Wow! Kittie was pretty damn heavy!

• Thread starter sevenfoxes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Um...Do you know how much it costs to do all that? It's not a copout at all, especially considering the press, promotional and touring cycle would cost a lot

:agreed:

It's easy to single out the recording aspect and that's it. The issue is that the record is the catalyst to everything mentioned here. Record the album, build up publicity with the press, promotional interviews, then the touring. Booking staff, venues, flights, accommodations, the moment a band announces they're recording an album, everything else is expected to follow suit. There's no point otherwise.

Don't know much about Kittie outside a few Guitar World interviews at the time, but reading here means it was a time they had no label backing. So funding an album was already going to exhaust their funds, without even thinking of the entire promotion/touring cycles.

Reaction score
Just talking about recording here brother. Nothing else.
Do you know how much it costs to go into a studio a make an album with no label backing and have it be good? It's Kittie..they can't do shitty quality stuff because there's more at stake. They have to make a good, professional sounding album.

Along with making an album comes press, promotion, packaging, a full album campaign. They have to pay for all of that. They have to pay for artwork, pressing cds (which is a lot for them because they're internationally known). Interviews (which sometimes cost money), reviews (which DO often cost money), photoshoots, videos. These days you don't make money on albums. Touring and merch are the things. Guess what...that costs money.

Btw..their album In The Black was literally called that because of their financial state where they were no longer in the red with making music without label backing...because it's not easy.

Reactions: fps
Reaction score
They are a failed gimmick to me sorry! Much better bands out there got less attention due to gender
Their entire career was them proving they were real musicians. Having vaginas doesn't make them a gimmick. You DO know females actually exist right? Sometimes they make music. That's not a gimmick it's just a fact. They can't help that they were an anomaly in the metal industry.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Sooo...Kittie is what got me into guitars and metal. Fallon Bowman was my favorite person ever and Morgan is the reason I found my first love..the Gibson Gothic Flying V.

Morgan's voice has come a LONG way. She's now in a symphonic death metal band. I'm sure after they heard this they couldn't wait to get her.

Morgan Lander also did guest vocals on Canadian metal band Kataklysm's song "The Road to Devestation"

I used to love Kittie back then, ESPECIALLY the song "Brackish" I've just downloaded the Kittie album to my phone on Google Play Music. And currently listening to her sick death metal vocals on the Kataklysm track... Now I want to listen to more Kataklysm as well!

PatientMental76

Reaction score
Their entire career was them proving they were real musicians. Having vaginas doesn't make them a gimmick. You DO know females actually exist right? Sometimes they make music. That's not a gimmick it's just a fact. They can't help that they were an anomaly in the metal industry.

I get what your saying but you cant tell me they were not given more opportunity because they are female! Their music was not good enough & the band not around long enough to be put on the big stage & festival bills that they were thrown on! A gimmick is exactly what they were, had they been male nobody would have cared let alone a record deal!

PatientMental76

Reaction score
One band out of countless others had women in it, therefore they were given the opportunity because tits. Sounds logical and not at all bitter.

If it was such a money making gimmick, you'd think the market would've been flooded.

What a joke.

It would have been flooded had Kittie been very lucrative but it wasnt & as you saw they faded away quickly changing member after member with better looking girls, wonder why

Last edited:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I didn't like Kittie's music, so I didn't buy their albums. Early in their career, they opened for Slipknot. I didn't like their music either, so I didn't buy their albums. That said, they were both really popular in the 90s, but I was still suffering from the end of hair metal and the rise of grunge and nu-metal.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It really speaks to the reputation of nu-metal as an angry sausage-fest when the existence of one prominent group w/women in the 2nd/3rd-tier can be decried as tokenism.
You're implying it's just nu-metal. Every time I see a woman in metal get big, the conversation gets toxic as fuuuck.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't all be smart.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Jesus, remember the thread where people were discussing Fenders open marketing campaign to attract girls to playing guitar?

A whole bunch of penises had a lot of ways to do mental gymnastics to pretend 50% of the population isn’t women.

That brand of Kittie/Slipknot NU-metal wasn’t my thing, but a band that can tour and play for 10-15+ years sure as shit has an actual fan base.

Reaction score
I get what your saying but you cant tell me they were not given more opportunity because they are female! Their music was not good enough & the band not around long enough to be put on the big stage & festival bills that they were thrown on! A gimmick is exactly what they were, had they been male nobody would have cared let alone a record deal!

One...lemme fill you in on something....ALL popular musicians have a gimmick. In showbusiness, ya kinda need one. "The youngest, the first, the only black, the all white, the last" whatever..it's all a way for bands to get their foot in the door. Them being female isn't something they could choose. They were kids who loved music and their age and being all female was unique and got them recognized. That's how the industry works. People aren't gonna sign dime-a-dozen bands with absolutely nothing that makes them special. Even if it's "the guitarist is a virtuoso"..that's still a gimmick and a selling point. People pay to see that.

Second, they have been around for 20 years, bought homes with their Kittie money and are still being talked about because they're highly influential for what they are. Apparently someone thinks they're music is good enough.

Pantera chose them to open for them because they saw them on Ozzfest and were impressed. Lots of bands and people were impressed because they wrote Kittie off as a gimmick until actually seeing they were serious.

Btw..you don't get put on festivals because you're good. You get put on festivals because you'll bring a crowd. They did that. The music industry isn't about how talented of a musician you are, please get that out of your head. Money talks and bullshit walks which is why there's a bunch of super technical dudes in their basement playing widdly diddlies and there are people who only know 3 chords selling out arenas.

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
Since I was a 90s guy I feel overly compelled to give my 2 cents here. So Kitty...yeah....by the time they came out there was already albums like Sepultura's 'Roots' and the like which their lead single 'Spit' seemed to be very derivative of. And I'm guessing most of their other songs for that matter off that album. Have to admit that always made me dismissive of them.

Heavy? Sure.

Original? Innovative? Not a record companies chance to say 'hey lets sign another nu-metal band but this time with chics and see if it makes us a little more $$$ before this whole nu-metal thing collapses?'. 'Fraid not and or very doubtful.

But this thread definitely brought back the sounds of the late 90s and some memories. Haha so late 90's sounding metal this band was with 'Spit'. I might have to fire up Orgy's take on 'Blue Monday' in a few moments.