Why are you mad right now?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Complaint #2

I've lived in the same house for about 13 years now. Was all older couples, as they move away they're replaced by people my age who are all a fucking nightmare to live around.

They're all fuckin loud trailer trash. Loud truck, dirt bike/ATV/snowmobile, mow the lawn at 6am on the weekend, work some shit warehouse job fire up their truck at 4am, throw parties random days at random times with kids and animals running around, fuckin bonfires random nights with smoke blowing directly into my house, park either infront of my house or on the opposite side of the road infront of my driveway so that i can't get in/out easily. Oh and the one couple who cant get along so the goddamn cops are outside every week or two.

It was just one house, now its four. Only one of my old neighbors left and they're fixing to move by the end of the year. 😮‍💨
Sounds like a bunch of vile degenerates. We don't pay property taxes and HOA fees to deal with that shit. No thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of vile degenerates. We don't pay property taxes and HOA fees to deal with that shit. No thank you!
Oh yeah, that part actually gets worse.

Them parking infront of my house has led multiple times to my garbage not being picked up because the garbage truck couldn't see or get to it.

I actually told them, and that prompted them to do it MORE just to piss me off. To make matters worse, their family work for the DPW and deliberately didn't pickup my garbage/clippings multiple times after that. I've got a ring camera outside and I saw the garbage man walk right past my cans on purpose.

I took the issue to city hall, who sent them a formal letter "asking" them to not block my garbage cans, and they also sent the DPW crew back over here to pickup the garbage they skipped. So "for now" they're behaving but obviously there's an animosity now and I look like a Karen.

EDIT: Same family have an indoor/outdoor cat they let freeroam at night, and it'll piss on my patio furniture.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The surgery center for which I work may be responsible for exposing me to bloodborne pathogens.

Working in medicine sucks sometimes. Too bad being a guitar tech pays shit.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that part actually gets worse.

Them parking infront of my house has led multiple times to my garbage not being picked up because the garbage truck couldn't see or get to it.

I actually told them, and that prompted them to do it MORE just to piss me off. To make matters worse, their family work for the DPW and deliberately didn't pickup my garbage/clippings multiple times after that. I've got a ring camera outside and I saw the garbage man walk right past my cans on purpose.

I took the issue to city hall, who sent them a formal letter "asking" them to not block my garbage cans, and they also sent the DPW crew back over here to pickup the garbage they skipped. So "for now" they're behaving but obviously there's an animosity now and I look like a Karen.

EDIT: Same family have an indoor/outdoor cat they let freeroam at night, and it'll piss on my patio furniture.
That's why property values are plummeting. What a bunch useless pricks. I think neighbors need to be less obnoxious to others. My neighbor has summer outdoor parties every so often, but his guests dont block driveways, the music isn't too terribly loud, and it doesn't go all hours of the night. I don't have a problem with it.

I do, however have a problem with some kid who's "learning" to play guitar, and thinks playing loud in their open garage while people are working from home is fine. He doesn't seem to realize he's massively out of tune, so no, I will not be imparting any guitar playing wisdom on him.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll use the word "frustration" here. I can't for the life of me find a 5 or 6 string fretted bass that I can get on with. I've tried the meager offerings locally and they're all lower-tier stuff that don't feel good in the hand, and all the mid-tier stuff I've bought online has been disappointing for one reason or another. I've even bought a bass and had it plekked and it still buzzed like hell with high action. I don't play that hard with fingerstyle but it just seems like everything I try has excessive buzz and a shitty feel, even when I level the frets or have someone else do it.

I will continue my search for a 35" scale (as close to) buzz-free (as possible) workhorse that has correct neck angle/geometry.

The kicker is the bass with the least buzz I've ever played was the old Schecter I refretted a couple months ago, but I sold it because I hated the fat neck on it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
had it plekked and it still buzzed like hell with high action

That seems fishy. Where did you have it PLEK'd? Some shops do a shit job of setting up their frames and doing prep-work and wind up making things worse. Sweetwater infamously sent out some stuff with like the first three frets trimmed down almost flat to the board because they used the wrong frame.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
That seems fishy. Where did you have it PLEK'd? Some shops do a shit job of setting up their frames and doing prep-work and wind up making things worse. Sweetwater infamously sent out some stuff with like the first three frets trimmed down almost flat to the board because they used the wrong frame.

You guessed right. It was a sweetwater plek. Did it as a bit of a Hail Mary since I have had terrible experiences with Indonesian Ibanez fretwork. I sent the bass back.

There's a very good luthier with a plek machine 2 hours drive from me. I'm going to go to him next time. From everything I've watched, the plek requires the right human operating it, as you seem to have alluded to.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah, if I paid hundreds of dollars for a PLEK job, only for Sweetwater to pretty much ruin the guitar to such a degree that I'd require an entire refret, I'd send it back and require a full 100% refund (with 0% out of pocket for shipping, etc) or I'd never order from Sweetwater again.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'll use the word "frustration" here. I can't for the life of me find a 5 or 6 string fretted bass that I can get on with. I've tried the meager offerings locally and they're all lower-tier stuff that don't feel good in the hand, and all the mid-tier stuff I've bought online has been disappointing for one reason or another. I've even bought a bass and had it plekked and it still buzzed like hell with high action. I don't play that hard with fingerstyle but it just seems like everything I try has excessive buzz and a shitty feel, even when I level the frets or have someone else do it.

I will continue my search for a 35" scale (as close to) buzz-free (as possible) workhorse that has correct neck angle/geometry.

The kicker is the bass with the least buzz I've ever played was the old Schecter I refretted a couple months ago, but I sold it because I hated the fat neck on it.

Edit: huh, apparently mine isnt 35" like I thought, could've sworn they were. Nevermind then.

Have you tried an EHB1005? I have one I was looking at parting with, I like it well enough I just don't play enough bass to justify having a 4 and 5 string.

Depending on where in MA you are, you might be close enough to try it, if you haven't played one already.

Or if you hate headless models, forget this post entirely!

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an
Edit: huh, apparently mine isnt 35" like I thought, could've sworn they were. Nevermind then.

Have you tried an EHB1005? I have one I was looking at parting with, I like it well enough I just don't play enough bass to justify having a 4 and 5 string.

Depending on where in MA you are, you might be close enough to try it, if you haven't played one already.

Or if you hate headless models, forget this post entirely!

I have an EHB 5str fretless! I like nearly almost everything about it, but I'm getting some weird sounds out of the first few positions on the A string that I'm trying to track down. I gotta dig a little deeper and eliminate some stuff, because my fear is it's truss rod rattle, but more research is needed.

I'm in the process of selling another bass at the moment, but once that is done with I may be interested in yours if you still have it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an

I have an EHB 5str fretless! I like nearly almost everything about it, but I'm getting some weird sounds out of the first few positions on the A string that I'm trying to track down. I gotta dig a little deeper and eliminate some stuff, because my fear is it's truss rod rattle, but more research is needed.

I'm in the process of selling another bass at the moment, but once that is done with I may be interested in yours if you still have it.

The old trick is to attach a big pair of vicegrips to the "headstock", or even just clamp the whole thing to the bench, and see if those odd vibrations are there. Works for dead spots too. If that doesn't help, yeah it's either the truss rod or other hardware pieces.

First octave-ish A, and second octave-ish G are usually the most common problems. Lighter basses tend to have more issues too.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Got some music related frustration:

I've been working on a lot of projects for two bands at the same time, and I've run into this same situation before - tracks are sent off to someone to be mixed, with fully ready-to-go sounds and included DIs as backups, just for the mix to come back weeks later completely re-amped and not sounding like the same band anymore. I know I'm not exactly a pro mix engineer or anything like that, but I like to think I have half decent ears, and it drives me up the wall spending so much time getting things prepared for someone to mix - getting guitar sounds, reamping things myself, putting together scratch/demo mixes so that they have an idea what the general sound should be, etc., and then those tracks get thrown out and redone. That's not what a mix is. Reamping is not a mix. Mixing is a mix. If I send guitar tracks fucking use them. I don't care if they're compressed and filtered and processed to all hell and back, but it would at least still be the thing I sent over. I can think of so many reasons to just use the tracks we gave, not the least of which is that we're under a time crunch and don't have time to iterate on guitar sounds at this point.

I don't know if it bothers the rest of the band members from either band, nobody else has said anything else yet - and if I'm the odd one out, I guess I just live with it, but maaaaaaan does it grind my gears. Rustles my jimmies. Gets my knickers in a twist. Shits in my cornflakes. Sours my milk. Ruffles my feathers. Pushes my buttons. Breaks my strings.

nightflameauto

Reaction score

I had one 35" base, a BTB that I bought used that was beat to shit, that worked right for me. I sold it like a rube because I thought I had a better one lined up. Nope.

All I have to add: If you ever find what you're looking for, don't ever, EVER, let it go thinking you'll upgrade.
Got some music related frustration:

I've been working on a lot of projects for two bands at the same time, and I've run into this same situation before - tracks are sent off to someone to be mixed, with fully ready-to-go sounds and included DIs as backups, just for the mix to come back weeks later completely re-amped and not sounding like the same band anymore. I know I'm not exactly a pro mix engineer or anything like that, but I like to think I have half decent ears, and it drives me up the wall spending so much time getting things prepared for someone to mix - getting guitar sounds, reamping things myself, putting together scratch/demo mixes so that they have an idea what the general sound should be, etc., and then those tracks get thrown out and redone. That's not what a mix is. Reamping is not a mix. Mixing is a mix. If I send guitar tracks fucking use them. I don't care if they're compressed and filtered and processed to all hell and back, but it would at least still be the thing I sent over. I can think of so many reasons to just use the tracks we gave, not the least of which is that we're under a time crunch and don't have time to iterate on guitar sounds at this point.

I don't know if it bothers the rest of the band members from either band, nobody else has said anything else yet - and if I'm the odd one out, I guess I just live with it, but maaaaaaan does it grind my gears. Rustles my jimmies. Gets my knickers in a twist. Shits in my cornflakes. Sours my milk. Ruffles my feathers. Pushes my buttons. Breaks my strings.
Fricker disease. Be a mix engineer that whines incessantly that every band sound the same, then demand DIs for every track so that you can reamp everybody to sound exactly the same.

I feel your pain, even though I haven't personally been through it. I did go through helping a buddy record a bunch of tracks, which he then sent off only to have them all reamped. He had some real quality tone too. Mix engineers now seem to get a real thrill from taking whatever they get and tossing it into their favorite template so that it "sounds right to my ears." Never mind that bands wouldn't mind having their own identity. Fuck that. Conform or die! That's the new version of rock and roll.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Fricker disease.
I calmed down, and went back to the track with fresh ears. I think what happened is that the amount of processing going on just fooled me. The track has been run through some amount of a mastering chain, and I think what's throwing me is that everything is smoothed over, in a way. The tone I used was mid-heavy and bite-y, but it's been scooped out and the high end boosted, which is the opposite of what I normally do. It's also compressed with something that smoothed over the dynamics to a shiny level of polish. So what started as a pissed off boosted marshall-esque sound has had a lot of it's character smoothed off, and I was very unprepared for that. My tone is in there, it's just much more polite than I was expecting. The same thing is true of the whole mix, it's a very polite mix. I dunno what to think about it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Heyo, lots of reasons to post in this thread lately.

Saw an ad for a roadking 2x12. Good price. In an area I'll be driving through shortly. Cool. I'd buy that for a dollar. I message the guy, notice the v30 and c90 are on the wrong sides. He asks for a deposit to hold it until I'm in town. I ask for a picture to validate the c90 is actually in the closed-back side. Turns out there's no c90. It's two v30s. Womp womp.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I calmed down, and went back to the track with fresh ears. I think what happened is that the amount of processing going on just fooled me. The track has been run through some amount of a mastering chain, and I think what's throwing me is that everything is smoothed over, in a way. The tone I used was mid-heavy and bite-y, but it's been scooped out and the high end boosted, which is the opposite of what I normally do. It's also compressed with something that smoothed over the dynamics to a shiny level of polish. So what started as a pissed off boosted marshall-esque sound has had a lot of it's character smoothed off, and I was very unprepared for that. My tone is in there, it's just much more polite than I was expecting. The same thing is true of the whole mix, it's a very polite mix. I dunno what to think about it.

I think that if you're paying for these services with money you earned, you should accept nothing less than what you intend to get.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think that if you're paying for these services with money you earned, you should accept nothing less than what you intend to get.
We're certainly going to send some feedback and try again, but I'm just one of four, and we're on a tight time constraint, so I don't know how many iterations we have time for.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
We're certainly going to send some feedback and try again, but I'm just one of four, and we're on a tight time constraint, so I don't know how many iterations we have time for.

I understand. Making compromises sucks but that's life I guess :(