Who wants 5150/Recto cab Impulses?

• Thread starter JakeAC5253
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JakeAC5253

yay square waves
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with making cabinet impulses and I like the way this came out so I am going to give this away. Included are 5 different impulse files to open in your favorite impulse loader. Chain is 5150 power amp with Winged =C= power tubes, Boogie Recto cab with standard Mesa V30's, and a single Shure SM57.

Here is a clip where both guitar and bass are processed using my impulses:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Lasse:Mago Impulse Test 2.mp3

Alpha - A standard tight and clear modern high gain type impulse
Beta - Tight, but darker, for bright guitars or sims
Gamma - Great for crunch tones or for adding 'vintage' vibe
Delta - Like Alpha, but extended bass response
Epsilon - Combination Beta and Delta, big bass response and dark top

And here are the files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/5150:Recto Cab Impulses.zip

Here are 48k Axe-FX friendly responses:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/5150:Recto Cab Impulses 48k.zip

Let me know how you like my impulses, post clips of your own results if you like, and more importantly have fun :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
These sound pretty good man! Very nice and clear. Maybe a bit less bass than I'm used to with my impulses but that's probably better for the mix anyway. Might throw some clips up later with my Revalver settings ;)

Thanks!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'll check these out later. I need some new impulses since I just lost ALL of my stuff since I had to re-install Windows. :lol:

JakeAC5253

yay square waves
Reaction score
These sound pretty good man! Very nice and clear. Maybe a bit less bass than I'm used to with my impulses but that's probably better for the mix anyway. Might throw some clips up later with my Revalver settings ;)

Thanks!

I would enjoy that, thanks!

I'll check these out later. I need some new impulses since I just lost ALL of my stuff since I had to re-install Windows. :lol:

Let me know how it goes.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'll try to, but I'm having trouble installing my soundcard, so It looks like I won't be able to try it. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, just fixed it. I can probably just upload a few tracks. :D

EDIT2: Made one 8-second chuggy track and used each impulse on it. They sound quite different then the way you describe them, IMO. Must be with my dialing. :lol:

Signal path: ESP EC-50 w/ Emg 85 > Bad Monkey OD > Ibanez TBX150H > FX Send to sound card > Reaper w/ LeCab 2

Alpha
Beta
Delta
Epsilon
gamma

And I must say, I really like these. I'm gonna keep them. :D

JakeAC5253

yay square waves
Reaction score
I'll try to, but I'm having trouble installing my soundcard, so It looks like I won't be able to try it. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, just fixed it. I can probably just upload a few tracks. :D

EDIT2: Made one 8-second chuggy track and used each impulse on it. They sound quite different then the way you describe them, IMO. Must be with my dialing. :lol:

Signal path: ESP EC-50 w/ Emg 85 > Bad Monkey OD > Ibanez TBX150H > FX Send to sound card > Reaper w/ LeCab 2

Alpha
Beta
Delta
Epsilon
gamma

And I must say, I really like these. I'm gonna keep them. :D

Thanks for the clips. Are you using a stereo loader? At first listen, Alpha sounds full and the rest all have some stereo effect going on.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I THINK thats what LeCab2 does. I used 1 track, but with 2 of each IR panned left and right with each one. It's my first time using LeCab2, so maybe I need to keep missing with it. I'm still relatively new with IR's. :lol:

I can barely notice anything right now though, since I'm using some very crappy speakers. :(

EDIT: I wanna mention, I was making those tones with a crappy computer speaker. Now that I'm using really good speakers, they sound WAY too harsh and bassy. Totally my fault sice it was hard to dial in with my shitty speaker. I need to work on them again. :lol:

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Holyshit. That tone in the first links clip is almost exactly what I am going for, tonewise with my new band :scream:

JakeAC5253

yay square waves
Reaction score
Just a quick test of a riff from a friend's band that I love to play, one guitar per side, excuse my slop playing lol.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7675826/beta_6505+drop D_treb4pres6.mp3

used Revalver, 6505+ boosted with their greener, Beta impulse. Drop D, stock basswood Ibby iceman, old stringies.

Sounds pretty cool dude, thanks for posting a clip! The tone of that actually reminds me a little of Metallica.

Holyshit. That tone in the first links clip is almost exactly what I am going for, tonewise with my new band :scream:

Not to plug myself, but I DO offer professional reamping if you guys are going to cut an album :D

/plug

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a go w/ my gsp1101 as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for sharing sir, new IRs are always fun. :agreed:

Chrono

Reaction score
These are great! I stuck the alpha impulse in stereo with a 4x12 cali on my axe. Running the diezel sim and a tubescreamer in front. This got rid of a lot of fuzz and woof in my tone. Dare I say the best distorted tone i've gotten.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool dude, thanks for posting a clip! The tone of that actually reminds me a little of Metallica.

Not to plug myself, but I DO offer professional reamping if you guys are going to cut an album :D

/plug

Well you said that you were using a 6505+ poweramp right? Does that mean that you were using an axefx as a preamp? Because im ordering my axe II on friday so im super pumped if i can nail that on the axe :D

JakeAC5253

yay square waves
Reaction score
These are great! I stuck the alpha impulse in stereo with a 4x12 cali on my axe. Running the diezel sim and a tubescreamer in front. This got rid of a lot of fuzz and woof in my tone. Dare I say the best distorted tone i've gotten.

Thank you for the feedback! This sounds great. What do you mean the 4x12 Cali? Is that an Axe-FX emulation of a real piece of gear?

Well you said that you were using a 6505+ poweramp right? Does that mean that you were using an axefx as a preamp? Because im ordering my axe II on friday so im super pumped if i can nail that on the axe :D

Nahh, I don't own an Axe-FX, and not really a 6505+, the 5150 is very different sound wise from a 6505+. The impulses were made with my 5150 poweramp and Boogie OS cab and an SM57, and the clip above is from a DI which was distorted with my 5150's preamp section and then fed into the impulse. It's basically a mocked up representation of my normal high gain guitar rig setup which I use in mixes, though some juice and warmth does admittedly get lost in the transition from real life to impulse response... but it's free...

Tyler

Reaction score

How do you run impulses on the axe?

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback! This sounds great. What do you mean the 4x12 Cali? Is that an Axe-FX emulation of a real piece of gear?

Nahh, I don't own an Axe-FX, and not really a 6505+, the 5150 is very different sound wise from a 6505+. The impulses were made with my 5150 poweramp and Boogie OS cab and an SM57, and the clip above is from a DI which was distorted with my 5150's preamp section and then fed into the impulse. It's basically a mocked up representation of my normal high gain guitar rig setup which I use in mixes, though some juice and warmth does admittedly get lost in the transition from real life to impulse response... but it's free...

So if you used your 5150 poweramp for the impulses, then in the clips, whats the preamp?