Why did you get an 8+ string?

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
My first 8 string (DC800) should be here Wednesday. Like a lot of people Animals As Leaders was the band that first got me interested in buying an 8 string. This coming fall semester I'll be playing a few AAL tunes at school. That's not the only reason though. I like layering sounds with a loop pedal, so having the extended range is great for that. Plus you have some new and interesting chord voicings to try.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
Became involved in a project last year, and I thought
that having an 8-string would be just one more
color on the palette.
I've had a Universe since '97, but have really enjoyed
what options having the 8 offers up.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
For me, pure curiosity. Having been a 7-string player for years, I wanted to see what type of music I could write using one.

Dayn

Reaction score
I wanted a seven-string for Dream Theater and Meshuggah. Then when Ibanez released the RG2228, I knew I had to have it.

So in late 2009, I did as a 21st birthday present.

I haven't played a Meshuggah song in ages, though I still remember how to play almost everything, at least. Most of the stuff I play on it is clean.

Louie Bloodspill

Reaction score
About 10-12 years ago, the bass player in my band filled in for a gig with Postman Syndrome when Brett had hurt himself skateboarding. In order to do so he borrowed a five string bass for a while. When I saw how the low B string could be used to play more notes without having to ascend or descend the neck as much, I knew I had to have a seven string. Never did around to getting one though.
This summer I finally had the financial ability to pick one up, and went to Guitar Center to try a few out and get a feel for it. While there I saw some 8-string Schecters and picked one up to see how it felt and fell in love. A few months later I ordered the ATX C8 without ever having heard anybody play an 8 string guitar. Love at first feel indeed.

theleem

Reaction score
Wanted a 7, then after hearing some Meshuggah/AAL I wanted a 7 and an 8, so I just went for the 8 and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Got a 7 because I was playing a lot of stuff tuned down in B or C, attempting to play some 7 string DT material, and also playing lots in standard E. Tuning back and forth was annoying, and I was joining a band in E at the time so I grabbed a 7321.
Found this forum and fell in love with AAL and lower tunings, especially on clean. I had to have an 8..Then I heard of tuning with high strings like Scale The Summit and tried it. It was great fun and I couldn't chose between the two, so had to have a 9 :D
It just made sense to me to have as many notes available as possible. The things you can do are endless. 9 was the limit for me as it was as low as I felt use for and as wide a range as I think can be perfect tonally on one instrument without 6" or more.

Arcanerain

Reaction score
The flat back of the necks, the extra notes and the really heavy sounds they give off. I didn't find 6-string challenging enough so I started looking into 7-strings then I found out that 8-string guitars existed so I eventually got round to buying a schecter. I bought an rga8 last week and apart from the intonation problems on the first three frets of the low E string I really like the way it feels.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Cuz everyone else did. I then proceeded to follow them in jumping off a cliff.

Serious answer: I watched a video where Tosin explained why he likes drop E and it made sense to me.

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
My first guitar was an 8 string. Just because 6 string necks were too skinny for me to feel comfortable...

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
The 8-string just sounded like the thing to go for. I wanted to expand my tonal reach and 8-strings were a big enough jump without getting too far ahead of myself.

Devogaliano

Reaction score
My bass player moved away, so instead of filling his place with a new person, we. just started playing ERG's to compensate.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I'd been into Meshuggah for years, so I'd been familiar with 8-strings and dug the sound of them, but I was mainly into 7's or baritones until I heard the lower tunings used in a more melodic context, like with Deftones or Mnemic. Then I began to get more into 8's and took the plunge and got myself an RG8, and I love it so far!

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
besides djent being the stupidest word ever attributed to metal guitar (a word created by a non native English speaker, spelled incorrectly, like wtf is the d silent? djent lol...should be jent if that, but whatever, stupid word), I got my 8 string cuz I had a 7 string and wanted to see what all the buzz was about....so I got a schecter Damien elite 8 for a couple hundred, then I found an rg2228 that week for 700, sold my Damien for 450, bought the rg2228 cuz its the best 8 string there is and then I would have nothing to see more about cuz the Damien left me wondering if there was any value to the 8+ string territory, and then got all the active pickups available to find a good tone plus the RPC mod, which everyone with actives should look into.

verdict = 6 strings are my favorite, 7's are cool, 8's are interesting but unnecessary (its basically a 4 string bass slapped onto a guitar neck), and anything 9+ is overkill...so having a bunch of 6's and 7's and two 8's, I can say I will never go to 9 or more, and if I didn't pay so little for my rg2228 (or EMG sending me a custom 81/85 set) then I wouldn't bother with more than 7...8 should be the limit, especially if ur going lower than higher, a 9 string with a low c# or worse, a 10+ string with anything lower, is not a guitar, its a guitar+bass hybrid...

PS For clarification, 8 string neck is very wide, a 7 is not, so the transition from 6 to 7 made the extra string a novelty, but an 8 string is quite a bit of wood to work with, so for playability, a 9+ string would be uncomfortable besides more width the longer scale cuz 27" just cuts it for the 8, so a 9 would need at least 28"+, specficially in the first position (1-4 frets), so I wont even attempt the 9+, even tho if Ibanez makes an rg2229, I might be tempted....I hope they don't lol