What's your favorite DAW?

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blazerok

Reaction score
I am currently using Reaper, but i think i'll be following this thread closely, because even though i used Reaper since i started mixing, i'm now wondering if there is any DAW that i would rather use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zeth

Reaction score
Another thing to consider when picking a DAW is it's popularity with regards to a specific genre. For instance, I use ableton and when I search youtube for tutorials helping with metal I'll rarely ever find ableton specific videos. But when searching for skrillex style bass I'll get an exact play by play of how to make that sound in ableton.

As a result, I tend to incorporate more electronic sounds into my music... Then again I can be a very impressionable musician :D

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I used to use Sony Acid(v 4-5) but have switched to Cakewalk Sonar. I don't think I'm switching to any other DAW. I know how to get around in Sonar and once you get familiar with a DAW you really don't want to spend time re-learning a new DAW. Tried Reaper, Cubase and others but came back to Sonar every time. Its just personal preference.

Tyler

Reaction score
Im poor and have been using REAPER :p but I did get the trial yesterday for PreSonus Studio One and have been quite enjoying it. Cubase wasn't my fancy at all when I tried it out

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
i've been using a mix of audacity and Acidpro for about 2 years now. but since i upgraded to a desktop i can't even INSTALL acidpro anymore, guess it's time to upgrade to something newer.

Nirob

The Silent One
Reaction score
i like cubase/nuendo. reaper is also very good.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've been using Sonar for so many years I'm scared to change. It has good work flow for me, so I have no reason use anything else.
I was this way with Cubase for years, Cubasis before that, then I kept having experiences of it crashing my system, on multiple computers.

I made the switch about 3 years ago to Sonar Producer 6, then to Producer 8 last year.

The thing is, my bass player us on Logic on his Macbook Pro.
In order to work on the same songs/files, we have to do a .omf export/import back & forth to each other. We have everything backed up on crash plan and a separate FTP server, but it's still cumbersome.

Ideally, we'd like to be on the same software, and simply send the whole file & open it up & start working. Upgrading to an iMac would serve this objective nicely, but no $$ right now.

MOTU DP is now cross platform, so that's of interest.

Just thoughts.

fassaction

Reaction score
I only use reaper because I am a cheap bastard.....before that, I used a bootlegged copy of Cool Edit Pro 2 for years.

Ive even received copies of Cubase with purchases, never used them....still sitting in the CD sleeves, in the boxes of the items I bought.

orange1

Reaction score
Been using Sonar 8.5 for years. I got pro tools 10 but haven't touched it much but I plan to. I bought PT10 thinking it was 64 bit! lol waiting for the 64 bit version and windows 8!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I used Cubase for a few years and loved it.

I've been using Ableton for the last.. 5, maybe 6 years, now? Anyway, I just find that the UI (User Interface) is much more friendly, providing streamlined ways to accomplish a lot of the more mundane tasks that usually come with working on audio inside the box. Cubase (understanding I stopped upgrading after version 4) has a much more 'old school' UI, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but not my preference having become accustomed to Ableton's UI.

It's worth trying the demo, at least:
Ableton - Downloads

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
this is hard to say

for tracking and edits/fades I like to use Pro Tools, I’m just used to it, never really liked mixing with it though.

As for mixing I like to use Logic, it just mixes everything so well, the plugins I find are better. But after using Pro tools for tracking so long the tracking in Logic feels alien and not quite as easy to just do the edits I want.

Guess I really just need to get my finger out and push myself to learn to track everything in logic, cus I really don’t want to keep switching between Pro Tools and Logic every time

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Is it ok to say I hate them all equally?

I use reaper because it's the best cpu wise and it's pretty stable but man, I've had them all and they are rough.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Back a while I was using Cubase SX3 and it was awesome. Cubase 4 was pretty rough so I jumped ship. I'm pretty sure that's when Yamaha bought Steinberg and they were trying to get all proprietary with the hardware. From what I hear Cubase 5 is much better. As of now I'm using Samplitude Pro and I'm digging it. I also use Reaper which is great for the money and Acid Pro for loop based projects.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
I find it odd that no one has mentioned FL Studio. Honestly just because fruity is in the name doesn't mean it sucks:lol:! I've used it for years.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
That's because until recently it was terribly bad at recording and mixing audio.
when you say terribly bad do you mean user friendly and consolidated for quick work flow?

I joke. It hasn't always been good but it is now what I said prior, user friendly, consolidated, sand really versatile. Seriously guys, FL Studio 10. Give it a chance!