Where were you at 16?

• Thread starter groovemasta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

carnagereap

Trained Assassin.
Reaction score
Not to hate on you, especially on a forum but saying you're 13 and going to be the best guitarist in the world renders everything else you say invalid.... could be just me though.

... I don't think you got the joke.

And the Possibility of getting that job over More experienced People?

Is high once I go to college and get a degree. There aren't many people interested in music around here that I know of, so it might be open if I apply for the job. Again, all jobs are susceptable to chance. I could go and get the job, I could go and not get the job. It depends.

Pengu

Reaction score
Well I'm 15, I've been playing for around 2 years now. I know no theory what so ever but I have been meaning to get my head around it since it will improve my playing and composing a lot. My playing on the other hand is not to shabby , I can play some AAL, Periphery, Chon and other prog stuff but not to the full extent.
Metronome helps A LOT :lol:
Sweeping isn't to bad either. My alternate picking is pretty sweet, but definitely the one thing I need to improve on is timing. I've also never had a musical lesson in my life, but then again I guess neither have a lot of amazing players.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
... I don't think you got the joke.

Is high once I go to college and get a degree. There aren't many people interested in music around here that I know of, so it might be open if I apply for the job. Again, all jobs are susceptable to chance. I could go and get the job, I could go and not get the job. It depends.

I'm sorry to Put you down, And I mean this Purely as Truth,

But that Is Bullshit.

I would Hire an Experienced Luthier over a new one for instance,
Hire an Experienced Carpenter or Guitar Tech or Teacher or anything over a New one,

And That is what most people do,

You have to Work your way up.

Again this is no dig at you personally.

carnagereap

Trained Assassin.
Reaction score
I'm sorry to Put you down, And I mean this Purely as Truth,

But that Is Bullshit.

I would Hire an Experienced Luthier over a new one for instance,
Hire an Experienced Carpenter or Guitar Tech or Teacher or anything over a New one,

And That is what most people do,

You have to Work your way up.

Again this is no dig at you personally.

You are not putting me down, I don't feel offended at all. You are simply stating what you think the reality is. But going to college is what is going to get me experience. Any teacher you've ever seen had to start as new teacher. They didn't just become a teacher, they went to college, applied for the job, and got it. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm aware that my dreams are big, that's why I have back-up plans. I have books on programming, and I have people that can teach me. My guitar teacher went to Berklee, a local drum teacher went to Berklee, and I know someone else who went to Berklee. If I can get all three to write me a recommendation letter, plus my knowledge of music and good grades, my chances will be better. But again, I have back-up plans.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
This thread is fairly derailed, and I know this is further off topic, so I apologise in advance.

If you want you job to be musical, you may very well have a fun job you love, but you will being almost certainly sacrificing a nice house, expensive car, holidays abroad, and other stuff like that. If you decide that's what you want, then fine, but if you feel a stronger attachment to material things than music and the pursuit thereof, turn back. I am slightly further down a similar path that you explained, and everyone in my course is fully aware that they'll have fun, low-paying jobs at best. My justification is that if I get a job in which I partake in music for a living, why would I need a holiday? (Although that may well come back and bight me in the arse in twenty years.)

Tomo009

Reaction score
I believe it, a lot of people just practice like fuck and are lucky enough to not have too many other obligations.

I did too, in the first 2 years when I had not much on I would usually practice 5-8 hours a day. I was nowhere near that good after 1 year :lol:

But yeah I started just before I turned 16, so at 16 I was terrible

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
at 16 i was...doing vocals for an alt rock band.

I didn't really pick up a guitar until i was about 19.

and i didn't take it seriously until 22....
though now i'm writing progressive post sludge and, for lack of a better word, Djent.

infernalservice

Reaction score
Playing in my first band. I remember really digging in on alt picking technique around 16. Probably took close to a year to get it where I wanted in terms of speed AND control. Speed is easy, but controlling your picking is a whole different level. I used to make up weird syncopated gallops and play triplets with "holes" in them against a metronome. Started sweeping around that time too.

carnagereap

Trained Assassin.
Reaction score
This thread is fairly derailed, and I know this is further off topic, so I apologise in advance.

If you want you job to be musical, you may very well have a fun job you love, but you will being almost certainly sacrificing a nice house, expensive car, holidays abroad, and other stuff like that. If you decide that's what you want, then fine, but if you feel a stronger attachment to material things than music and the pursuit thereof, turn back. I am slightly further down a similar path that you explained, and everyone in my course is fully aware that they'll have fun, low-paying jobs at best. My justification is that if I get a job in which I partake in music for a living, why would I need a holiday? (Although that may well come back and bight me in the arse in twenty years.)

Material items like a fancy shmancy car and a large house are useless to me. I live within a 3 mile radius of an elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. Sure, I'd love to have a gigantic mansion with a Lamborghini and 97 guitars, but that's not what I'm aiming for. I don't really care about going on holidays abroad. I haven't been out of Massachusetts or New Hampshire in all thirteen years of my life. I don't plan on having music being my only source of income, I'll do some other stuff as well. Music is my passion. There's no turning back now.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Think about a teacher. Let's say they make about $40,000 a year.

Everyone else with arts degrees already had that idea, that is why A) we don't need all the teachers we have and B) we have a lot of inneffectual teachers as it was nothing but a fall back.

I am sure your perspective is going to change a lot in the next oh, 5-8 years of your life. Your plan has more holes than swiss cheese but that is alright, because at least you are trying to plan at your age. You won't be the same person you are in 3 years, then again when you are an adult (implying on your own, not 18).

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Wow. There's a lot of hate for a future music major. I plan on doing the same thing. Teaching music, that is. Who cares how much it pays? If you have a wife and you both have jobs that pay decent so you can make a good living for yourselves, and you're able to do what you've dreamed of doing, do it! I'd be happy making minimum wage if I could do something I love. There's a huge difference making 8 bucks an hour working in a hot and sweaty fast food restaurant and making 8 bucks an hour doing something you've dreamed of doing since you were a little guy.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Not hate, just cautionary advice. There are music teachers lined up around the block for a chance at an interview, all in the same boat. Then they fill the 1 , maybe 2 positions at the school and for the next 25 years that teacher works there til they retire. It isn't exactly a big demand position. I suppose I am not a common individual, as I have polymathic tendancies and love everything I do.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Not very good, alright chops but a very immature sense of melody and phrasing.. Which I still have today, not much improvement.

I like a whole lot of just about everything, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but here's a video of me at 16.

EDIT: Also, fascinatingly bad bends and vibrato, in this video even more so than usual

Ginsu

Reaction score
I've only been playing 10 months, and I started quite literally ON my 18th birthday...I can play a lot of Periphery-type djent stuff, and professionals (I went to a music camp with professional musicians as teachers) have told me my tapping is "unreal" (I don't believe it, there wasn't one metal player in the bunch! XD) but I'm quite literally limited to just djenty stuff, and the only reason I'm any good at tapping is from 6 years of prior piano experience. :p

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
At 16, which was a year ago... I had been playing more or less 3 years, played a ton of metalcore, focused on string-skipping patterns a lot. Pretty stale year as far as learning things though.
Um, I could sweep decently, basic knowledge of scales and modes but nothing extensive, anddd I could tap whatever I liked.
Also ended up playing in a band where members couldn't show up and ended up quitting it after a few shows. :lol:

JoeOsoDopke

Oso Monster
Reaction score
I'm 16 right now, and right now I think that if you are looking for a good way to improve technique, yes a metronome helps, however... As Guthrie Govan put it best, it's best to be practicing along with jam tracks or with your friends. A metronome offers you a cold, ticking path to insanity if stayed on for too long (in my view at least) where as playing over a track makes you feel more into the music. It's important to remember to not just practice every scale and arpeggio you find without understanding what they are for. If you can't apply them to your own music, then what's the point?