Why are you mad right now?

• Thread starter Faine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Well, my day just went from bad to worse: been stressed with the family/lawyer stuff, had some stresses at work, etc., so I sat down to relax with a guitar, and the fucking power switch broke off my FM3. Now it's just an expensive brick. Fuck.
I feel like you'd be able to swap that switch out! Is it in a weird spot? I'm not familiar with he FM3.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd have to swap the whole power jack thingie out, I think. It's all one unit. The switch itself is a rocker that seems to push down on some metal contacts (that are now just loose with no switch to hold them down). The plastic pivots for the rocker switch snapped off, I guess. This is the same unit with the fried USB. I think the thing is just cursed.

1713226874847.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I'd have to swap the whole power jack thingie out, I think. It's all one unit. The switch itself is a rocker that seems to push down on some metal contacts (that are now just loose with no switch to hold them down). The plastic pivots for the rocker switch snapped off, I guess. This is the same unit with the fried USB. I think the thing is just cursed.

View attachment 142215
maybe possible to glue it? picture is a little small so it's hard to see down in there too well, but it's hopefully fixable

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
The little pivot parts are too small, so I think the best I could do is glue it permanently on and just plug/unplug it all the time. Which would be lame, but I guess it would work.
sounds like the sort of band-aid solution that i'd do to get it working, while promising that i'd get it "actually fixed" asap, and then 5 years later realize i'm still using the band aid fix

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Woke up thinking I was gassy, wasn't until I tried to move I realized the full extent of the horrors my bowels had concocted overnight, and rightly proceeded to the bathroom to rid myself of what looked not far off from a cat's hairballs; but before I was even off the toilet, what ho, another volley!

Thinking the worst was over - surely how could it not be?! - I proceeded to take a shower, as not only did I need it from the gym but it was that bad of a shit. But lo and behold, my loins had laid a devious trap, and there was a THIRD round, just waiting for me to finish drying off, to ruin all my deserved cleanliness.

So there's no way I'm risking going into the office this morning after that sparring match, I'm 0-3, not changing it infront of other people and >10' away

nightflameauto

Reaction score
If it didn't feel so much like a fire hazard, it technically works if I jam some picks into the switch so it can't move.
View attachment 142217
Metal. I'd use it as a theme and shove picks into all sorts of random places on it. I can send ya some cymbal brass picks if it'd help!

Went to log into my personal webmail this morning and it's down. So I go to log into my control panel web portal, and it's down. I get to digging around and find out my hosting service has been sold. The old provider no longer exists, the new provider doesn't allow any logins from the "in process" move. YAY! PAYING FOR SERVICE YOU CAN'T USE IS AWESOME!

I feel an epic rant coming on about consolidating shitty services into shittier services, but I may save it for the boss. He needs an earful today anyway.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Metal. I'd use it as a theme and shove picks into all sorts of random places on it. I can send ya some cymbal brass picks if it'd help!
I've emailed the fractal support to try to get a price and turnaround time to get things fixed, but if that answer ends up being awful, it's tempting to just melt the plastic together with an old soldering iron or something, weld the plastic shut and be done with it. It's janky, but at this point, what else am I gonna do.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I've emailed the fractal support to try to get a price and turnaround time to get things fixed, but if that answer ends up being awful, it's tempting to just melt the plastic together with an old soldering iron or something, weld the plastic shut and be done with it. It's janky, but at this point, what else am I gonna do.
If I may? Use a butane torch. Scar the rest of the unite in the process.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I fucking whiffed the first roll on a breakfast burrito I made for tomorrow, had to transfer it to a new tortilla which also has some tears in which I didn't notice until too late. Think next time I'm gonna also use smaller chunks of sausage and work it into the eggs; then I can just throw the bacon strips on when rolling and it won't matter.

OK, so I've rolled nearly half a dozen of these guys by now, and I finally got a presentable one today, and the one before this was terrible but it was more choad-esque than today's; y'know what I mean, not a long burrito but just a girth SOB. I managed to crack it (no pun intended) by going to 2 jumbo eggs instead of 3 medium ones, and letting the pan get a little hot but not to omlette levels of cooking on medium-high; then I was able to pour the eggs in and let them get a base simmer, threw in 1/3 cup of cottage cheese, and that was when I started stirring/folding like a madman, should've lowered the heat but I wasn't thinking about that, I just wanted to get something out of it.

By the time they were done, the cottage cheese had been pretty well mixed in and the eggs had cooked all the way through while not becoming overdone. Dicing up the bacon also allowed for a better roll and it wasn't trying to deal with the full strip, so I think I can keep this going for a bit, just need a few more to see if this was a fluke.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I need to stop pretending that stock wiring will do ok on budget guitars.

FUCK

It fucking blows to come to conclusions that cost time and money.

nightflameauto

Reaction score

FUCK

If you don't wanna blow massive coin, GFS (guitarfetish.ocm) Pups and wiring are in two of mine. One of them even has the modern solderless system. My number 1, a shitty Jackson JS32T King V. Never has had an issue since I put all that into it. And it's been beaten on a LOT. Dragged around the country, slung between friends, you name it. I think I spent a total of $120 for two pickups, the wiring harness, pots, and all the wiring I needed for it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score

FUCK

99% of the time the wiring is fine but the pickups suck. Swapping pots or cap values can help tweak stuff for a cheaper price than immediately swapping pickups tho.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
2nd day in a row that my stomach decided to finally send the "go shit, man!" signal after I put on new underwear and pants; bitch, we running the same body, why you doing this to us?!

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
99% of the time the wiring is fine but the pickups suck. Swapping pots or cap values can help tweak stuff for a cheaper price than immediately swapping pickups tho.
In this case I had to hunt down the problem solder joint, then find that the wire they chose to use was so small that it will break whenever I moved anything in the circuit. Other times it’s simply been a matter of figuring out how the fuck they wired something. It’s to the point that I’d rather just start over most of the time. In this case they cut the pickup leads just short enough that when I cut them again at the solder joints and resoldered them, they were too short for the pickguard holes to line up.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
In this case I had to hunt down the problem solder joint, then find that the wire they chose to use was so small that it will break whenever I moved anything in the circuit. Other times it’s simply been a matter of figuring out how the fuck they wired something. It’s to the point that I’d rather just start over most of the time. In this case they cut the pickup leads just short enough that when I cut them again at the solder joints and resoldered them, they were too short for the pickguard holes to line up.
Fucking slack jawed yokels.