Worst guitar brand names

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I thought E-II was cheaper than the ESP-branded guitars while still more expensive than LTD, is it not?
It is, but adding a middle step makes the jump from LTD to ESP seem less extreme, so it could allow them to bump up the ESP price.

Like from $800 to $3000 is a big jump.

But $800, to $2,200 to $3500 seems somehow more reasonable/palatable.

asopala

Reaction score
I do not understand why an extension of the 二 is needed. Actually I am wondering why not using 何々ネス

Like in formal sentences : « です ».
We do not hear the same
Not sure why they spelled it with "ni" instead of "ne", but it's a vowel with a bit of a longer length, so that might have had to do with extending the vowel. Just me saying it now I'm noticing I don't cut off the vowel of the last syllable as quickly as the first two. So maybe that's why. But I'm also not fluent in Japanese either (I can order food and ask for directions, that's it).

asopala

Reaction score
I remember the forum debating this a lot back in the day. It's really a just a product marketing choice.

For example, everything in the Jackson line is a Jackson, from $400 to $4000. I actually like that because it means everyone can have a Jackson regardless of price.

ESP chose to create different brands based on the tier. For simplicity, LTD, E-II, ESP. I believe the mentality is that you don't want an expensive ESP to be confused for a LTD. (for those that remember, they introduced the LTD Elite for one year as ESP Standards transitioned to E-II...that was definitely confusing :lol: )

Every business makes their choices. As I said, I prefer the Jackson approach :2c:
Fair enough, and Schecter kind of does the same thing, where everything from the cheapest guitars to the expensive USA custom guitars and everything in between are all Schecter. But they also separate the import models from the USA custom shop in their marketing as two separate things, which makes sense to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Solar Guitars...that are not solar powered. What's next AI Thumb Detectors, but it's just a hammer?
Didn't someone say that "Solar" was named after his father or something (Ola Sr)? I'm not sure if he is a junior, but I thought I had read that somewhere?

Metal-Box

Proud Gear Curator
Reaction score
I thought E-II was cheaper than the ESP-branded guitars while still more expensive than LTD, is it not?
E-II was created to replace the ESP Standard Series. ESP rebranded the Standard Series in 2013 by calling them (a slightly less ridiculous) LTD Elite but subsequently rebranding AGAIN in 2014-ish to E-II.

asopala

Reaction score
E-II was created to replace the ESP Standard Series. ESP rebranded the Standard Series in 2013 by calling them (a slightly less ridiculous) LTD Elite but subsequently rebranding AGAIN in 2014-ish to E-II.
So then what are the ESP Original Series and ESP USA doing that cost $5k to $7k? Those seem like they haven't changed, and that's what I remember from the ESP Standard Series, albeit a decade ago.

Metal-Box

Proud Gear Curator
Reaction score
So then what are the ESP Original Series and ESP USA doing that cost $5k to $7k? Those seem like they haven't changed, and that's what I remember from the ESP Standard Series, albeit a decade ago.
Your guess is as good as mine. The USA line is/was a quasi custom shop. The Original Series seemed to be more or less tacking a couple thousand bucks for the ESP logo.

I also seem to remember the Signature Series jumping in price too for no particular reason as well. I think they said all sigs were going to be made in the Custom Shop from that point forward.

I’ve always had a love/hate attitude toward them. I have quite a few of their guitars. They frustrate me with their games.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Guyno Guitars. https://www.facebook.com/guynocustomguitars/

I know Gino Guitars is probably pronounced with the G like in GIF, but after seeing the above brand name, I can't help but pronounce it with the G like in GIF.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
RE: ESP

Many moons ago everything ESP was just labeled "ESP" (unless it said "Kramer" or "Pensa" but that's another tangent) but over time as the brand became more popular and different series targeting different budgets were offered it became increasingly confusing. You had mid market 400 series stuff, and then "Custom" and then actual customs all at wildly different price points and unless you studied the catalogs religiously you had no idea what you were getting. This was before the internet by the way.

When they started offering Korean stuff they finally branched off LTD, and then a couple of decades later they branched off the ESP Standard line.

Again, it's mostly because explaining the difference between all the stuff that has "ESP" on the headstock became somewhat clunky.

Folks still have a hard time differentiating between Standard, Original, Custom, etc.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
RE: ESP

Many moons ago everything ESP was just labeled "ESP" (unless it said "Kramer" or "Pensa" but that's another tangent) but over time as the brand became more popular and different series targeting different budgets were offered it became increasingly confusing. You had mid market 400 series stuff, and then "Custom" and then actual customs all at wildly different price points and unless you studied the catalogs religiously you had no idea what you were getting. This was before the internet by the way.

When they started offering Korean stuff they finally branched off LTD, and then a couple of decades later they branched off the ESP Standard line.

Again, it's mostly because explaining the difference between all the stuff that has "ESP" on the headstock became somewhat clunky.

Folks still have a hard time differentiating between Standard, Original, Custom, etc.

Folks still have trouble differentiating between ESP and LTD. If I had a dollar for every time I had some extra spending money and went to check out some ESPs on Reverb...

I'm not knocking LTD, I've had my share few and they're great guitars for the money, but your EC401 is not a fucking ESP. On one hand, I searched ESP because I wanted to buy an ESP, so I don't want LTDs to pop up, on the other, calling it an ESP LTD gives me the same vibe as when I started playing guitar and thought I had a Gibson Epiphone, so even if I was in the market for an LTD, that gives me guitar noob vibes and I'm going to assume you've abused the everloving shit out of that guitar.

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
Not a brand of guitars but I always thought "Hardoff" was a terrible name for a store no matter what they sell
Edit: straps totally count

Attachments

• rmp9sl5yqyk7srylq36s.jpg
    rmp9sl5yqyk7srylq36s.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Not a brand of guitars but I always thought "Hardoff" was a terrible name for a store no matter what they sell
Edit: straps totally count

Ya, that's like in the UK, their version of a dollar store is called pound town. On one hand, I get it, on the other
Archer-Phrasing.jpg

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Oh my god...

I really am losing my mind.

I already made this thread three goddamn years ago. https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/funny-bad-stupid-cringe-worthy-confusing-brand-names.349687/

200w.gif

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Speaking of cuntz guitars, there's a number of brands supplying the most diverse goods, from bikes to guitars to coffee machines, branded Kona or Cona. For English speakers it obviously means nothing, but it literally translates to "cunt" in Portuguese, which gives "I can't stop fingering my new Kona" a whole different meaning.

I also had a beautiful moment due to Microsoft and Coca Cola recently. Coca Cola has a very large distributor called Cona Services working for a lot of its distribution / sales in a number of NA regions. Microsoft renamed their Azure AD service to Microsoft Entra, and "entra" means "comes in" or "gets in". Cona uses the product as a major part of its cloud service integration, and it featured as a success story about its applications. Long story short, I read a success story about Microsoft entering a cunt in the Portuguese version.

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
I go to value village a lot. Aka savers. If there ain't a cute clerk I won't buy no damn coffee!!