Why are you sad right now?

• Thread starter Alex Kenivel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found out the family dog my parents have had since I was 13 or 14 (12+yrs ago) is riddled with cancer and needs put down.

That dog never hurt anyone, and was healthy until a week ago. She lived a great life on the "farm", ran daily, ate a ton of eggs, harassed the chickens, and got loved by everyone everyday.

And now I'm going to say goodbye to her one last time.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Found out the family dog my parents have had since I was 13 or 14 (12+yrs ago) is riddled with cancer and needs put down.

That dog never hurt anyone, and was healthy until a week ago. She lived a great life on the "farm", ran daily, ate a ton of eggs, harassed the chickens, and got loved by everyone everyday.

So sorry, mate. I'm dealing with a similar situation with one of my cats rn. Never felt any lower tbh. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score

My condolences.

My 10 year old cat died of cancer last year right near my birthday.

I'd say it gets easier with time but it really doesn't.

nightflameauto

Reaction score

It's hard to say goodbye to good pets. We've been through that a lot, and will likely be through it many more times.

Speaking of pets. Had a conversation with the neighbor lady last night about our pets. One of our dogs is limping so we were discussing how to keep our big bud puppies from running the fence together while she heals. She says one of hers, a super friendly, super good natured little dude, was a rescue she took from a friend that had a husband that was beating the dog. I can't imagine doing that. Like, god damn. This pup is a sweetheart too. Constantly worrying over the kids back there. Watching everybody like a hawk, grabbing mom and dad if something goes down the pup can't fix itself. Not to mention being happy, kissy, love everybody with everyone it meets.

On the bright side, it's that way despite what it's been through. I can't imagine a person being able to weather that and just cheering up the second things got better for them. Dogs make the best people.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Sick yesterday and today, no work. I am never sad about calling in to work, but yesterday I also had a voice recital I'd been putting a lot of work into prepping for. It's not a total waste, I'm singing the song with my band too, but I was really looking forward to having that little "community" experience with the rest of my voice teacher's studio. Ah well.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Mass layoffs. I’m safe… for now. But too many good people losing their jobs.
My poor wife is dealing with a similar situation and unfortunately, the position that she's been working towards for the past eight... yes, eight years is again out of reach... for at least another year or two looks like. And on top of that she's walking on eggshells constantly due to a vindictive, manipulating, belittling, two-faced "boss" that just does not like my wife and continues to passively threaten her. I won't even get into all of that.

But this girl never should have been allowed to be a manager as she embodies all of the worst traits that a company could ever find in an employee. And unfortunately she's running the show... completely void of accountability or scrutiny ( which is the company's fault to be sure) and she's now become like this next-level monster that has gained her strength through completely mismanaging this department.... with inconsistent communication, contradiction, and zero regard for policy.

My wife on the other hand, is a loyal, insanely hard-working, ethical, and consistently progressive and mindful assistant manager yet she's been passed up once again for promotion as her boss has decided to bring in someone from outside of the company to fill the position... simply out of spite... nothing else. This position was supposed to be to and was long ago promised to my wife. Gutted doesn't even accurately describe the level of defeat that she's feeling at this point. She says that she no longer has a career... just a job, and my heart breaks for her.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
I'm someone who wants a fairytale love where I fall in love with a woman and she falls in love with me, we have kids, and spend the rest of our lives together against the world that sort of thing.
Nowadays all I see on Instagram, Reddit, Twitter, is people just cheating.
More and more stories of people cheating on their partners for the stupidest reasons or because they fall in love with the new person.
Is my dream just something of the past now because its all just depressing to see.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
@High Plains Drifter

I've never been in the corporate world, so I have to ask. Because I'm studying and I might eventually have a job like that.
So if you land in a job where your manager is treating you like shit, unless you're desperate for money, why can't you just tell them to fuck off and find another job?
Especially if you're in USA where work is plentiful, from what I hear. I get that it might not look good on your resume, but if they ask you about it, can't you just say you left because your manager was an asshole?
Like I don't understand that, working at it for years in a workplace where there's higher ups who don't like you, you're already at a big disadvantage? Even if you get what you want, what kind of future can you have working with people who hate you?
Sorry if I'm being ignorant.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm someone who wants a fairytale love where I fall in love with a woman and she falls in love with me, we have kids, and spend the rest of our lives together against the world that sort of thing.
More and more stories of people cheating on their partners for the stupidest reasons or because they fall in love with the new person.
Is my dream just something of the past now because its all just depressing to see.

TBH I think the only thing that has changed is that everything is public these days thanks to social media.

Demiurge

Reaction score
That's a nice ideal which I think a lot of folks have, but they fail to realize that relationships that last- even between people who are compatible and love each other very much- are not fairy-tales. There are good times and bad times, and ultimately it requires a lot of work. My guess is what happens is that people get into relationships and when they find that it's not easy-peasy like the ideal, they start thinking that their princess is in another castle, so to speak.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I get it, I'm the same. It really sucks to get your hopes up when you're a kid then get hit hard with reality when you're an adult.
The world is changing and technology has changed society a lot, things aren't very clear for many people.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember that everything you see on social media is either bullshit or posted to get "engagement" so it's basically ragebait. I seriously doubt that the majority of people in relationships have cheated on their partner, they just fill up reddit threads because they get the most attention for the content machine. Fairtytales aren't much different in that they make for good stories, but don't tell you about the bad days, or even the boring days.

But yeah like others have said here: relationships are hard and involve a lot of work, and good relationships are especially fucking hard. I've been with my partner for 8.5 years and I'm still learning how to be a good partner, and I often fall short. I think it will always come down to how much self-awareness someone has, how much they reflect on their behaviour and their environment, and how much work they want to apply. If you love someone, you're gonna do everything you can to be the best person you can be.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
@High Plains Drifter

I've never been in the corporate world, so I have to ask. Because I'm studying and I might eventually have a job like that.
So if you land in a job where your manager is treating you like shit, unless you're desperate for money, why can't you just tell them to fuck off and find another job?
Especially if you're in USA where work is plentiful, from what I hear. I get that it might not look good on your resume, but if they ask you about it, can't you just say you left because your manager was an asshole?
Like I don't understand that, working at it for years in a workplace where there's higher ups who don't like you, you're already at a big disadvantage? Even if you get what you want, what kind of future can you have working with people who hate you?
Sorry if I'm being ignorant.

She started looking elsewhere last year when the shit really started hitting the fan. What she found was very few jobs where she would be making anything close to what she's making now. We unfortunately don't have much flexibility regarding her taking a major downgrade in pay.

Companies/ employers where she could make a sustainable wage, well... they don't want her because they care very little about the experience, efficiency, dedication, and ethics that she would bring to the table. You need to have an impressive resume that includes a bachelors or masters degree at the least. And that's something that she does not have. Even an associates degree means very little... at least in terms of what she discovered while looking into other career opportunities. Engineering and IT jobs are plentiful on the upper end of the spectrum and line-cooks and retail associate positions are abundant on the low end but again.. she lacks the education to land a high-paying job and can't afford to take a massive pay-cut at a low-paying job.

To add to these obstacles, she currently has a very short commute which is fairly valuable to her. She would certainly entertain a longer commute but she isn't willing to be on the road for a ridiculous amount of time per day. So that also cuts down on her opportunities to go elsewhere. Where we live, there just aren't a ton of options unless you're willing to be on the road three or four + hours a day.

And then there's the consideration that she's invested so so much time, effort, energy, etc into her current job/ career. Not that she's not willing to let all that go and start over again at the bottom of the ladder but it's an awfully sobering reality that she struggles with... and potentially starting over for a company where she has little to no passion from the get go. She at least has remained fairly enthusiastic at her current job for much of time because it's what she actually wanted to do. It's a job that has been rewarding and even exciting to her.... up until several years ago. That too makes it a bit difficult to let go of... despite how rough it's been for her in recent years.

I'm sure that some people would feel as if most of these things aren't necessarily sound reasons for her to continue on her current path but these are things that are important to her and do play a part in her not completely abandoning ship just yet.

FWIW @AwakenTheSkies Thanks for the inquiry. It definitely helps for me to be able to vent and correspond with people here on SSO as I have only a handful of friends/ family irl that I feel like sharing this stuff with. I appreciate your interest.

Last edited: