Why are you sad right now?

• Thread starter Alex Kenivel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I guess it was the difference between "hey, you haven't called me all month" drama and "if you say that again, I'm going to separate your head from your shoulders" kind of drama. The difference between cringe and legitimately fearing someone's going to take a swing at you at any moment.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
My partner has a science class as part of her audiology doctorate program this semester that is really putting her through the ringer (same for the rest of her cohort, to be fair). She didn't think there would be this much math/science involved but this is basically an engineering course for stuff she hasn't done in over a decade.

Me being the loving partner I am (and an engineer) am happy to help her with her homework and studying. What makes me sad is that she is so frustrated and flustered out of the gate and resorts to "I'm stupid, I don't get this, I'm gonna fail this class, I'm never going to understand this," etc. This is all stuff that comes naturally to me, and I'm trying super hard to be patient and explain everything to her, but I'm not the best teacher and it's extra difficult when she is already beating herself up and accepting defeat.

This is going to be a long semester.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Man... that's rough @BlackMastodon . Supporting someone that keeps hitting brick walls takes a lot out of you. You try to help as best as you can but that drains your positive energy and can be super frustrating when they continue to struggle and self-deprecate. I wish you both the fortitude to get thru the semester.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My partner has a science class as part of her audiology doctorate program this semester that is really putting her through the ringer (same for the rest of her cohort, to be fair). She didn't think there would be this much math/science involved but this is basically an engineering course for stuff she hasn't done in over a decade.

Me being the loving partner I am (and an engineer) am happy to help her with her homework and studying. What makes me sad is that she is so frustrated and flustered out of the gate and resorts to "I'm stupid, I don't get this, I'm gonna fail this class, I'm never going to understand this," etc. This is all stuff that comes naturally to me, and I'm trying super hard to be patient and explain everything to her, but I'm not the best teacher and it's extra difficult when she is already beating herself up and accepting defeat.

This is going to be a long semester.

TIL BlackMastodon is actually Will Hunting, and his partner is Stellan Skarsgard trying to get what he already does

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
TIL BlackMastodon is actually Will Hunting, and his partner is Stellan Skarsgard trying to get what he already does
Feels more like this than Good Will Hunting:

We just called it a night on this week's assignment and it really doesn't help that the profs notes seem to be all over the place and the questions are worded poorly, so it adds to the confusion.

Reactions: MFB

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Boy howdy did therapy ever get expensive since the last time I went in 2018. I'm also 99% sure my company benefits haven't caught up either but am waiting to for HR to get back to me to deliver the good news.

Guess you can put a price on your mental health, eh?

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I've been doing multiple tests last few weeks and there's a really high chance i might be autistic.

I've been going to therapy for months but my psychologist is on the analytical side and doesnt give tests (or believe in them? Idk); so for and actual diagnosis I have to go to someone specialized in adult autism.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Sad/Fearful/Mad, a whole salad of emotions today. Wife took 1 of our 2 cats in to the vet for senior bloodwork and the protein spike levels coupled with something else is indicative of lymphoma or multiple myeloma. Nice kick right in the fucking sack that I wasn't prepared for whatsoever.

Go hug and feed your pets extra treats, people.

TheDandy

Reaction score
I've been doing multiple tests last few weeks and there's a really high chance i might be autistic.

I've been going to therapy for months but my psychologist is on the analytical side and doesnt give tests (or believe in them? Idk); so for and actual diagnosis I have to go to someone specialized in adult autism.
Going through the exact same thing. It's a little liberating to have an answer to so many questions I've had about myself, but it's a lot to take in. Official assessment is expensive enough that I don't think I'll bother, just going to vibe under the assumption. Is it relieving at all to have some degree of answer even if it's not officially diagnosed?

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Going through the exact same thing. It's a little liberating to have an answer to so many questions I've had about myself, but it's a lot to take in. Official assessment is expensive enough that I don't think I'll bother, just going to vibe under the assumption. Is it relieving at all to have some degree of answer even if it's not officially diagnosed?
It answers a lot of questions and opens some others.

I'll probably go for an official diagnosis not just for a paper but at least for some insight on what to focus on therapy and how to deal with some stuff.

The tests I've done so far are RAADS and CAT-Q but from what I know the actual diagnosis includes also other stuff and can be very long.

TheDandy

Reaction score
It answers a lot of questions and opens some others.

I'll probably go for an official diagnosis not just for a paper but at least for some insight on what to focus on therapy and how to deal with some stuff.

The tests I've done so far are RAADS and CAT-Q but from what I know the actual diagnosis includes also other stuff and can be very long.
Totally makes sense, sounds like you've got a good plan. Best of luck navigating it!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Been getting some mild headaches the past few days, sometimes while gaming - more often than not - and other times just, while existing basically; and I've gotten them before, although again, usually while gaming and thinking back - 90% of what I play these days is just, From Soft games and I know they have a tendency to frustrate, even if you know the game and where to expect what. Like, for me, I absolutely adore Sekiro as much as it straight up infuriates me, but as a whole it's probably From Soft's pinnacle for me; BUT I know when I launch it and first see it boot up, I can already feel a signal fire off and get me right in the side of the head as if my brain itself is saying, "hey dumbfuck, what are you thinking? Do you not remember what's happened every other time you played this?"

But it's like, gaming has become so homogenized these past few years, that there's really fuckall that's appealing out there. It seems like single players are now either a FS-like game where you can collect whatever you lose on death but only if you get back there and grab them or kill the enemy that killed you, enemies re-spawn on rest, levels cost more as you progress through the game, etc and if they're not that, then it's an over-the-shoulder GOW/LOU-style action game, or rogue-likes! Can't have enough rogue-likes in the game store! And every one of them is some fucking pixel/"indie" art style that has been beaten to death since after the first handful came out, now they're not allowed to be anything but that I guess? FPS also seem basically dead, if it's not a COD or FarCry, it might as well be dead on arrival. The best one still seems to be DOOM 2016 and that's obviously going on 8-years old at this point.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^I get this feeling. If I want to get high blood pressure tunnel-vision while sitting in front of my computer, I'll log into work, thankyouverymuch.

There was a time when gaming was one of the few diversions that would make the 'dogs stop barking', so to speak. More and more often, though, the frustration from challenges in games start to resemble the real-world frustration of being a shitty guitar player or trying to maintain my lawn.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Expectations have this weird escalation routine.

Expectation on me = expect it to increase at an every increasing rate.

Expectations I can place on others = expect this to decrease at an ever increasing rate.

Any attempt to break these rules will result in compliance issues. Compliance issues being anything from a trip to HR to hands around the throat.

Wouldn't mind feeling like I'm not going it completely alone. Just, ya know, every once in a great while.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Expectations have this weird escalation routine.

Expectation on me = expect it to increase at an every increasing rate.

Expectations I can place on others = expect this to decrease at an ever increasing rate.

Any attempt to break these rules will result in compliance issues. Compliance issues being anything from a trip to HR to hands around the throat.

Wouldn't mind feeling like I'm not going it completely alone. Just, ya know, every once in a great while.
I feel like this structure is true of so many different facets of life... it's just that the meaning of "compliance issue" and the identity of "HR" changes.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
There was a school shooting this morning just 6 miles from my place. A 13 year old shot one of his peers dead and critically injured another two. What a sick world. :(
Just be glad you're not here in the US. I honestly can't even keep track anymore. I think the latest was a couple days ago... seven shot. No one killed fortunately, but in that particular city this is I think the 3rd straight weekend. I dunno... it's depressing.

Sorry to hear, @Kaura

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
The lead singer of Firehouse died after a battle with cancer.

I don’t care what anyone says this was a banger back in the day…