Which two speakers for a Custom 2x12 Cab?

• Thread starter Salvation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Salvation

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I ordered an Earcandy Cabinet about 2 months ago, and it should be arriving in about one month's time. Anyways, I still have a last minute option of changing some of the features on the cab, and I was wondering if I had made the right decision regarding my speakers.

My initial choice was having the cab loaded with a GreenMachine speaker, and an Eminence Wizard. However, I am not sure that the Wizard is the best choice to be utilized in conjunction with the GreenMachine for what I am doing.

I am looking to play any and every genre, with a little emphasis on a more heavy form of jazz fusion. With a Nailbomb/TS loaded Horus HGS through a Rivera Ktre, I want a slick, smooth, buttery, fluid lead tone, with the highs slightly (very slightly!) rolled off for added warmth, and a rich, thick, swirling, fat/chunky/full, round, round tone for rhythm.

Now I understand that this may be way too much information to choose something as simple as a driver, but I figure that they have a lot of influence on tone considering they are what all of your equipment is coming out of.

Finally, I understand that an OD may be required for the acheivement of what I want, so what would you guys recommend be a good OD for my lead and/or rhythm tone? Maybe an MXR GT-OD?

Also, I would prefer some sort of Eminence speaker to replace the Wizard, but I am open to really any other brand as well.

Thanks in Advance! And Sorry for the Wall of Text!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smith10210

Reaction score
I had swampthings in mine stay away from them. Way to much bass i had to practically turn my bass down to nothing on my Engl. To dark also i had to crank my mids and it was still scooped to my ears.. I had a hard time deciding what speakers to go with even after the fact i had my cab. I wanted to get rid of th ST's but he has to many options speaker wise and i just couldn't do it and sold the cab. Its built very well but between the wait the cosmetics i had and speaker choice i was glad to get rid of it... I would probaly go for a v30 or a v30/75 combo or governor/mano..

Salvation

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.
The 75 seems like a viable option but I honestly really dislike V30s....

Just out of curiosity, what cosmetic did you choose? I chose Diablo, and hopefully it is very dark, cause I don't like even moderately bright reds.

smith10210

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.
The 75 seems like a viable option but I honestly really dislike V30s....

Just out of curiosity, what cosmetic did you choose? I chose Diablo, and hopefully it is very dark, cause I don't like even moderately bright reds.

The treadplate but he had it on ebay it was supposedly ready to go so i bought it because i didn't want to wait months but it took 3 weeks to get after a bunch of emails i was kind of pissed i would have chosen a different look.

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
I have a pair of Swamp Thangs, and they sounded great to my ears, but I loved that dark, earthy quality they had (I also run an EQ so it helps bring out the high end definition).
I'm still not sure what would be a good second speaker to try with them though, I've heard good things about the swamp thang/tonker combination but I've never tried it myself.

jllozano

Reaction score
i have 2 buzzbomb cabs, one with swamp thangs the other with green machines..... i really LOVE the swamp thangs but i have weird taste, and yes..there are VERY dark sounding in the ported cab.... the green machines are pretty cool and could work for what you want...maybe one swamp thang and 1 wizard would sound cool....at the moment i want to get 2 of those celestions g12k-100 to see how they sound on the buzzbomb but i would not know if i would swap them for the green machines or the swamp thangs.....the cab i guess makes most speakers sound pretty full....:hbang:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of Swamp Thangs, and they sounded great to my ears, but I loved that dark, earthy quality they had (I also run an EQ so it helps bring out the high end definition).
I'm still not sure what would be a good second speaker to try with them though, I've heard good things about the swamp thang/tonker combination but I've never tried it myself.

No point in the Tnker/Swampy mix, IMO. I had that in my Avatar 2-12, and you couldn't hear the Tonker at all, it gets completely buried by the ST. That cab has 2 STs now, and I couldn't be happier, but I have one of the brightest amps out there. :lol:

Salvation

Reaction score
When you guys say dark do you mean the opposite of bright? Cause if you are
then I should probably tell you that when I say warm, I mean dark.

Man I dislike that word though, it kinda puts a negative connotation on the tone...

jllozano

Reaction score
swamp thangs sound awesome......period..... if you want to be on the safe side get one swamp t. and a wizard or some other "bright" speaker.... they are cheap anyways