Why is Ibanez putting the DiMarzio PAF 7 in their 7 string prestige RGs?

• Thread starter Matt08642
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I got an RG752FX earlier this year, and was kind of underwhelmed by the pickups, felt they completely lacked punch and clarity. Replaced the bridge with a Crunch Lab 7 last night and it's like a totally new guitar.

What's their reasoning for PAF 7s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I can understand the tone zone/air norton combo in most of their 6s but I really don't like Paf 7s. If they made Paf Pro 7s it would be an improvement but a crunch lab/Liquifire set would be much better suited for most players buying 7s.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
^ those are not Paf Pro 7s?! ...Paf 7s?! What's the 6 string equivalent of that?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^ those are not Paf Pro 7s?! ...Paf 7s?! What's the 6 string equivalent of that?

It's SUPPOSED to be the old Virtual PAF/current 36th Anniversary, but it has a ceramic magnet, which makes things sound quite a bit different.

DiMarzio isn't good with making their 6-string and 7-string pickups sound similar, though.

PBGas

Reaction score
I like the Paf 7 in the neck of my 3727Z but yes...in the bridge, not my favorite.

jarledge

Reaction score
i played a couple of j custom 7 strings with pafs and actually really liked them. The korn model comes with pafs too and I liked it.

They are well balanced, clear and sort of a blank slate. They don't have a huge defining eq curve/bump like the tone zone 7 or some other 7 strings pickups. I like the tone zone but it always sounds like a tone zone regardless of how you set your amp.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I like the PAF7. Nice "chime" in the neck, but I can see not liking it if you want a darker sound from the neck. In the bridge, I think that PAF7 can sound pretty vicious. You have to get your gain somewhere else, but gunned up through an OD808 into a Triple Recto, I thought it sounded monstrous.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
The PAF bridge is really boomy. It does sound nice split. I can see using them for more classic rock..but with a 7? :scratch:

They came in my SIR, but have since been replaced with Ionizer 7s.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Probably because they can buy a ....ton of them for cheap.

Also consider that, in this case, the Liquifire/Crunchlab combo are a signature series, so not only companies will have to pay for Petrucci's name, but also nulls them from showing up in any production model outside Petrucci's siganture guitar line.

Jazzhands is right. Pretty much every Dimarzio 7 pickup is ceramic magnet, hence why a lot of the 7 string counterparts of their 6s never sound alike. This is why the Tone Zone 7 sounds nowhere near as good as the 6 string version. The PAF7s also suffer the same dilemma but it's actually one of the better Dimarzio 7 pickups that come stock. Of course they're not for everyone, particularly players who want higher output.

Also, FWIW, I can't stand the Crunchlab. :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
As far as I know only artists who have a LACS endorsement can get Paf Pro 7s.

Nope. Paf Pro 7s don't exist... unless you can give me an example, I'm curious myself.

And Ibanez endorsers with LACS access won't have access to custom Dimarzios unless they endorse Dimarzios as well. In which case they'd be custom orders for the artist, which is usually the case. I'd imagine them asking for 7 string pickups similarily voiced as the PAF Pro, if that's what you mean.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
The PAF bridge is really boomy. It does sound nice split. I can see using them for more classic rock..but with a 7? :scratch:

They came in my SIR, but have since been replaced with Ionizer 7s.

I currently have a Paf7 in my Custom 7 String Strat (neck and bridge) and like Cardinal said, it really can be a great pickup for metal if you give it some love.

I would stick with it for sure if I didn't want something with more output that sounds dirty thick for sludge. IMO its a very solid all rounder if you compensate for its low output.

TommyG

Tommy G
Reaction score
I have PAF7's in my RG-7321 and I really like them.
They don't have a ton of Pizazz but they are even balanced and the ceramic magnet is good for a 7 string guitar with lower tunings.
I thought they were very capable of a modern metal tone.

You can hear it on the soundcloud link in my signature.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I read that on here but I'm not sure how true it is. An artist said their LACS had Paf Pro 7s or you could get a set if they swapped them out.

Edit: Last post
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...al-tech/201826-paf-pro-7s-blaze-possibly.html

That thread, especially Drew's post only proves my point further.

The previous owners of said LACS would have had Dimarzio endorsements, hence custom voiced Dimarzios. And when they jump ship, they offload said LACS, as Drew said.

Dimarzio do custom voiced pickups for their artists all the time. EG: Joe Satriani (and I should have known this earlier) would be an example of owning custom PAF7s voiced like PAF Pros (or possible prototypes of PAF7s) in his custom Ibanez JS7s. I'm unsure if their custom shop is open to the public, but said custom pickups aren't available commercially unless they're sold exclusively on a signature model, i.e Herman Li's Egen series.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
A Dimarzio rep claimed that the Ionizer is close to a PAF Pro 7, which makes sense based on the specs.

Itchyman

Reaction score
Have a V7 instead you whiny person. Also, a RG752FX is barely a prestige (I mean it has a gibraltar bridge). You get what you pay for.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Have a V7 instead you whiny person. Also, a RG752FX is barely a prestige (I mean it has a gibraltar bridge). You get what you pay for.

How is a RG752FX barely a prestige? What does the gibraltar bridge have to do with anything in this thread, and what on earth makes you think the Gibraltar bridge signifies lower quality? Some of the more expensive Prestige models utilize this bridge, not to mention, I've seen numerous Ibanez LA Custom Shop guitars feature this bridge.

jvms

Reaction score

What the guy above said. The RG752FX is exactly the RG15271 with different paint, better pickups and a different bridge. The Gibraltar is great, lots of Prestige and LACS have them. I can't think of a reason it would be "barely" a prestige. It is a Prestige and a great one.