Which one is the better deal? (Agile vs Schecter content)

• Thread starter RG7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RG7

Reaction score
Im ready to buy an 8 string lefty now and I've been narrowed down to two choices.... well the only two choices I have.

Considering nothing left handed is appearing on the site ever since the pre orders were put up I think I have a choice of either an intrepid pro 828 or a schecter c-8.

fact is, it cost 800 with shipping and customs to get the intrepid.
as for the schecter, it cost 930 shipped and customs to get it to my house.

which one is the better deal? considering the schecter is loaded with more to offer apposed to the blank palette of the intrepid.

what are the pro's and con's to both aside from the agile having a longer scale?
:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i dont know if it's just me but i always felt like the agile wasn't good enough...i have no idea what it was about it...but i had two intrepid pros (single emg) and just the overall quality of the instrument didn't impress me. both of them had finish flaws and seemed to have poor tuning stability i dunno if maybe sperzels would have remedied it but i did play my friend's (TMM on here) schecter devil 8 and i can say i would have been much happier with that had i owned it because it just looked and felt like a higher quality instrument. to the agile's credit though it did feel comfy for such a large scale and sounded pretty good...i liked my 2228 the best so for in the way of 8's i've played (well TMM's oni is worlds better but those are like 4000usd now and you'll be waiting like 2 years for it so...haha) this is all opinion though there are a lot of die hard agilers on here so take it at face value haha.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ funny while I haven't owned one of the Schecter 8s I've had the exact opposite impression... I've owned several Schecters and lots of Agiles and the Schecters always just felt cheap to me while the Intrepid I had was awesome :shrug: :2c:

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Agile all the way. I've owned an intrepid and it was fantastic. Plus I really enjoyed the larger scale.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I sold my Schecter for an Agile and have not one regret. While you say it has a blank palette, the Schecters werent really loaded with anything special. Sure locking tuners are cool, but ive had no tuning issues at all with the standard tuners. Plus the Agile feels/looks like less of a toy to me for lack of better words. It just feels more simple....but classy...straitforward I guess. Plus I feel that it plays alot better with the extra scale and the neck feels easier to play.

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Hello fellow lefty!

Having both, I'd recommend the Agile. Love Schecter guitars, and own two seven strings. That being said, the Schecters being 8 strings at 26.5 inches scale length may have you running into some issues with tension. I have the 007 blackjack at a low G and its really pushing it. A low F# or even F might be a problem.

The Agiles are excellent quality and I was so impressed with the first custom that I decided to put the deposit for the May productions.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I just got my Intrepid Standard 828 delivered to my front door (thanks, peavey_impact :)), and all I can say is "Wow." I'll need some time to demo it, but I can say this: the 28.625" scale feels nice in my rather large hands, and the fret access is way better than any Schecter I've ever played. For reference, I own a C-1 FR, C-7, and I just sold my Loomis FR.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I just got my Intrepid Standard 828 delivered to my front door (thanks, peavey_impact :)), and all I can say is "Wow." I'll need some time to demo it, but I can say this: the 28.625" scale feels nice in my rather large hands, and the fret access is way better than any Schecter I've ever played. For reference, I own a C-1 FR, C-7, and I just sold my Loomis FR.
I used to be a huge Schecter fan but my Intrepid made me an Agile fanboy LOL

I_infect

Reaction score
Aside from shorter scale, does the schecter have any notable disadvantages?

Depends on what model. The Hellraiser 8 has a nice smooth heel, the Damien 8 (which I almost like more than the Hellraiser) has a bulky heel and neckplate with shitty upperfret access; hitting the 22nd is difficult, hitting the 24th is near impossible on it. Only other drawback I've noticed is I have to use the recommended gauges.

With that said, I've owned 2 Agiles and sold them. I'm totally satisfied with the Damien 8.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Depends on what model. The Hellraiser 8 has a nice smooth heel, the Damien 8 (which I almost like more than the Hellraiser) has a bulky heel and neckplate with shitty upperfret access; hitting the 22nd is difficult, hitting the 24th is near impossible on it. Only other drawback I've noticed is I have to use the recommended gauges.

With that said, I've owned 2 Agiles and sold them. I'm totally satisfied with the Damien 8.

How do you like them in comparison to your 2228?

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i say get the agile. i havent like schecter since i first tried one around 89 or 90.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Having owned a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, a Schecter Omen 7, and an Agile 828 Intrepid, I can say that, for the money, the Agile was the best bargain of the three for the money.

Putting the Omen aside, I'll rate the Agile and the Hellraiser together as they're similar in price and quality.

Schecter Hellraiser - $650 USD (Floor model)

Pros
Nice finish

Cons
Short scale couldn't be intone properly to A standard
EMGs (They worked fine, just didn't like their tone.)
Mahogany body always sound flat to me
Body is too sharp. Made playing uncomfortable
Buzzing frets
Didn't stay in tune all that well

Agile 828 Intrepid - $659 USD (New)

Pros
Great paint job (Ghostburst)
No buzzing frets
Stock pups are good
Smooth neck
Better ergonomics
Stays in tune very well
Longer scale helps with lower tunings

Cons
Came with two frets sticking approximately 3mm off fretboard (Although the problem was fixed by Rondo at no charge. Turnaround time was a very impressive 72 hrs.)
Bridge pup could have been placed a little better

Considering that I paid just about the same for both guitars, I'd have to say that I prefer the Agile over the Schecter. Cosmetically, the Schecter had the edge, but the Agile had the Schecter beat in just about every other meaningful criteria.

Also, Rondo has a nice lefty 828 Intrepid in Ghostburst up sale atm!

freepower

Reaction score
I love my Schecter 007 Elite, haven't liked the newer Schecters I've played, and can't imagine that the 8s are any better. The Agile 8 I have is fantastic and tbh reminds me of the best of the Schecter - with an Ibanez-y neck and better fret access. :lol:

I do however, dislike the Agile Cepheus pickups, but everyone else seems to think they're pretty good.

So, even if they were the same price, tbh - Agile. :)

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
The thing about the Cepheus is that it's decent enough to where it's not a hinderance. It's not amazing or anything, but it's pretty good and definitely way better than I expected... considering lots of people are used to all the shit pickups that come on Ibanez guitars, it was nice to see. Also it makes upgrading the pups sweeter than going with 808's because you have a ton more options without making the guitar look weird with pickup rings (not a fan).

Anyways, I originally planned on switching mine out as soon as I got the guitar, but that wasn't the case... they're still in there for the time being and I still plan on changing them out but I'm in no rush. I'm thinking a) BKP Warpig b) Seymour Duncan Fullshred.

freepower

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, you can get a good idea of the guitar, but in my case at least there's a definite PU swap in the future, no question. :p

I_infect

Reaction score
How do you like them in comparison to your 2228?
the Agile or the Damien?

the Agiles weren't bad... I had the 28+" scale w/ maple boards. Really the only reason I sold them was the scale was a bit much for me, not length wise, but harshly trebley on the higher strings. The maple boards just added to it with my setup(6505). It was pretty brittle. I still have my 27" rosewood 827 septor. Some sharp fret ends, that's it on mine. I think the QC is better on Agile 8's than 7s, at least in my experience.

The 2228 is spot on. I play any other 8 string, and it is what others aspire to IMO. Perfect blend of scale, tone, function, and the incredible attention to detail. I run a 9-72 setup on it in standard tuning. But, it's $2000 now.
I bought an RGA8 last week or so and it went back the same day. Don't waste your time on it... the pickups sound like a wet fart.

The Damien has a meaty neck, and slightly shorter scale. Tension is perfect with factory gauge strings. FB feels wider than the 2228. tonewise it's great, I like it more than my old hellraiser 8, maybe cause of the bolt on. Only thing I'd change on it is the heel/boltplate setup. Totally different beast than the 2228.

I wanted something cheap with EMGs to bang on instead of beating up on the 2228, and for $600 the Damien is fine for me. I'm a Schecter fanboy though, so YMMV.

RG7

Reaction score
This thread was made a while ago guys but thanks for all the input!

also, this

Agile Intrepid 828 MF MN Ocean Burst Left Handed at RondoMusic.com

only 500 bucks and it looks pretty darn good.

but this

Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Tribal Purple Left Handed at RondoMusic.com

:O

I dont need a floyd though, I hate those things.

I also would prefer the dual pickup, Agile Intrepid Dual 828 MN Ghostburst Left Handed at RondoMusic.com

but I dont think I want to pay 150 dollars more just for that considering I can get the flamed maple oceanburst for 500 and switch out to a blackout of BKP.

I_infect

Reaction score
I'd go for the dual, just so you have options if you find it too brittle on the bridge for leads.

plus that ghostburst is crazy.