Why did you get an 8+ string?

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
Did you get it because of djent, or because you wanted to have a little fun? I thought it woild eb cool to have a thread like this.

Ill start, i got.mine because i was into mesuggah, and i happened upon a man on the youtubes who helped me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I got mine for the same reason I got my 7 string, more range to experiment with. I use a lot of different approaches to it, sometimes I think of it as a completely separate instrument to my other guitars, other times I think of it like a 7 string with a little more lower range if I need it.

Insightibanez

Red Five Standing By
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to start playing Deftone songs and because I had my tax money burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
To quote myself in my NGD thread:

"When I first found out that 7 string guitars were a thing I knew I had to have one. Then I heard Meshuggah had gotten someone to make them an 8 string and I thought "why get 7 when I can get 8?""

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
moar-because.jpg

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
I got mine because Carvin's seven strings only come in 25.5" scale and the DC800 are in 27" and 27" is my favorite scale length, so I said "eff it" and went for the DC800. I play it tuned as a seven though and plan on getting a Carvin DC727 when they come out in 27" scale. I love my DC800 though.

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
This site... seriously just being a member here increases GAS by about 1000%.

I don't have an 8 yet but I do have a Boden 8 on order. :yesway:

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I got mine because Carvin's seven strings only come in 25.5" scale and the DC800 are in 27" and 27" is my favorite scale length, so I said "eff it" and went for the DC800. I play it tuned as a seven though and plan on getting a Carvin DC727 when they come out in 27" scale. I love my DC800 though.

Are you using an extra high string?

otisct20

Reaction score
I dont own one but have three sevens and play my friends eight string all the time. I first got into them because of djent and into sevens because of deathcore, but as I keep getting better I really like having the full range, although I suck at leads I like having the option. That and seven and eight string guitars just feel better in my hands :lol:

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
Are you using an extra high string?

You're gonna laugh at me when I tell you this. :lol:

I currently still have the extra high string on, but it gets in the way when I'm running lead lines along the high e and other random stuff involving the high e, so... I plan on taking it off and just playing my DC800 with 7 strings :ugh: haha

Kinda retarded, but I love this guitar as a seven. Even the pickups are amazing. Almost amazing enough to make me reconsider the project I have in the works for it. Almost... But, but not quite.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Those guitars are amazing. I tried one a couple months back at the Carvin store. What ever works for YOU bro, who cares what anyone else things. What gauge did you use for the extra high string? I wouldn't mind trying that someday.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
Those guitars are amazing. I tried one a couple months back at the Carvin store. What ever works for YOU bro, who cares what anyone else things. What gauge did you use for the extra high string? I wouldn't mind trying that someday.

Hell yeah, man. I can dig that. I was recommended a 7 or 8 for the high a(or whatever the corresponding note would be for your chosen tuning) but it currently has a 10 tuned to b as I never use that string.

Oh, hell no, my n*gga. :lol:

I was just gonna switch out the actives for white passives and add a white pearl pickguard for a strat-vibe. haha

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/229012-dc800-owners.html#post3429457

mike90t09

Reaction score
I got mine because I was originally going to get a seven but at the time the other guitarist in the project I was in already had an 8 and was like screw it dude we will do a duel 8 string thing lol

stuglue

Reaction score
I was curious when I first heard about production 8 string guitars. I expected them to be tuned like a standard 7 string but with an extra high A string so I was shocked when I saw a few videos on YouTube showing that the8th string was below the B note. This put me off as the videos I saw didn't impress me at all.
Having bought one I put a .007 on and tuned to high Ab