Why are there no 7-string guitars with a pickguard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wucan

Reaction score
I had this bad boy, but it was back-routed.

wes-hauch-750x400.jpg

Anyways, a big driver behind having pickguards is so you can standardize loaded setups - ubiquitous among most Fender models and their offspring. Want to upgrade your Squier strat with Fender Custom Shop electronics? Just buy a loaded pickguard and drop it in. But the body shape and hardware placement has to be the same for that to work. There's no standardization among extended range body shapes or electronic setup - as well as these being the sorts of guitars that innovate often - so the value of having pickguards at all drop a lot.

That's not the whole story as quite a few OEMs still make guitars with pickguards but backroute the electronics. But most sevens are either super strats or are spec'd as such, which traditionally don't include pickguards. Might be due to aesthetics, with super strats often having tops or metallic finishes that are meant to be shown off. And since super strats aren't particularly standardized either, it's a pain to replace worn pickguards.

arie

Reaction score
like the ibanez universe? they're out there. personally i don't like pg's. only pg i have is on a j-bass.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
It's because were too good, too technical, too shred-tastic that are picking technique is immaculate and we need our flame/quilt maple tops to curve with the body, negating the use of a pick guard.
There are some options out there like the Kiesel example above with a pickguard. If not you can buy an Ibanez or something with a flat body profile and it wouldn't be difficult to find an aftermarket pick guard you can either A) drill into the body or B) stick/glue on to the body.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
You could have made it a NON TREM version... perhaps soon enough... how about that?

There's a reason why I made the guard as a trem version, that's next ;)

Reaction score
My favourite thing about this thread is that the starter of the thread is nowhere to be seen.

I've already noticed that... 1st post with a "stupid" thread subject and is gone... but we make the party going, right? Rock on!

There's a reason why I made the guard as a trem version, that's next ;)

Ooooooohh... my bad, sorry. PLEASE post your to become mods whenever possible...

Remind me to ask you where you get the pickguard when I need to resurrect my lust for a 3 Single coil RG plan... :yum:

I had to make a new pickguard for my UV... I found that PERLE GUITARS had a vector PDF file in A4 format with one for ibanez 7 stringers. The pickguard is a bit bigger than the A4 file format, so it looks incomplete or cut out, however, I opened it with Adobe Illustrator instead of Acrobat/Reader and found that not only the pickguard was complete, as well as there was another one in that file for Ibanez RG8s... From there, I just did some full size prints to make sure all the holes were in place and decided on what to laser cut HSH, HH, HSS, HS (neck and bridge or neck and middle)... one can go as crazy as one wants...