Why are you sad right now?

• Thread starter Alex Kenivel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
This year was my favorite guitar class I taught (at my fiancées elementary school she teaches at). We had our last day today and I probably wont see some of these kids anymore, whom I've taught chords and rhythm to, and are now writing songs and winning contests.

These kids make me so proud.

I hope we get visits when they're older.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
just got offered a good job but that means moving 4 hours away to a place where I know no one. Feeling pretty conflicted.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
just got offered a good job but that means moving 4 hours away to a place where I know no one. Feeling pretty conflicted.

I moved across the country away from everyone I knew/my family.

It sucked. Drove all the way from California to Virginia with ALL my stuff. Gear, CPU with recording stuff, comic book collection and stamp collection that was given to me, most of my clothes, skateboards, list goes on. Had to fly back and leave it all there.

Your situation might be different, I didn't feel like spilling all my guts about the move, but I'll tell you I wasn't moving for a career.

broj15

Reaction score
I moved across the country away from everyone I knew/my family.

It sucked. Drove all the way from California to Virginia with ALL my stuff. Gear, CPU with recording stuff, comic book collection and stamp collection that was given to me, most of my clothes, skateboards, list goes on. Had to fly back and leave it all there.

Your situation might be different, I didn't feel like spilling all my guts about the move, but I'll tell you I wasn't moving for a career.

Even without saying much i can probably fill in at least some of the blanks. I'm honestly half and half as to weather I'm gonna go for it or not. I don't hang out with any of my "friends" where I currently live anymore so It's not like I'll have any fewer people to hang out with, but if I do go for it I have to sign a one year contract and If I just don't like it and decide to quit I can't have my old job back or get unemployment or severance pay, which is totally understandable, but I won't even get a "trial" period to know If I like it or not. I'll basically be signing the next year of my life away completely blind. My boss has given me "30, maybe 60 days at the most" to give him a concrete decision.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

I moved 2000 miles away to attend grad school. So far it's been a great decision. I was two years removed from my B.S. and almost everyone I knew at moved away anyway. For whatever reason the science job market sucked and I couldn't get a job anywhere but local places that paid like crap.

If nothing else it will be an experience! Better not to wonder whether you should've taken it, right?

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Even without saying much i can probably fill in at least some of the blanks. I'm honestly half and half as to weather I'm gonna go for it or not. I don't hang out with any of my "friends" where I currently live anymore so It's not like I'll have any fewer people to hang out with, but if I do go for it I have to sign a one year contract and If I just don't like it and decide to quit I can't have my old job back or get unemployment or severance pay, which is totally understandable, but I won't even get a "trial" period to know If I like it or not. I'll basically be signing the next year of my life away completely blind. My boss has given me "30, maybe 60 days at the most" to give him a concrete decision.

In the grand scheme of things, one year isn't very long. And if you're not really tied to where you are that much except for familiarity, you should definitely go for it IMO. If it really sucks, save as much as you can!

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Flying back from Hawaii today. I get back after 11pm and have to work at 8am on Monday while trying to get used to the +2hr time difference :noplease:

Kobalt

Reaction score
When everything reminds you of the only person you ever wanted in your life...

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
It'll pass (eventually).

When you catch yourself going down that road, step off that train.

Still kinda doing some of that myself.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I posted this in the mad thread but it doesn't fit there, because I wasn't angry, I was just shocked and really sad. This thread is ideal, therefore :lol:

Found out a few days ago that my ex-guitar teacher has quit music after his band split up, and he doesn't even play any more.

This guy was f*cking incredible - absolutely jaw-dropping shred player, one of the best I've ever seen. Ever since I found his playing I was just blown away, inspired and hopelessly intimidated at the same time. I spent months working out one of his solos, recorded a crappy cover and put it on YouTube.

Then I found out he was giving guitar lessons and lived reasonably near, so I emailed him the video and he replied with some really encouraging praise and also some constructive feedback. I started having lessons with him when I was 16 and the more I was taught by him, the better I became in all areas of my playing. I think he made me a far, far better player than I was before, and also got to see him play up close - frightening is the best word :lol: He's such a great guy as well, really cool dude - and a huge inspiration to me, so it's been very difficult news to take. I'll admit, when I found out about this, I'd also just f*cked up an exam so I wasn't feeling great anyway - I was so close to tears. It's a very weird feeling when someone you've looked up to as a master of the instrument you've chosen has lost faith in it sufficiently to leave it behind - like, "if he's given up, what the f*ck am I meant to do?" But if he's happier without it, who am I to say anything. I wish him all the best.

Here he is at 3:15, playing the solo that first blew me away all those years ago...

I mean obviously, his shred chops are beyond belief - incredibly clean picking runs and he could sweep like a man possessed, but he also had possibly the most killer vibrato I've ever heard and absolutely battered the shit out of his strings (and mine, when he played my guitar :lol:), you could tell he meant every note he played, which is IMO what makes a player truly enjoyable to listen to.

You'll be missed, Ben.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
So, I am required to take and pass a 200 level language course. I chose to study Spanish in high school, so of course I picked to continue Spanish in college. I took the online placement test and passed into the 200 level. (So no 100 level for me! Hooray, one less class, means I can save money and time!) However, the instructor of my SPN-201 course (which starts tomorrow) emailed the class an extensive 15-page list of terms that we need to know and said we will be talking in Spanish every day in class.....and I know like.....a small handful of the terms. I am f***ed. I AM F***ED. Pissing money away or drop. :(

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
So, I am required to take and pass a 200 level language course. I chose to study Spanish in high school, so of course I picked to continue Spanish in college. I took the online placement test and passed into the 200 level. (So no 100 level for me! Hooray, one less class, means I can save money and time!) However, the instructor of my SPN-201 course (which starts tomorrow) emailed the class an extensive 15-page list of terms that we need to know and said we will be talking in Spanish every day in class.....and I know like.....a small handful of the terms. I am f***ed. I AM F***ED. Pissing money away or drop. :(
My 300 level spanish course here was all Spanish and no English from day 1. Thought I was ....ed but did surprisingly well

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Also my final semester of college has begun. This is bittersweet but more sad than happy