Why are so many guitarists going to fishman?

• Thread starter SatanicToaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score

patdavidmusic

Reaction score
Think I saw that one already. No better than any other actives IMO. Didn't they also use actives back in the Oncoming Storm days?

That did sound better. Still, the Devin set is not really meant for single coil tones and regular passive single coils sound so much better for that.

Swings and round abouts really, it's all personal preference really
with that devin demo to me it's one of the best spilt sound i've heard,

As you said definitely not as good as a normal strat but for a split it's wicked, the devin set has poles and a dedicated voice change just for single coil tones

-edit- like the tosin set that has poles on the neck inside coil

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
Think I saw that one already. No better than any other actives IMO. Didn't they also use actives back in the Oncoming Storm days?

That did sound better. Still, the Devin set is not really meant for single coil tones and regular passive single coils sound so much better for that.

YouTube videos on musical equipment are great to watch, but really you can't substitute them for some actual experience with a piece of equipment.

While the modern set sounds almost idential to the EMG 81 & 85 set in tone, it does offer much better note separation, broader frequency response, two voicings, coil split, being almost completely noiseless even under very high gain, much improved dynamics and a nice fluid feel when playing. Maybe it's because I'm a sound engineer, but these things totally matter to me. Just the aspect of having noiseless pickups under high gain by itself is already an amazing improvement imo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Interesting - I've always thought EMGs (at least the 707s I've spent extensive time with) sound and feel like heavily compressed singlecoils.

Kind of. They buffer each coil, and sum them together, which is closest to parallel, but with more top end.

If you have any guitars with a JB and a Boss SD-1, you can get pretty close to the EMG vibe by running in parallel and into overdrive.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
YouTube videos on musical equipment are great to watch, but really you can't substitute them for some actual experience with a piece of equipment.

I disagree. Since it's hard to get your hands on gear I purchase based on youtube and it has worked out perfectly so far. I really want to like Fishmans but I need to much more convincing. Sure you get some extra feel trying IRL and how they respond to your touch but the sound needs to be there first. My gear and sound taste is pretty "mainstream" where we pretty much agree on tone, what's bad and what's good. I have to believe Fishman is paying artists handsomely to IMO compromise. I might change my mind once I get to try these products but I highly doubt it right now.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw Plini in Paris friday night, he had Fluences on his Strandberg.

It might have just been a new strandberg. They started using Fishmans in most of their 2017 lineup as the stock pickup.

Richter

Reaction score
It might have just been a new strandberg. They started using Fishmans in most of their 2017 lineup as the stock pickup.
No man, he had his signature model with moon inlay. I think they were the classics, they had pots on one side

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
i've been a long die hard EMG user. I bought my first fishman set for my new ibanez. I hope they don't dissapoint.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Very interested in the Devy set, since it's supposed to combine the 81/60 sound with a lower-output PAF sound as well.

Although I'm still happy with my 81/60 set for the br00tz, and have a Het Set on the way to try out.

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
[Youtubevid]AkTJaEbo4hQ[/Youtubevid]

People are starting to put out some good comparisons. Man, these Devy pickups sound incredible! The Moderns sound quite scratchy and compressed in comparison.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
No man, he had his signature model with moon inlay. I think they were the classics, they had pots on one side

Saw that too... it was his "old" signature... you know it because the old one has vol + tone. The new one has volume only.

So it's a replacement of Seymour Duncan pickups on that one... Was surprised too not to see him play the new model.

Bay the way, he had a GREAT sound, going direct in the Amplifire pedal preamp... :eek:

BouhZik

Reaction score
Ok I like the concept, I think it sounds good and all..... but it looks like its the new hyped stuff with the price tag that comes with it. 400 euros for the Devin set? I'll wait for the hype to fade a little bit because at that price I want those pickups to do the dishes and clean the house....

domsch1988

Reaction score
Ok I like the concept, I think it sounds good and all..... but it looks like its the new hyped stuff with the price tag that comes with it. 400 euros for the Devin set? I'll wait for the hype to fade a little bit because at that price I want those pickups to do the dishes and clean the house....

Exactly :yesway: I looked at the fluences countless times, and they sound great. But, for me, they do not sound 200% as good as any choice of SD Pickups. If a used set can be had for a decent price, i will give them a try :agreed:

dshea19

Reaction score
Saw that too... it was his "old" signature... you know it because the old one has vol + tone. The new one has volume only.

So it's a replacement of Seymour Duncan pickups on that one... Was surprised too not to see him play the new model.

Bay the way, he had a GREAT sound, going direct in the Amplifire pedal preamp... :eek:

I noticed in a couple of instagram pics that he wasn't using the Suhrs that are supposed to be in his sig line. The new Boden6 Prog is basically his sig, but with a tone knob and regular fretboard dots. If he is moving to Fluence pickups, it is a new thing that has not made its way to his sig yet.

juka

Reaction score
[Youtubevid]AkTJaEbo4hQ[/Youtubevid]

People are starting to put out some good comparisons. Man, these Devy pickups sound incredible! The Moderns sound quite scratchy and compressed in comparison.

Yes, a really good comparison that exactly reflects my experience with both sets.
This may be extremely unusual for the mindset people usually have towards active pickups, but the way those 2 sets sound heavily depends on the guitar you put them in.
As the DT have less treble and more output they are ideal for a guitars with lots of treble, where the Moderns tend to sound overly harsh and "sterile" (although as a longtime EMG user I hate this expression) and are IMHO more fitting in a guitar that has a lot of mids.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
The fishman seem interesting. I absolutely love the 57/66 set I have in my E-II horizon III, but I wish they could be coil split. Which set is maybe closest to the 57/66 "hot paf" sound with the ability to also split?

juka

Reaction score
The fishman seem interesting. I absolutely love the 57/66 set I have in my E-II horizon III, but I wish they could be coil split. Which set is maybe closest to the 57/66 "hot paf" sound with the ability to also split?
In my experience so far: NONE. That's why I went back to 57/66 in one of my guitars.