Which ceramic 7-string BareKnuckle for metal?

• Thread starter JMP2203
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RationalEntropy

Reaction score
I am considering a pickup upgrade. The guitar is a Carvin DC727 with a walnut neck through a walnut body with a walnut top. My playing style has quite a bit of variation, but I mostly play in the realm of melodic death metal/progressive/Thrash, and attempt shred. I like the idea of having djent, clear, bright notes, heavy tones, but also a great clean tone. I am the only guitarist in my band, but am considering another guitarist. Either way we would be playing comparable amounts of rhythm and lead parts.

I've been considering the Lundgren M7, and various BKPs (namely the Nailbomb and the Coldsweat). What do you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I am considering a pickup upgrade. The guitar is a Carvin DC727 with a walnut neck through a walnut body with a walnut top. My playing style has quite a bit of variation, but I mostly play in the realm of melodic death metal/progressive/Thrash, and attempt shred. I like the idea of having djent, clear, bright notes, heavy tones, but also a great clean tone. I am the only guitarist in my band, but am considering another guitarist. Either way we would be playing comparable amounts of rhythm and lead parts.

I've been considering the Lundgren M7, and various BKPs (namely the Nailbomb and the Coldsweat). What do you recommend?

Sweet guitar there, walnut is amazing tonewood for metal. Anyways, based on what you're describing I would recommend the Cold Sweat or Painkiller in the bridge. They both do what you're looking for, the main difference is the PK is a touch hotter and has more midrange snarl whereas the Cold Sweat has a more balanced response with better cleans. They're both pretty djenty, clear, heavy, tight and organic. Note definition even under gobs of heavy distortion is just insane on these.

RationalEntropy

Reaction score
Quick reply. Thanks for the complement about the guitar, there will be pictures soon.

Interesting suggestion. Not quite what I expected, but awesome nonetheless. I've been told to regard your opinion highly, and that is why there will likely be more questions (oh no!).

AlNiCo 5, Ceramic or AlNiCo 8?

My main concern is will the BKP Painkiller or Coldsweat hang with the Lundgren in terms of heft? Even if it will not, versatility wins.

Thanks again.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Quick reply. Thanks for the complement about the guitar, there will be pictures soon.

Interesting suggestion. Not quite what I expected, but awesome nonetheless. I've been told to regard your opinion highly, and that is why there will likely be more questions (oh no!).

My main concern is will the BKP Painkiller or Coldsweat hang with the Lundgren in terms of heft? Even if it will not, versatility wins.

Thanks again.

Both the PK/CS are heavy as hell. The Painkiller is definitely the more brutal of the two but both are really aggressive sounding. I have nothing bad to say about Lundgren as I've never used them, but for what its worth customers who have owned both always are telling me they prefer the BKPs.

I was making a recommendation based on your guitar's makeup and the tone you're after. Both of the pickups I suggested are a super fit and have plenty of output. There are other models that would work in that guitar, but what you were describing screams PK or CS to me.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions/etc anytime, this is what I do! :)

RationalEntropy

Reaction score
I'm considering the PK Bridge/CS Neck combo. B/c My guitar will likely need MORE balls. (It will be here in roughly 21 days, the wait is driving me crazy!) I will play stuff influenced by (but not limited to) Vai to At The Gates, In Flames (Old), Soilwork, Meshuggah, Emperor, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Blind Guardian, Katatonia and Opeth.

So, should they be AlNiCo 5, Ceramic, or AlNiCo 8?

How much would the PK Bridge/CS Neck be as a calibrated set shipped to Huntsville, AL, US?

Thank you, yet again.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm considering the PK Bridge/CS Neck combo. B/c My guitar will likely need MORE balls. (It will be here in roughly 21 days, the wait is driving me crazy!) I will play stuff influenced by (but not limited to) Vai to At The Gates, In Flames (Old), Soilwork, Meshuggah, Emperor, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Blind Guardian, Katatonia and Opeth.

The PK/CS combo should be amazing for that stuff. I do have an exchange policy just in case however :)

RationalEntropy said:
So, should they be AlNiCo 5, Ceramic, or AlNiCo 8?

The PK7b would be ceramic, the CS7n alnico 5.

RationalEntropy said:
How much would the PK Bridge/CS Neck be as a calibrated set shipped to Huntsville, AL, US?

The term 'calibrated set' refers to a matched set of the same model (ie: Painkiller bridge+neck). They come in one box and you save a little money. Getting two separate models works great too, but they're not sold together.

If you go with the 7-string PK/CS combo, the price including shipping/insurance to Alabama would be $249.00. If you opt for the PK or CS set, the price would be $237.00

RationalEntropy said:
Thank you, yet again.

No problem dude :yesway: Feel free to give me an email, PM, or call as well.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
You don't really need a calibrated set, most models match up fine with each other. For example in one of my customs I have a ceramic Warpig bridge with a Miracle Man neck and it balances perfectly. The calibrated sets are more useful mainly because you get a discount and it ships in the same box.

A calibrated set w/ the matte black covers shipped & insured to New Zealand would be about $249. :)

Great price Zim. Do you have a website? Tim mailed back and said the best clean neck BKP will have too low an output for calibration with the bridge painkiller. He suggested nailbomb neck running parallel but I think I'd be better off dealing with the slight volume difference between the PK and CS as this guitar is solely for recording. Can you do me a similar deal on a Painkiller bridge, cold Sweat neck? Just got the new mmm1 today so I'm looking to "de-mud" her ASAP. Thanks again :hbang:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Great price Zim. Do you have a website? Tim mailed back and said the best clean neck BKP will have too low an output for calibration with the bridge painkiller. He suggested nailbomb neck running parallel but I think I'd be better off dealing with the slight volume difference between the PK and CS as this guitar is solely for recording. Can you do me a similar deal on a Painkiller bridge, cold Sweat neck? Just got the new mmm1 today so I'm looking to "de-mud" her ASAP. Thanks again :hbang:

Yeah man that's fine. And yeah I have a website, but it's not quite complete yet. Generally people just use PayPal when ordering from me. I'll send you a private message.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Djenty stuff and Progressive Metal. like Periphery and Animals as Leaders. and master Petrucci of course. I play mostly in drop A

I'd go with the ceramic Warpig set or the Aftermath set. Feel free to email/call if you'd like to get more in depth with it.

sell2792

Reaction score
I'm acquiring a Stealth Pro 7 and replacing my Peavey Classic 50 with a Bugera stack (set on a 6262). Currently I play my 6 string ESP/LTD in drop B. It has a mahogony neck and body, set neck, EMG 81+85 and Afterburner with FR Orig. The Stealth is almost the exact same except with a maple neck that is thru body.
EMGs just aren't cutting it for me, and this is why I'm looking at BKPs for both guitars. For playing low on a 6, and drop A on a 7 string, what are the best choice(s) for pickups? I was looking at the Painkiller and the Aftermath, but I hear great things about the others. Mainly I play metal, but I need something that offers good cleans aswell. I want something with tight punchy bass, crunch midrange, and enough high end to cut through in a band setting but not overly peircing or trebely. Individual note clarity is a must for chord work, leads, and solos.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm acquiring a Stealth Pro 7 and replacing my Peavey Classic 50 with a Bugera stack (set on a 6262). Currently I play my 6 string ESP/LTD in drop B. It has a mahogony neck and body, set neck, EMG 81+85 and Afterburner with FR Orig. The Stealth is almost the exact same except with a maple neck that is thru body.
EMGs just aren't cutting it for me, and this is why I'm looking at BKPs for both guitars. For playing low on a 6, and drop A on a 7 string, what are the best choice(s) for pickups? I was looking at the Painkiller and the Aftermath, but I hear great things about the others. Mainly I play metal, but I need something that offers good cleans aswell. I want something with tight punchy bass, crunch midrange, and enough high end to cut through in a band setting but not overly peircing or trebely. Individual note clarity is a must for chord work, leads, and solos.

Is that Stealth Pro 7 an alder body/maple neck? If so I'd steer clear of the Painkiller. I would go with the ceramic Warpig or Aftermath in that. They're really tight and clear, but darker/thicker so it would offset the woods.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Hey Zimbloth, you seem to know what your tallkin about, any chance of a bit of advice?

Basically i cant decide which pickup to get for my RG7321, the Painkiller, Aftermath or Nailbomb? And also what magnets would be best for their respective pickup? I play death metal but love my mids, never scoop, and tune pretty low, GCGCfad, so ill need it to be tight with tonnes of clarity! And also be able to handle the low end without goin all muddy on me!

Cheers for any advice ya might have! :)

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
My personal advice for that would be to get a painkiller, if we take it from the selection you've gotten. My own guitar is equipped with warpigs, and they sound absolutely brutal, so either pup is a good pup.
I asked Zimbloth the exact same question earlier, and he said Miracle man to me, based on the tightness and clarity. Haven't tried them yet, but they are defo going in my next guitar!

And from my experience; ceramics for bridges, AlNiCos for necks.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Cheers for that man, never even considered the Warpig or Miracle man, always assumed the Miracle Man was more of a Rock type pickup, wouldnt have thought it was suited to Death Metal.