 months later, the guy messages me asking to trade back because he doesn't want to play acoustic music any more. By this time, I'd traded that stack into another, so it was already long gone. I'd told him as much, and he proceeded to blow my messenger up for the next week asking me to get it back and trade him back for the acoustic. Threats were sent to me, off-tangent subjects were brought up, and I ended up blocking the guy.

So what crazy shit have you dealt with?

I'm gonna assume the best here, which is that your username is a joke.

If so, you might not be aware that the image of Sweden among some groups of people is pretty bad right now.

The terrorism threat level was raised a month ago.

People running around with usernames like yours doesn't exactly help.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Scene: The Swedish Security Services HQ

"Sir, I don't know if you've seen this...it's the seven string guitar forum"

"What?"

"They rag on Kiesel guitars and people nitpicking custom builds"

"Are you talking to me?"

"Yes, listen, Ola Strandberg has had peoples custom orders in for years at this point without fulfilling them"

"...."

"Someone even sent him a large block of wood across the Atlantic at great personal cost"

"I'm going to have to remove you from your duties"

"There is an individual of interest on there with the username "FvckSweden"

"Great Scott, raise the terror alert level this instant!"

gnoll

Reaction score
Scene: The Swedish Security Services HQ

"Sir, I don't know if you've seen this...it's the seven string guitar forum"

"What?"

"They rag on Kiesel guitars and people nitpicking custom builds"

"Are you talking to me?"

"Yes, listen, Ola Strandberg has had peoples custom orders in for years at this point without fulfilling them"

"...."

"Someone even sent him a large block of wood across the Atlantic at great personal cost"

"I'm going to have to remove you from your duties"

"There is an individual of interest on there with the username "FvckSweden"

"Great Scott, raise the terror alert level this instant!"

Damn you're funny.

Well, it seems offensive and unnecessary to me, fuck 10 million people?

Even if it's a joke I don't think it's funny.

And how do we know it even is a joke? There's so much shit being flung at Sweden right now, I'm not making that up. Could easily be someone who's really trying to spread hate, be it for personal or political reasons.

I don't think it's cool to just say fuck a whole country.

gnoll

Reaction score
Like, I'm trying to explain where I'm coming from.

In more "normal times" it might have been easier to shrug it off as a lame joke.

But it's like... if it's not a joke then what the hell? Fuck you too. And if it is a joke, it's not funny, it's fucking offensive.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Dude bought a very expensive used custom guitar from me from the UK to the US.
It got held up on export for a while with UPS wanting to clear the materials information despite already having been informed the details. He already got annoyed about this little wait.
It then took forever in transit, and had further huge import delays to the US. During this time I had absolutely useless UPS customer service, including being told very casually and deadpan on the phone that the parcel had been lost (which wasn't true at all). It seemed the only way I had luck getting this found and moving was due to by chance having a backdoor email address of some nice lady working in UPS somewhere for some other reason.
Finally when it seemed to be perhaps a day or two from buyers door, he loses his shit over having to fill out some uncommon form to confirm it didn't contain soandso materials. Decided he simply would not do it, and contacted UPS himself to turn the parcel around to me without telling me.
Had I not gotten ontop of this I'd have been hit with a ~500 return shipping bill which is almost double what I paid to get it there.
Thankfully I was able to divert it last minute to a US friend somewhat local to where it was, and have him sell it from there.
Buyer surprisingly was tolerant of me taking a considerable time to refund him with the second sale (as the money he had paid me was long gone with the weeks it spent in transit)
Good time :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.