Which plectrum?

morbideddie

Reaction score
ive been playing a few years now and have recently started to doubt my plectrum of choice
i like thick (2mm stubby) for fast alternate picking and thin picks for sweeping. ive been looking at jazz III picks and heard lots of good things on them and the v picks. i was also looking at the dava multi gauge pick which may solve my problem.
any experience with any of these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mavigh

Reaction score
Jazz III XL series are awesome, I can't get a good enough hold on the regular Jazz III's but would definitely recommend the XL's!

Really solid picks :)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Jazz III XL is great for getting into the Jazz III type picks. i've moved on from those to the actual jazz III picks now though. i'm using the Ultex ones, and will be progressing to the carbon fibre ones. yum!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I use Dunlop Jazz III's of various materials as well as the Planet Waves "Black Ice" picks. The Black Ice in 1.5 is nice for alt picking and sweeps for my purposes, plus it gets rid of the standard Nylon Jazz III's "quack", if you will. The Ultex and Tortex versions of the Dunlop Jazz III are also nice, but the Ultex is a little less dynamic IMO because it hits so solid [which is good or bad depending on your uses]. Tortex on the other hand is more dynamic. The nylon/graphite infused black "stiffo" Jazz III is nicer than the red one, because it doesn't have quite as much quack, and it's a little better for soloing, but it's not #1.

Also, you can go here for more ideas; it's an 8 page thread on what SS.org players use for picks. Here's a review of a bunch of "Jazz III" esque picks, including the Dava's and I believe all of the Jazz III types that Dunlop makes, minus the XL equivalents. Enjoy and bring some eye drops.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Dunlop 3mm Big Stubby's are so much god, that when I tried to go back to the conventional celluloid pick that I played like absolute trash. Seriously, try one out. :agreed:

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Jazz III XL series are awesome, I can't get a good enough hold on the regular Jazz III's but would definitely recommend the XL's!

Absolutely, I love those picks!
I once walked into my local guitar shop and bought all the Jazz III XL's they had in stock, the clerks were like "WTF?" for some reason :lol:

The regular Jazz III's are a bit too small IMO

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Jazz III Ultex or black or red :yesway:, haven't tried this XL one but it sounds interesting.

morbideddie

Reaction score
im gonna try a jazz me thinks. and experiment abit more. im using a dunlop 2mm stubby atm and like the feel so may try a few more guages

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score

Yep, I don't like the normal Jazz IIIs but the XLs are my pick of choice now

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
I've been using the Ultex Jazz III picks for a while and have been really happy with them but I recently started using the JazzTone 204s which I have been preferring as of late. They are of similar size to the Jazz III but thicker and have a rounder tip. I think they deliver a sharper attack and allow string skipping a bit better.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
For me, nothing compares to the Dava Control Grip Tips (both regular & jazz versions). I like the tone of the Ultex Jazz IIIs as well, but the Davas never slip, and they're perfect for everything (alternate picking, sweeps, pick tapping, etc).

7StringedBeast

Random Fingers
Reaction score
Tortex sharps .88mm ftw.

I went from the 0.88 to the 1.5mm....can't go back now!

Once I started using sharp picks (couple years ago) I noticed an outstanding increase in my performance...I play faster, more accurately and Tortex just feels right in my hand. Awesome pick to shred and play fast rhythms, very precise and controlled pick, it has a very sharp end and a big grip (perfect combination IMO).

groph

Reaction score
Once I started using Jazz III's, I can't really use anything else. I just got so used to being able to barely feel the pick in my fingers, "normal" sized picks feel huge and cumbersome to me now.

I'd like to try out the Ultex Jazz III's.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I use a 2.0mm Big Stubby for more fluid lead stuff, but for speed and accuracy in leads or rhythms I now use Ultex Sharps. Right now I have a 1.0mm that I got in a pack of strings(dont recall which...Dunlops I suppose?) and have been using the same one for months now. I havent looked at any shops or the site to see what gauges they are available in but they replaced my Ultex Standard 1.14mm. I went between a Ultex Standard 1.15mm, Tortex Jazz III Pitch Black 1.14m, and finally the Ultex Sharp 1.0mm which I am sticking with. The material is more articulate, rigid, and with a full size pick I have more control. I choke up on the pick, but the extra mass allows me to stabalize the pick when I dig in for some serious tremelo picking. I think this is the pick Mr. Loomis preferes nowadays as well if that means anything.

unitas

Reaction score
I've been working on my speed picking and I heard a lot of good things about the jazz 3 stiffo's so I picked up a pack and they didn't disappoint. I was previously using the 1.14mm tortex picks, and then the 2mm stubby's, and then these. The small size makes me hold the pick closer to the tip and I find the smooth material goes over the string faster. But because there's so little pick sticking out, sweeping is a bit more difficult but not impossible. It didn't turn me into Yngwie but I was able to alternate faster more evenly. Count me on the jazz 3 bandwagon.

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
I use the red Jazz III's (Yes, there is a difference the red ones are smoother and don't wear [at least as nearly as readily]) and I adore them.