Why are you happy right now?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Spring cleaning and downsizing!

Roommate's Marshall AVT whatever solid state shitmachine taking-up-space-in-the-garage-ass-half-stack just sold.

Traded my baritele for a super booteek analogman sun face fuzz. Not sure I'll keep it but it's the same value, perhaps more, in a much smaller package.

Traded a big heavy amp for a smaller, better-functioning amp that sounds great.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Spring cleaning and downsizing!

Roommate's Marshall AVT whatever solid state shitmachine taking-up-space-in-the-garage-ass-half-stack just sold.

Traded my baritele for a super booteek analogman sun face fuzz. Not sure I'll keep it but it's the same value, perhaps more, in a much smaller package.

Traded a big heavy amp for a smaller, better-functioning amp that sounds great.

Ditched the Cabronita?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

Ditched the Cabronita?

Sheeeit and here I am still looking at photos of it longingly like Wolverine laying in bed fondling a framed photo.

I only recently started playing again here and there so I really have no justification to pick up a 4th guitar, but one of these days I'll find a used one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
One of my bands got back a first mix for an album we've been workin on for a while. I think this is the first time that I've gotten a mix back from an outside person and it still sounds like me in the recording. It wasn't all re-amped and sample replaced and turned into something that doesn't sound like us anymore. It's a small thing maybe, but it's satisfying.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I was about to have the biggest panic attack ever at work today when I realised one of my obsolete emails had been hijacked. Felt super helpless because I couldn't recover it. Then I came home and I have no idea what happened since I don't think it even asked me for the password but I got in. :lol: Needless to say I put all the security measures to action so it will never happen again. Fucking cyberhackers.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Surprising myself with what I can do. There are still some rough edges to knock off, but I went from bumbling through transposing the chords into B standard the night before, to playing & singing the Acoustic Wizard cover of The Sun Has Turned To Black all the way through last night, unaccompanied. Dust off the stage, open mic host.....

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
About a year and a half into having my Sony WF-1000XM4 wireless earbuds, using them daily at work and while doing chores around the house the battery life went down drastically. I sent them in for repair back in early December and after almost 3 months I finally got them back this week. I've been using my partner's Samsung Galaxy Buds in the meantime and they got the job done, but I immediately could tell the difference in quality with them. It's a small thing, but have the Sonys back has been a nice little pickmeup at work that's been helping get through the days.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've been using the XM5s, and I was hesitant at first with the idea of tiny expensive buds I could lose, but my cheapo headset died and I got a discount through work - it's a small luxury, but having something nice to listen through is just... well, nice. I get more use out of the noise cancellation than I thought I would.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using the XM5s, and I was hesitant at first with the idea of tiny expensive buds I could lose, but my cheapo headset died and I got a discount through work - it's a small luxury, but having something nice to listen through is just... well, nice. I get more use out of the noise cancellation than I thought I would.
Same here. I also got mine through a rewards program through work so they were essentially free. I doubt I would've splurged on them on my own, but now having the direct comparison to the Galaxy Budd and knowing the improvement in performance, user options, noise cancelling, and battery life, I'd say they're worth the extra $100 or so.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've been debating going the same route with my TV. I've got what was an "entry-level" bravia 40" from 2010, but I'm spoiled by the good 4k monitor I use for work. At the distance the TV is from the couch, I should be able to aim for something like 65" for the density of 4k, and work discounts mean that what would be a $3k OLED is closer to $1800. Which is still a lot for a TV, but easier to justify.

brector

Reaction score
I've been debating going the same route with my TV. I've got what was an "entry-level" bravia 40" from 2010, but I'm spoiled by the good 4k monitor I use for work. At the distance the TV is from the couch, I should be able to aim for something like 65" for the density of 4k, and work discounts mean that what would be a $3k OLED is closer to $1800. Which is still a lot for a TV, but easier to justify.
The big difference for me when going to 4K was not the resolution jump, but other features like HDR and Dolby Vison along with local dimming. You should be impressed

brector

Reaction score
I dunno if I've just not figured out quite how to use it properly, or got poor implementations of it, but I've hated every supposed "HRD" thing I've tried. It always looked awful.
Not sure on that one. What looked bad to you?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Usually games through an "HDR" monitor of some kind. The worst one I can remember was trying one of the new Tomb Raider games maybe a year ago. It kinda just looked like someone took the game as it usually looked on a non-HDR monitor, and just cranked the brightness and contrast up so that everything was blown out. It was awful.

Then again, every monitor I've had claiming to support HDR only did the bare minimum to get the rating. It's very possible that I don't know what it's supposed to look like and would actually be blown away by a proper OLED or something.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I got a solid Samsung 65" 4K OLED (or QLEDor whatever tf) with HDR 2 years ago and it was a huuuuge imrovoment from my LG regular LED TV. Super nice picture, playing Breath of the Wild on it had me stopping every now and then and just looking around at all the gorgeous colours and scenery. Definitely would recommend one if you can get a good price. Mine was a refurb for just under $1700, pretty sure I saved $1k compared to a NIB one.

jaxadam

Reaction score
We have a couple of Sony 3D capable 4K HDRs and they are fantastic. Zero issues, excellent processing, and periodic software updates have really kept these things right by where where want them.

I just leave it on standard and make a few minor adjustments, even though some people calibrate the living shit out if these things.

It even doubles as a fireplace in the winter.

IMG-5517.jpg

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Got my Launchpad X over the weekend. I spent, I dunno, three hours looking for some way to program the stupid thing without spending six years learning a whole new DAW. Everything you look up tells you to use Ableton the way it was intended. Finally, about to give up, I stumbled over Novation Components, which is what I was looking for all along. Individually program each pad to a note.

About ten minutes later I had my first layout for GGD drums and was tapping out rhythms. I do a *TON* of typing in my life, so it's gonna take a while to break the habit of "one finger at a time, must release before next press." But, when I slow things down, I'm able to get a nice swing rhythm and a decent four on the floor backbeat thing. I think with some practice this will work good. And I'll finally take less than two weeks to program a decent drum track.

brector

Reaction score
Usually games through an "HDR" monitor of some kind. The worst one I can remember was trying one of the new Tomb Raider games maybe a year ago. It kinda just looked like someone took the game as it usually looked on a non-HDR monitor, and just cranked the brightness and contrast up so that everything was blown out. It was awful.

Then again, every monitor I've had claiming to support HDR only did the bare minimum to get the rating. It's very possible that I don't know what it's supposed to look like and would actually be blown away by a proper OLED or something.
Gaming monitor vs. a "tv" are much different. Head to a local store and have them show off HDR on a tv you are looking into and test it out. Should be much different experience vs. gaming HDR.

Latest posts