What's your favorite DAW?

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
A couple months ago, I upgraded to a new computer for the first time in about 7 years. I occasionally did some recording with an old version of Cubase that I'd had since before I even bought that computer. Alas, the old version of Cubase doesn't play so well with the new version of Windows, and it's too old to simply upgrade. I've been playing around with Reaper, and it's alright, but it's quite different from what I'm used to.

I liked the workflow in Cubase and I knew reasonably well how to use it, but I figure I should evaluate other options before I blow another wad of cash. There are so many options out there that it's overwhelming to research, and my experience is too limited to really be sure.

So, what's your favorite DAW, and why?

(Also, if possible, please compare it to Cubase, as that's where my limited experience is.)

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
My favourite DAW at the moment, and what I'm running alongside Pro Tools 10 is Presonus' Studio One.

They have a full version demo you can try out.

Studio One

It's easy to use, full featured with some really cool features. Doesn't have shit you don't need and is very fast and easy on system resources. It also has a somewhat similar workflow to Cubase. Slightly faster for getting straight into recording than Cubase, and pretty easy to get your head around more advanced functionality too.

You could always look at getting a new version of Cubase as well.

Pro Tools is great, but probably not your kind of thing.

No matter what you choose though, you're going to have to spend a little bit of time learning the software. Reaper is cheap, powerful and will cover all your basic needs if you want it to.

Try out Presonus though, it's really enjoyable to work in and tends to inspire my creativity.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
le cubase for me, i can easily spot some problems with it but it has become an extension of me :lol:

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
Right now I am running Pro Tools 10 as well.

The worst thing about it is if you are recording a song with time changes (5/4 to 3/4 to 9/8 whatever...) it really fucks up with the click.

Why doesn't a company make a tap tempo click?

But other than that I do love Pro Tools.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
Been using Reaper for a few years now. I know it inside out so I have always been a tad reluctant to move onto anything new. I never liked Pro Tools, although I haven't tried the newest version, 9 was just ugly to me. Cubase was alright but I thought the UI was kind of messy and distracting.

Studio One however is something I have been wanting to try for awhile, heard good things about it.

JoeytheChoady

JoeytheChoady
Reaction score
Cubase has always been my favorite. I've used pro tools and it's cool and all, but I guess i'm just more comfortable with Cubase.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Right now I am running Pro Tools 10 as well.

The worst thing about it is if you are recording a song with time changes (5/4 to 3/4 to 9/8 whatever...) it really fucks up with the click.

Why doesn't a company make a tap tempo click?

But other than that I do love Pro Tools.

Also lack of 64-bit... that's probably the biggest issue with Pro Tools :lol:

As well as the lack of VST support, while heavily restricting RTAS licencing and coding...

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Also lack of 64-bit... that's probably the biggest issue with Pro Tools :lol:

As well as the lack of VST support, while heavily restricting RTAS licencing and coding...

I've been told PT goes 64 bit in version 11. I don't know if that's been published anywhere but it was from an inside source. Fucking finally!

What's the click issue? I've never noticed that but I have not done extensive recording with signature changes, just programming.

Also, what's with the real time bounce :(

Trypios

Reaction score
I'm using Nuendo (which is same as Cubase actually). Never had any click problems, but I know Ableton live has tap tempo click. I don't see what the big deal is with PT; I hate those monopolistic software-hardware compatibility issues

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
It's the industry standard and was one of the first DAWs availablep
and adding to that was one of the leading names in the music world
for a long time, as they still are under Avid.
Because of they're early roots planted in with studios everywhere
they've become the standard DAW to use everywhere.
That's what the big deal is.
Studios all around here in Nashville, and college campus' too, use Pro Tools
because mostly everyone uses it.

But I like Ableton, or Logic.
It's all the same.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I actually use garageband a lot. I like the layout and the automations and such. But it lacks a lot of things i want like multiple time signatures, templates, a decent piano roll. I started using Cubase LE 5 that i got with my alesis interface. Im certainly not used to it yet so ive just been starting out by trying to use the drum editor. Not been going well.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I use and love Logic Pro 9. The Flex-Time feature is great and easy to use for timing issues, and it works with pretty much any type of instrument you need. I'm really just a big fan of its user interface. It's much easier (for me) to navigate and do what I need to do.

I've used Pro Tools a little in the past few months, and I can honestly say that editing tracks is a breeze in it. However, I'm slowly figuring out how to transfer my mode of operation in PT to Logic, and now that I'm getting better at it, PT seems like less of a necessity to me.

I also hate recording in PT. Compared to Logic it seems like a hassle. I know some will disagree, and maybe it's because I've used Logic for far longer than PT, but it's what works best for me.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks, but I still don't see what the big deal is

It's the industry standard and was one of the first DAWs availablep
and adding to that was one of the leading names in the music world
for a long time, as they still are under Avid.
Because of they're early roots planted in with studios everywhere
they've become the standard DAW to use everywhere.
That's what the big deal is.
Studios all around here in Nashville, and college campus' too, use Pro Tools
because mostly everyone uses it.

But I like Ableton, or Logic.
It's all the same.

It's a little more complicated than "everyone uses Pro Tools because everyone uses Pro Tools"

It has a quite a few things going for it in a professional environment.

1) Very powerful editing, routing and mixing tools.

2) Pro Tools HD is a wicked platform. PCIe card mean ridiculously low latency even at very high sample rates with tiny buffers and no dropouts or clicks/pops. Add to that onboard processing for non-native Pro Tools card, and you can be working on huge projects with hundreds of tracks and still track more without even needing to worry about latency or buffer sizes.

3) TDM, AS and RTAS pretty much cover any base you could want in the professional world when it comes to plugins. Non printing pre-play-render plugins are win.

4) Integration with the Studio Environment. Most DAWs don't provide a working link with SPMTE and MIDI timecode, which allows you to link with large format consoles... and also video...

5) Post Production is Pro Tools biggest and strongest market. It kills most other programs for this. One of the cool things that can happen is that the Designed Special Effects guys, the spoken word and other audio post-production guys and the scoring guys can all work off of the same project. So once the post-production guys have finished up everything but the score, they can have the composer compose and record into that Pro Tools session and mix it themselves.

I could probably think of more... but I've had beer.

m4rK

Reaction score
I've been using Sonar for so many years I'm scared to change. It has good work flow for me, so I have no reason use anything else. I did take a stab at Reaper for a minute but came right back to what was comfortable for me.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
I still use an old version of Acid Pro for writing, it simply doesn't get in the way like most programmes and is very capable.

So many DAW's are written just to sell training, literature and dongles. Endless complexity to satisfy a marketing machine.

Reading sound on sound's recent article on the new version of Pro Tools, it seemed clear they were doing their best to extract the maximum price for their updates. I tried version 8 (?) with the Digi 002 and found it deliberately obscure to use, coming from Logic, which was similar with secret menus hidden under trees of hidden menus.

I choose not to spend time navigating cryptic menus etc. and concentrating on my music. My time is too important, especially when GUI's which are not obstructive and deliberately obscure (for profit purposes/require "training") already exist. I imagine that's why PreSonus are getting name checked so often, the software doesn't slow down the creative process.

Afterall, it doesn't take long to render tracks into a format that can be easily imported into ProTools (or other), so why fight with it at the creative phase?

pentecost

Reaction score
reaper is fantastic in its niche, but it certainly has its shortcomings. there's a lot under the hood, but i don't think its potential for epic workflow really shines unless you're looking to get your hands dirty with a 'user-tailored' experience.
i wouldn't recommend sonar, had too many problems myself. it's a great drive, but only until it blows a gasket.