Why the hell did I ever buy a tube amp?

• Thread starter powerbert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xAGx

Reaction score
I'm lost. If you have to tap dance using a 6505+ that has an effects loop foot switch you must be using alot of sounds lol. I use an EQ and digital delay in my loop. My IRT60 has reverb built in so it has its own footswitch.

With the 6505+ I literally have the EQ as a volume and lead boost with the delay and EQ always on and just hit the effects loop switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
- Peavey 6505+: $900
- Boss Overdrive: $50
- Decimator 2: $130
- Reverb pedal: $75
- Pedaltrain: $100
- Power Supply: $30
- Loadbox, Cab Sim and Headphone amp: $400
- Cables: $30
- Tap dancing instead of playing songs properly: priceless

Sorry, just venting. So glad I still have access to technology that's 50 years old.

I dabbled with axe fx for a while thinking it was going to save a whole bunch of time and effort and found the opposite .I spent more time making and tweaking presets than I did playing . it had benefits sure ,but end of the day I just went back to my recto and pedals that have knobs that I can easily tweak while playing . tweaking anything on the fly with the axe fx was a total drama .I'll take tap dancing any day over that

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but I'm still not sure how you're not able to hear yourself with a 6505+ and a cab? What cab are you using and how far away are you able to get from it on stage? I'm 6'4" so I get having 90% of your sound hitting you in the knees or butt...lol. So I always try and get my amp as far back on the stage as I can so I can catch the sweet spot of my cab. Worst case scenario, I can bend down into the cab's beam.

I'd definitely focus on sorting out a balanced live sound that you can hear with the drummer and other guitar player before adding more complicated set-up items. Because the rules of playing live in an independent metal band seem to be:

No sound check
PA for vocals only
Monitors? What are those?
Whadaya mean you have a sampler?
WTF is "running direct"?
Oh yeah we have monitors, how about we put everything but what you need through them?
We're running late, you have 5 min to setup before having to cut your set time
You can plug in over there, it's only 30 feet from the stage and we're running the PA off of it
I'm in the next band, let me start setting up my gear as your last note rings out.

As far as tap-dancing, some sort of pedal switcher would give you one button switching that changes lots of things at once. There's the Boss unit, a few Voodoo Lab floor units, and rack mount options. If you stick with the in-ears and load box, a small rack with something like the Voodoo Lab GCX and a pedal tray would let you program patches with pedals and amp switching. Of course then you'd have to add the cost of a midi controller to your list.

In my band's history, I went from a head/cab + 2 space rack (fx processor in loop) to head/cab + 4 space rack (a few pedals in a switcher in the front and processor in loop) to Axe FX 2 + powered monitor to currently, Axe FX 2 + Matrix Power Amp + cab.

Never had an issue with the head/cab set-ups, Axe FX 2 + powered monitor shows ranged from fine to disaster, and while I haven't played a show with the current rig, it's crushing in practice. I've stuck with the Axe FX 2 mostly because I wanted to shrink my rig a bit. It sounds almost identical to my Dual Recto + rack rig, but it's less (and lighter) to carry.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys know this was from last July ya?

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I'm going back to real amps from the digital world, where touring permits me to bring my big rig. Why? Because it just sounds better. And if you have a decent looper like a gigrig or RJM PBC the tapdance is over.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going back to real amps from the digital world, where touring permits me to bring my big rig. Why? Because it just sounds better. And if you have a decent looper like a gigrig or RJM PBC the tapdance is over.

If you use pedals, you probably have digital processing in front of solid state or tube amps (digital is also a "real amp" but we all know what you mean :lol:).

Yes I'm just being pedantic and was fully aware of what you mean :yesway: