When did Cort start making such nice guitars?

• Thread starter Hoss632
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kinda curious on how you buy a Cort in the States. Not finding much luck on getting one of those models I linked.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kinda curious on how you buy a Cort in the States. Not finding much luck on getting one of those models I linked.

They're disturbed by D&H in the US. There is a dealer locator on thier site, but shooting them an email with what you want is probably the fastest way. They have something like 250 dealers in the US, so it's probably in stock somewhere unless it's a brand new 2021 model.

GC stopped carrying most Cort stuff when they started doing thier own Cort rebrands under the "Laguna" and "Ocean" names. Sam Ash sells Cort made stuff as "Brownsville".

There are authorized dealers selling brand new ones in Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/33216477-co...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

exo

Reaction score

They’re not in almost ANY of the major chains in the US. best bet is either Reverb, or stumbling on a local shop that carries them, as was the case for me when I bought my KX500MS a few years back. GREAT LOOKING..... But it’s definitely a “bang for the buck” thing rather than “prestige level”sleeper....probably more or less an alternative to an Agile.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They're disturbed by D&H in the US. There is a dealer locator on thier site, but shooting them an email with what you want is probably the fastest way. They have something like 250 dealers in the US, so it's probably in stock somewhere unless it's a brand new 2021 model.

GC stopped carrying most Cort stuff when they started doing thier own Cort rebrands under the "Laguna" and "Ocean" names. Sam Ash sells Cort made stuff as "Brownsville".

There are authorized dealers selling brand new ones in Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/33216477-co...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

They’re not in almost ANY of the major chains in the US. best bet is either Reverb, or stumbling on a local shop that carries them, as was the case for me when I bought my KX500MS a few years back. GREAT LOOKING..... But it’s definitely a “bang for the buck” thing rather than “prestige level”sleeper....probably more or less an alternative to an Agile.

I guess that ash one I posted is either a new model or discontinued model. That's the main one I was looking for, yet no luck.

Also the weird part is that one picture I found of the ash one (G200DX) showed it having a 2-point trem, yet every other picture I've found, even the original, shows it having a 6-point.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Man I remember like 10 years or so ago I was in a GC and they had a Hiram Bullock sig on the wall. I was just fucking around that day, nothing much else to do and stopped in to check out the used inventory.

That thing stock had seriously great pickups, Sperzels, the works. A great neck too. They wanted $125 for it and I went to the bank to grab the cash, was gone like 8 minutes. In that time someone came in, played it and loved it and bought it on the spot. I passed the dude on the way back in. Still jones after that guitar.

mbardu

Reaction score
More GAS! Decided on a Baritone 6 by ESP but this is next on the radar- Interesting how you can set up email notification for release dates where you live!

View attachment 90237

Check out the webpage there’s some great playing:

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=101040&it_id=1608598508&page=1

Stainless steel frets, roasted Maple, Fishman, nice scale lengths with nice neutral frets for chords, luminlays, nice truss rod setup, nice radius, what looks like perfect upper frets access... Too bad it's black.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Stainless steel frets, roasted Maple, Fishman, nice scale lengths with nice neutral frets for chords, luminlays, nice truss rod setup, nice radius, what looks like perfect upper frets access... Too bad it's black.

Yea same here. I might overlook that, since I don’t really mind a black guitar, but I think a natural finish would be better. Also not really sure fanfrets are going to help me with 1 to 4 finger stretches on the low positions. Then again this one is straight at the nut! I dunno really it’s new territory...

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Cort G250. I only paid £120 new (£250 RRP, so I got a bargain), back in 2006, and it's far better than a more expensive Squire (which is made by Cort!).

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
More GAS! Decided on a Baritone 6 by ESP but this is next on the radar- Interesting how you can set up email notification for release dates where you live!

View attachment 90237

Check out the webpage there’s some great playing:

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=101040&it_id=1608598508&page=1
You may want to try out this and a comparable Ibanez RGD (what the X700 is a copy of) before pulling the trigger. I believe an 'Axion' series RGD would be very similar specs, but with a 25.5" - 27" scale length (probably preferable to 24.75" - 25.5" for down-tuning).

mbardu

Reaction score
You may want to try out this and a comparable Ibanez RGD (what the X700 is a copy of) before pulling the trigger. I believe an 'Axion' series RGD would be very similar specs, but with a 25.5" - 27" scale length (probably preferable to 24.75" - 25.5" for down-tuning).

Don't know that it would make sense to cross-shop those two. A benefit from the Cort is precisely that it has a pretty rare shorter multiscale, if that's what you're after.
Longer multiscales are much more common and not for everyone, and it's going to mean very different guitars for different purposes.
On top of that the Ibanez lacks some of the specs that make the Cort attractive.
Although at least (and surprinsingly for Ibanez) something like an RGDIM6FM is not black though, so that's a plus :)

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Don't know that it would make sense to cross-shop those two. A benefit from the Cort is precisely that it has a pretty rare shorter multiscale, if that's what you're after.
Longer multiscales are much more common and not for everyone, and it's going to mean very different guitars for different purposes.
On top of that the Ibanez lacks some of the specs that make the Cort attractive.
Although at least (and surprinsingly for Ibanez) something like an RGDIM6FM is not black though, so that's a plus :)

Thanks to both of you!

I was seriously looking at the Ibanez, but I’m not sure 1st through 3rd position chords would be easy to play across all 6 strings?

Also just a ridiculous thing that really bugs me, but I cannot stand the nut on the Ibanez it looks rather cheap!

Also not sure it fanfret is going to help with aging fingers that grew up playing classical. It may be harder to relearn wrist position to accommodate the multi scale, which is partly why the parallel nut looks appealing.

Yadayada...!!!

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
the updated cort multi scales aren't comparable to the Ibanez's in any way anymore.

The corts are actually well designed.

The 6 is a shorter scale 1st fret parallel like the strandbergs

the 7 is redesigned for a 9th fret parallel this year

the 8 has always been an 9th.

The Ibanez's are horrendous.

PonStan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are definetly super good-looking and balanced. Reasonably priced as well. Good call, thanks.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
I was intrigued by that Cort G300 too, it's like $500 brand new where I live. But then is no one concerned with its basswood body? And the shape reminds me of guitars in animes where the maker attempts to feature a strat but it ends up being disfigured.

There are a couple of youtube reviews of the guitar...seems like more of a promo push from Cort than usual. Having said that, it's worked on me. I'm really interested in the G300. One of the video reviewers looked inside one pocket or other and confirmed that the body actually has a 1/4" maple top. I like that as a spec, and it also indicates a seriousness about this mid-level model that surprises me. The pickups are also legit.

Then you add in the stainless steel frets, and this looks even more like something that an OEM manufacturer is making to attract brands. Almost a loss leader. Anyway, that's what I'm telling myself. Makes it easier to click on Buy.

Estilo

Reaction score
A bunch of Suhr moderns and Ibanez J-Customs are made of "basswood" while a ton of Harley Bentons are made of "mahogany" so I wouldn't judge a guitar solely based on that.

As for the shapes, I like them. Nice offset. But to each their own of course.

Yep, point taken there tonewood isn't everything. I like to think I'd want ash/alder in such an application, but blind me to the specs and I'd be first to admit I might not be able to tell the difference.

Really not sure what it is about the shape that irks me. I actually find the G series shape appealing on the lower end G series models.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I've checked out the Cort guitars at NAMM and I was really surprised at just how nice they were. I always liked Cort and owned some really good ones in the past, but they've definitely taken some big strides forward with their latest offerings.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Their Les Pa... Arched top single cut model (the CR) is very nice, I like their neck carve more than Epiphone and a bit more than some Gibson neck profiles but considering the price... Also, they feel great. I have always been a fan of their G series since I tried my friend's G285 the one with EMGs (SA-SA-89), roller nut, wilky trem... The only thing I didn't like was the roller nut, what a pain in the ass but apart from that .. excellent feeling neck and the wilky trem felt nice. Really solid guitars, I would like to try one Solar considering they are in the same price range (solar a bit more maybe). Thing is I can try Cort before buying but can't try Solar...