Why are you sad right now?

• Thread starter Alex Kenivel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I've had tinnitus since I was 13-14. I've always worn protection, and I can pinpoint the exact moment I got it. It was at band practice for my first band, a dude hit the crash cymbal, full power, right next to my ear when I had just removed my plugs. And that was it, constant whining in the ears since then.

But IMHO it's not as bad as people say. You get used to it, and actually it only bothers me when I'm in a really quiet place. It gets louder when I have a fever or am otherwise sick, and it also gets louder if my blood pressure increases (aka. when I drink too much coffee or generally stress out over something). My hearing is still 100% perfect though, I just hear the constant whining sound all the time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I've had tinnitus since I was 13-14. I've always worn protection, and I can pinpoint the exact moment I got it. It was at band practice for my first band, a dude hit the crash cymbal, full power, right next to my ear when I had just removed my plugs. And that was it, constant whining in the ears since then.

But IMHO it's not as bad as people say. You get used to it, and actually it only bothers me when I'm in a really quiet place. It gets louder when I have a fever or am otherwise sick, and it also gets louder if my blood pressure increases (aka. when I drink too much coffee or generally stress out over something). My hearing is still 100% perfect though, I just hear the constant whining sound all the time.
Interesting. Mine goes silent when I have a fever. Wish it was like you say that I'll just get used to it and do my things as usual. But it doesn't seem to be going that way.
How do you go about loud noise and daily life? Do you just use earplugs for really loud events? How about headphone use?
Mine has been going for 7 months and like I said in the previous page I was playing videogames for 2 days with my headphones and now I have a new sound which is louder. I was careful with the volume too.
I had an audiogram done which shows my hearing is perfect too. So why am I getting worse?
I'm just stuck now in this state too scared to do anything because I don't know what's safe anymore. My whole recording & mixing technique is basically using expensive headphones. I have monitors too but untreated room so I don't mix on them, just use them to check if it sounds good. Dunno how can I keep making music?

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine goes silent when I have a fever. Wish it was like you say that I'll just get used to it and do my things as usual. But it doesn't seem to be going that way.
How do you go about loud noise and daily life? Do you just use earplugs for really loud events? How about headphone use?
Mine has been going for 7 months and like I said in the previous page I was playing videogames for 2 days with my headphones and now I have a new sound which is louder. I was careful with the volume too.
I had an audiogram done which shows my hearing is perfect too. So why am I getting worse?
I'm just stuck now in this state too scared to do anything because I don't know what's safe anymore. My whole recording & mixing technique is basically using expensive headphones. I have monitors too but untreated room so I don't mix on them, just use them to check if it sounds good. Dunno how can I keep making music?

I don't worry about loud noises any more than I did before my ears started ringing, and I only wear earplugs when I go to see bands and stuff like that. And I don't have any problem with headphones.

Sometimes when I've been to a show and forgotten my plugs, the ringing might be considerably louder than usual for a while, but it usually goes back to normal within a few hours.

But yeah, either way, I don't let it control my life in any way, and most of the time I don't even remember I have it.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
I tested positive for Covid today. And I feel like shit.
Caught it 11 month ago to the day. Still feels like ass. My heart has not recovered from it and each physical effort feels like getting stabbed.
Hope it goes out for you better than it did for me.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
Caught it 11 month ago to the day. Still feels like ass. My heart has not recovered from it and each physical effort feels like getting stabbed.
Hope it goes out for you better than it did for me.
This is the third time I've had it. Last time was Decamber of 2020.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't worry about loud noises any more than I did before my ears started ringing, and I only wear earplugs when I go to see bands and stuff like that. And I don't have any problem with headphones.

Sometimes when I've been to a show and forgotten my plugs, the ringing might be considerably louder than usual for a while, but it usually goes back to normal within a few hours.

But yeah, either way, I don't let it control my life in any way, and most of the time I don't even remember I have it.
You also gotta remember there are different forms of tinnitus, and some are more manageable than others, with or without treatment or aids.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I only notice my tinnitus when people fuckin' talk about it. Thanks mates. :lol:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
You also gotta remember there are different forms of tinnitus, and some are more manageable than others, with or without treatment or aids.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But either way, I'd say the trick is to just learn to live with it and try not think about it too much.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But either way, I'd say the trick is to just learn to live with it and try not think about it too much.
I was getting there with my first two sounds. But it's hard to get used to it when you're getting new and louder sounds added to the mix. It's more unpredictable like that.
Idk sorry if it's bothering anyone me complaining about this here, but it is the sad thread and this is what has been bothering me for the last few months.
I'd join a tinnitus forum but first: they won't let me join, and second: maybe that's for the better. It's a scary and miserable place and it's not like I'll find any help there either. I guess it's easier to talk about this here since we're all musicians and there's a better understanding of how important this is and that quitting is not really an option.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I was getting there with my first two sounds. But it's hard to get used to it when you're getting new and louder sounds added to the mix. It's more unpredictable like that.
Idk sorry if it's bothering anyone me complaining about this here, but it is the sad thread and this is what has been bothering me for the last few months.
I'd join a tinnitus forum but first: they won't let me join, and second: maybe that's for the better. It's a scary and miserable place and it's not like I'll find any help there either. I guess it's easier to talk about this here since we're all musicians and there's a better understanding of how important this is and that quitting is not really an option.
I apologize, me mentioning it above was made in jest, that's exactly what this forum is for, please vent away.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

Don't sweat it man, it's a completely legit reason to be sad and complain. Besides, this is an excellent place to open up about stuff because we're all somewhat likeminded, but you don't know anyone personally, so it doesn't get awkward that way.

Anyway, hope you can find a way to live with it! And my best suggestion for that is just to try not to think about it. Staying healthy in general helps too.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Finally got to see Whiplash, after a day where I had the guitars cranked to hell.

I'm a music bro, and have been my whole life, so during that section where they go slo-mo and he's really feeling the song and the band disappears and all that, my wife pops off a big rant about how she doesn't get it.

I said I sorta get what they're going for. When you're really feeling it, everything else just disappears and you lock in and that's all that you are.

She says, angrily, and I quote, "BUT WHY THE FUCK MAKE EVERYONE ELSE SIT THROUGH IT?"

Which sent me right to sadsville. And contemplating selling off the loud gear.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^Maybe she didn't mean it like that...

My wife is herself a musician and always talks about how much she loves music while simultaneously giving absolutely zero fucks about my music. I guess I just try to find in that the conviction that I need to work harder.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
She says, angrily, and I quote, "BUT WHY THE FUCK MAKE EVERYONE ELSE SIT THROUGH IT?"
I don't understand.... she's mad that a movie portrayed a metaphor for zoning in on what you're doing and tuning other things out? Why is that something to be mad about?

Why sit through a movie at all if you don't want to see another person's perspective or narrative or metaphors or whatever else?

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I don't understand.... she's mad that a movie portrayed a metaphor for zoning in on what you're doing and tuning other things out? Why is that something to be mad about?

Why sit through a movie at all if you don't want to see another person's perspective or narrative or metaphors or whatever else?
I think it was one of those unintentional slips. She says she doesn't care that I play loud from time to time, but I'm thinking it was too much music in one day for her and that was her moment to rant about it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Ah, I read it the wrong way I guess. I took it as "why would they put this in the movie", rather now it reads like "I don't want to sit through other people enjoying music that I don't care about". Which.... yeah, that would make me sad too. And has made me sad before.

I once was dating a lady who I had to twist her arm to come out to see shows. We'd get off stage, go home later, and I'd want to just pass out and she would get mad at me for not doing "my part" of the deal - admitting blatantly that she didn't want to see us play music, she just did it so I'd take her home later. We didn't last long.

In contrast to that, more recently, I was visiting a friend who was doing some piano lessons and ran through the lessons/exercises while I was there. I got the whole "sorry, this is gonna be rough and probably really repetitive", but honestly I thought it was great. I had to actively stop myself from just hovering awkwardly. I grabbed a book, was like having a private piano concert to accompany the reading. I'd pay money for that. Inject that shit right into my veins.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Ah, I read it the wrong way I guess. I took it as "why would they put this in the movie", rather now it reads like "I don't want to sit through other people enjoying music that I don't care about". Which.... yeah, that would make me sad too. And has made me sad before.

I once was dating a lady who I had to twist her arm to come out to see shows. We'd get off stage, go home later, and I'd want to just pass out and she would get mad at me for not doing "my part" of the deal - admitting blatantly that she didn't want to see us play music, she just did it so I'd take her home later. We didn't last long.

In contrast to that, more recently, I was visiting a friend who was doing some piano lessons and ran through the lessons/exercises while I was there. I got the whole "sorry, this is gonna be rough and probably really repetitive", but honestly I thought it was great. I had to actively stop myself from just hovering awkwardly. I grabbed a book, was like having a private piano concert to accompany the reading. I'd pay money for that. Inject that shit right into my veins.
You read me, then. I get sad when people can't appreciate any form of music, whether it's "mine" or not. I used to go to bluegrass and barbershop quartet concerts with my gramps and loved every second of it. Live music is live music. Unless it's mostly recorded. Some of grandma's churchy concerts were cringe city. A dude with a guitar and a girl with a tambourine and a whole "BAND" screaming through the PA? GTFO!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Live music is live music
I try to keep that attitude now. When I was younger, I got dragged out to some country fair kind of deals and hated it. Shania Twain tribute acts were just a bridge too far for 16 year old me to handle when I wasn't given the option. But I'm not a grouchy 16 year old anymore and can appreciate that even music I don't like can be appreciated for the performance.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I try to keep that attitude now. When I was younger, I got dragged out to some country fair kind of deals and hated it. Shania Twain tribute acts were just a bridge too far for 16 year old me to handle when I wasn't given the option. But I'm not a grouchy 16 year old anymore and can appreciate that even music I don't like can be appreciated for the performance.
I got drug to a lot of country, but gramps wasn't much into the pop-country stuff. It was mostly legit players, so I almost always found myself mesmerized by it. There was a dude that played a fiddle that covered Devil went down to Georgia that I swear played it faster and tighter than I've ever heard anybody else ever play it, and it was in a god damned beer tent at the fair in a town of under 10k people. The fact it's stuck with me almost thirty years says something about that performance.

Latest posts