Who makes a 7 string that doesn't feel like a 7 string?

• Thread starter thehornedone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thehornedone

Reaction score
My problem with 7 strings I've owned is they're bigger and heavier than 6 string guitars, obviously.

I once played an Ernie Ball Jason Richardson signature at guitar center and it felt amazing - lightweight, small neck. I felt like playing stuff in standard tuning, I could just ignore the B string and it felt like a 6 string guitar in my hands. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the burl top and the price on that guitar.

Another guitar I'm considering trying is a 7 string Strandberg.

You guys have any other ideas for brands I should look into?

Ibanez and Jackson have already been disqualified.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you just don't like 7-strings. 7-strings don't play or feel like 6-strings, no matter how thin the neck is :shrug:

Only narrow nut 7s I'm aware of are older ESPs (not E-IIs) with a 45mm nut. Good luck finding one, though (and that will only be noticeable at lower frets anyway).

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Maybe Schecter Km7s. Only the MkII and III though.

Avoid PRS altogether.

Which Jacksons have you tried that you’re not willing to have them mentioned? Same with Ibanez? I’ve never had issue with their 7 strings feeling too chunky really.

Legator 2020 and newer could also fit the bill. And maybe some of the Sterling JPs since you don’t like the burl on the JR you definitely won’t like the really cheap burl on the lower end ones :lol:

Maybe you just don’t have enough experience with 7s to really be comfortable on them. Most of us on here have been playing them for years, so it’s natural regardless of the discrepancies between brands. We’re accustomed to the extra string.

thehornedone

Reaction score
Maybe Schecter Km7s. Only the MkII and III though.

Avoid PRS altogether.

Which Jacksons have you tried that you’re not willing to have them mentioned? Same with Ibanez? I’ve never had issue with their 7 strings feeling too chunky really.

Legator 2020 and newer could also fit the bill. And maybe some of the Sterling JPs since you don’t like the burl on the JR you definitely won’t like the really cheap burl on the lower end ones :lol:

Maybe you just don’t have enough experience with 7s to really be comfortable on them. Most of us on here have been playing them for years, so it’s natural regardless of the discrepancies between brands. We’re accustomed to the extra string.

Thanks. I'll check out the Schecters and Legator. I've been looking at options across the EBMM line, and nothing really strikes me aesthetically. I like the features, the controls layout, the playability...but they just look dull to me.

I've tried a ton of Ibanez. I'd actually love an old 7621 as long as it's on the lighter side. They feel good, I just don't like how wide the neck is and how heavy they are sometimes. Something about that Jason Richardson's neck just felt even better. Narrower, maybe?

Jackson...I've only tried cheap models off the wall at GC

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check out the Schecters and Legator. I've been looking at options across the EBMM line, and nothing really strikes me aesthetically. I like the features, the controls layout, the playability...but they just look dull to me.

I've tried a ton of Ibanez. I'd actually love an old 7621 as long as it's on the lighter side. They feel good, I just don't like how wide the neck is and how heavy they are sometimes. Something about that Jason Richardson's neck just felt even better. Narrower, maybe?

Jackson...I've only tried cheap models off the wall at GC
So your budget is EBMM range? I’d suggest giving Misha’s signature Jacksons a try then. The neck is super thin and comfortable. You can still still find reasonable deals on the US models secondhand if you look. There’s a silver burst on GC’s used page for ~$2.5k right now I think.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
The title of this thread alone is enough of a reason for the rest of us to avoid this thread.

I legitimately thought that this was a shitpost. :shrug:

The OP needs to realize that the issue is him (the player) and not the gear.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I don't think it's that weird of a question? Dude wants to play 7 string songs, some literally cannot be played on a 6 string. It sounds like he's looking for narrower string spaced necks, which I unfortunately don't know of any, but I don't find it that outlandish to ask if any exist?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's that weird of a question? Dude wants to play 7 string songs, some literally cannot be played on a 6 string. It sounds like he's looking for narrower string spaced necks, which I unfortunately don't know of any, but I don't find it that outlandish to ask if any exist?

That's because the post makes no sense at all. He wants a 7 string, but that actually feels like a 6-string (which is not possible). Then praises a EBMM guitar with a standard 48mm nut width while entirely disregarding two brands with some of the thinnest necks (Ibanez and Jackson).

He goes on with how heavy RG7421s can be (really? These are basswood bolt ons, quite light). Nothing here makes sense besides he only liked the most expensive guitar he tried, which he doesn't want to buy.

At this point my only suggestion would be to snag a used KxK, which had ridiculously thin necks.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Not to point out the elephant in the room……but, why dont you just get a baritone 6 string? You can down tune to play virtually most of what you would with a 7 string. This will also avoid the wider neck, it would just extend the scale length. Other than that, a 7 string in my opinion will ALWAYS feel like a different instrument, because it is. My 2 cents.🤘🏻

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I kinda get where he's coming from. I got away from 7's. Traded my 8 for a mexi strat and put EMG's in it. Other guitar is an Affinity Jazzmaster with p90's. The neck I got used to playing for the last few years is a 9.5 radius strat. I've been in a band doing hot rodded Vietnam helicopter rock in drop C/D standard lol. The other 12". So when i started picking up my EC257 again was like wow, this is wide and flat. I was looking to pick up a JS32-7, the white one with the compound radius 12-16 board. But I just picked up a JS22-7 maple neck model for cheap and it's pretty comfortable and lighter than my Alder jazzmaster. Finally another 24 fret in the fold. All my Fender stuff is 21 and the EC is 22. Look into the Jacksons with compound radius or a multiscale. There's gonna be a difference, just get used to it.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Sounds like an excuse to get another 6 string and tune it to B standard.
I don't get along well with 7 strings myself, so I have standard tuned guitars and B standard tuned guitars).

I'm not sure this really helps, but its what I have done.

ikarus

Reaction score
The Ibanez RGD 2127 felt pretty much like a 6 string to me. Avoid Aristides and Mayones Regius if you don't want a big guitar.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Yeah OP, I say fuck it, time to get another 6er and bring your playing to Car Bomb levels of pitch manipulation