Why are you mad right now?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I fucked up! 👎
I was having problems with a RJ45 cable which had a broken plastic pin and wouldn't stay in the port. The cable goes outside my house from one room to another. All I had to do was buy a crimping tool, tester, cut the cable and add a new connector. But no! I got greedy and simply bought another cable because I thought it would be easy to run it through again and didn't want to spend the money on the tools. The cable wouldn't fit and I couldn't run it through. So then I bought the tools and cut it, and it still got stuck somewhere inside the tube.
So now I spend the money on the cable, the tools, I have no Internet, and I have to call an electrician to help me run the cable through again. This should've been so simple....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I fucked up! 👎
I was having problems with a RJ45 cable which had a broken plastic pin and wouldn't stay in the port. The cable goes outside my house from one room to another. All I had to do was buy a crimping tool, tester, cut the cable and add a new connector. But no! I got greedy and simply bought another cable because I thought it would be easy to run it through again and didn't want to spend the money on the tools. The cable wouldn't fit and I couldn't run it through. So then I bought the tools and cut it, and it still got stuck somewhere inside the tube.
So now I spend the money on the cable, the tools, I have no Internet, and I have to call an electrician to help me run the cable through again. This should've been so simple....

Pro tip: there are replacement clips for sale for RJ45 cables. They're not intended for permanent use, but for places where you don't constantly pull the cables in and out they absolutely do the trick.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I wanted to go get groceries at lunch, but there is a massive work truck just blocking all of the garages in this little townhouse complex I'm living in, and nobody around to ask to move it. So I guess I am going to order uber eats for lunch, which will cost almost as much as a whole week's worth of groceries. And then I still have to go get groceries after work when there's a bunch of traffic.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I wanted to go get groceries at lunch, but there is a massive work truck just blocking all of the garages in this little townhouse complex I'm living in, and nobody around to ask to move it. So I guess I am going to order uber eats for lunch, which will cost almost as much as a whole week's worth of groceries. And then I still have to go get groceries after work when there's a bunch of traffic.
If they have a "how's my driving" sticker, call the number. "I don't know about their driving, but they sure are top notch at blocking peoples drive ways. As result, I now have to spend as much on one meal through Uber eats as I would of I bought a week's worth of groceries. Thanks a bunch."

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
If they have a "how's my driving" sticker, call the number. "I don't know about their driving, but they sure are top notch at blocking peoples drive ways. As result, I now have to spend as much on one meal through Uber eats as I would of I bought a week's worth of groceries. Thanks a bunch."
the thing is all these trucks around here are just some dude that owns a truck who gets paid in cash. It's probably the person the HOA pays to keep the complex clean.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
the thing is all these trucks around here are just some dude that owns a truck who gets paid in cash. It's probably the person the HOA pays to keep the complex clean.
Well, shit. The HOA will probably give you some empty response that really doesn't mean anything.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Just gotta get in the car, back up as much as you can to the truck, and lay on the horn until the driver comes out. You might piss off the neighbours but they can direct that piss right at the driver.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I fucked up! 👎

Make sure you:
1.) Leave a pull string running through the conduit when you’re done, in case you ever have to do this again.
2.) Put “snag-free” rubber boots on before the RJ-45 ends. They’ll help protect the clips from getting broken off the new connectors.
3.) Better yet, cut in wallplate locations in the rooms where the UTP wire comes in from outside. Punch the wire down to wallplate jacks so that you can use pre-terminated jumpers between the wallplates and the equipment. This requires a punchdown tool, also worth having.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
To continue on the RJ45 thing: another way to go if you don't have the tools, is to cut the cable and join it with another RJ45 cable that has a working clip - that way you don't need to mess with the connector itself at all. Also without the connector it's much easier to get the cable through holes in walls etc.

Technically the cable won't be according to standards anymore as apparently they're required to be twisted around each other for protection against electromagnetic interference, but it shouldn't be a problem since it's not going into an industrial setup or anything.

But yeah, of course #3 in @Wiltonauer 's post would be the optimal solution, and if you'd be doing that, you could use the same cable with the broken clip still, just peel that and connect the wires into a wallplate connector. That's basically what I always dreamed of having, RJ45 cables in the walls and connectors in every room, so you could just hook anything up wherever you need it. But those thoughts were back before N-type WiFi came out... after that cables mostly became redundant, apart from a few devices that can just sit next to the router.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Yeah guys this house is like 50s or 60s wiring and rented so I can't do anything too sophisticated. I had a cable that goes in a rubber tube outside the house from the living room router to my room. Then I have a switch there which gives that signal to my PCs in that room. Just need the electrician to come by and help me run the cable through the tube again. The replacement clip would've saved me this whole headache though 👍

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah guys this house is like 50s or 60s wiring and rented so I can't do anything too sophisticated. I had a cable that goes in a rubber tube outside the house from the living room router to my room. Then I have a switch there which gives that signal to my PCs in that room. Just need the electrician to come by and help me run the cable through the tube again. The replacement clip would've saved me this whole headache though 👍

Yeah, can't do much in a rented house. But yeah, those replacement clips are a blessing, but they were surprisingly hard to find. You'd imagine people would need those all the time, as those clips are really sensitive... I don't even remember where I ordered them in the end, but I ordered enough of them so I probably will never need any more :lol: Of course depending on how and where the cable sits, you could just jam a toothpick or similar in there to get it tighter, but if the connector is straight down (as it is in my case) the only real solution to the problem is having a working clip... And also some RJ45 female connectors have a spring in them, so it will spit the cable out if it doesn't have the clip.

It looks like this:
1716966256484.png

Last edited:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Yeah, can't do much in a rented house. But yeah, those replacement clips are a blessing, but they were surprisingly hard to find. You'd imagine people would need those all the time, as those clips are really sensitive... I don't even remember where I ordered them in the end, but I ordered enough of them so I probably will never need any more :lol: Of course depending on how and where the cable sits, you could just jam a toothpick or similar in there to get it tighter, but if the connector is straight down (as it is in my case) the only real solution to the problem is having a working clip... And also some RJ45 female connectors have a spring in them, so it will spit the cable out if it doesn't have the clip.

It looks like this:
View attachment 144225
That looks like a whole lot of fluff for something that could be fixed with a chunk of duct tape.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
That looks like a whole lot of fluff for something that could be fixed with a chunk of duct tape.

Well, I tried to fix one of my cables in many ways (cable tie, jamming toothpicks and stuff in between the connector to get it tight, tape...) but since my fiber modem is mounted to the wall with the port pointing downwards, the cable just wouldn't stay in there until I got those clips.

Last edited:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Well, I tried to fix one of my cables in many ways (cable tie, jamming toothpicks and stuff in between the connector to get it tight, tape...) but since my fiber modem is mounted to the wall with the port pointing downwards, the cable just wouldn't stay in there until I got those clips.
Hey, whatever works. Just sayin' Red Greene would be disappointed.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I am fucking furious right now. I have crazy neighbors that ride 4 wheelers and dirt bikes down our street at all hours of the day loud as hell, almost hitting cars and kids while speeding and wheelie-ing. I had enough and called the police and waited and waited. The neighbors ride by like crazy and confront me because I call them a jackass as they speed by. I told them to stop riding like maniacs and that it's against the law to ride these vehicles, especially the way they are doing it, on the roads we live on. They start yelling at me saying they'll just out run the cops and why am I such a book follower (lol), etc. I tell them I called the cops. They wheelie off (on camera, lol) They stand outside their house menacingly for 2 hours and then did a huge wheelie parade out as the police never showed.

Finally, after they were gone, the police show up but never actually stop as I'm waving outside my house trying to stop them to file a report. They never stop. I called 911 back and they reported they stopped and talked to someone and the issue was resolved. Here I am waiting on them to come back. Fuck them dude. I'm seriously worried these kids are gonna hurt someone or retaliate against my house.

my dad had neighbors like that until he finally unleashed me. after a rowdy night, we waited for them to JUST finally pass out from their drunkenness. In Back To The Future style revenge, i set up an old Line 6 Spider IV full stack i had in the garage on the back porch. Grabbed a shitty beginner strat that hadnt been played in years and plugged it in. Maxxed the gain, maxxed the channel volume, maxxed the master volume, turned the volume knob all the wya on the guitar and then leaned it against the 4x12 with the single coils pointing to the speakers. You could "feel" the level of hum coming out of it before i even brought it out of standby. We all put our hearing protection in and i let her rip.

The piercing shriek of that feedback cutting through their walls, accomplished its mission. We woke their kids up, who were screaming from the sound, thus waking them up right as they fell to sleep, and now have to deal with the hangover, the loud screeching from us, and the loud screeching from their kids. Victory was mine.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
my dad had neighbors like that until he finally unleashed me. after a rowdy night, we waited for them to JUST finally pass out from their drunkenness. In Back To The Future style revenge, i set up an old Line 6 Spider IV full stack i had in the garage on the back porch. Grabbed a shitty beginner strat that hadnt been played in years and plugged it in. Maxxed the gain, maxxed the channel volume, maxxed the master volume, turned the volume knob all the wya on the guitar and then leaned it against the 4x12 with the single coils pointing to the speakers. You could "feel" the level of hum coming out of it before i even brought it out of standby. We all put our hearing protection in and i let her rip.

The piercing shriek of that feedback cutting through their walls, accomplished its mission. We woke their kids up, who were screaming from the sound, thus waking them up right as they fell to sleep, and now have to deal with the hangover, the loud screeching from us, and the loud screeching from their kids. Victory was mine.

Beautiful

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I honestly have fantasized about stuff like this. I'm glad you did this.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly have fantasized about stuff like this. I'm glad you did this.

If Im being honest, ive fantasized about doing this all my life and just finally found the perfect place and time to execute. Its funny, the cops had no more questions for us when we showed them the videos we recorded of the neighbors driving their cars drunkenly in their backyard while we are yelling at them to cut it out.

It was great when they were asking about the loud "screaming" sound the neighbors reported.... i simply said that I was trying to play the star spangled banner in celebration of the 4th but there was a short in my guitar cables and I was trying to track down its source. LMFAO

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

In the words of ol John Rambo when asked what he thought, "Fuck em!"