When does tinnitus stop being cool and start being sad?

• Thread starter T_Gobbs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I later found out that it wasn't true, but someone once told me "when a noise makes your ears ring, that's the last time you will hear that frequency because the ringing is those receptors dying" and that scared the hell out of me. This was when I was either in my late teens or early 20s and I've tried to be careful since...but it was too late. I have ringing that sometimes keeps me up at night. I assume my precautions i started taking kept it from getting too much worse.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
It wasn't cool, ever. Protect your hearing while you still can.

inb4 the OP "can't hear you" yet again.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
When was it cool?

Hearing is one of your best tools as musician.
I have people in my family who have developed bad hearing over the years. They were really into music, but barely listen to anything nowdays because of their challenged hearing. That is really sad.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
When you’ve already got tinnitus, but severe stress turns it into pulsatile tinnitus and you can feel and hear your heartbeat in your ear. I can ignore the ringing when it happens, but if I had to deal with the pulsing on a regular basis I might actually go insane.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Having every fucking eeeeee in your head from every library book ever on constant loop from has never been a crust punk battle vest, my guy.

My 40oz already poured out if you hear low frequency droning instead of all your tweeters are belong to arse.

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I have ringing that sometimes keeps me up at night. I assume my precautions i started taking kept it from getting too much worse.

Ditto. I sleep with a 12 hour brown noise track, keeps the ringing off. I wear earplugs pretty much all the time now, and at ever single show. It at least hasn't gotten worse, and last time my hearing was tested they told me I hadn't lost anything yet.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
That supposed to be funny? Tinnitus is no joke.

You’re not wrong. I remember reading something when I was looking into the pulsatile tinnitus that there’s a higher rate of depression and anxiety with people who deal with tinnitus and it’s linked to some suicide attempts.

I can absolutely understand that; while I’m fine with the normal tinnitus because I’ve had it as long as I can remember, the pulsatile stuff can be infuriating. When it’s really bad, it’s starts pretty crazy in the morning and pops in and out throughout the day. It’s like someone is tapping their finger inside your ear while you’re trying to get shit done. I’ve absolutely self-medicated in efforts to reduce the annoyance.

We’re often quick to forget when things are good how something that seems small can become a nightmare for us if it’s not part of our regular life. Sometimes I get twitching in my thumbs and forefingers that doesn’t stop for hours, you’d think a little spasm/twitch wouldn’t have a big effect, but after a few hours you can’t stop focusing on it, or you end up typing weird, hitting wrong buttons on a remote, the annoyance adds up quick.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I later found out that it wasn't true, but someone once told me "when a noise makes your ears ring, that's the last time you will hear that frequency because the ringing is those receptors dying" and that scared the hell out of me. This was when I was either in my late teens or early 20s and I've tried to be careful since...but it was too late. I have ringing that sometimes keeps me up at night. I assume my precautions i started taking kept it from getting too much worse.
That’s a line from Children of Men - maybe it came from there?