Wrist pain

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
I've had some problems with wrist pain in my picking hand. I like picking pretty hard and think that's the reason, along with sometimes playing for long periods of time. I've had these problems before and it's made me go down a bit in string guage. I'm currently taking some time off playing which kinda sucks since I want to practice.

I'm not looking for medical advice here but I was wondering if other people have had these problems and how it's worked out for you?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Most of my hand/wrist issues start in other areas, usually at work, and then are exacerbated by playing guitar. This is an incredibly frustrating cycle, but it's at least made my priorities clear: I need jobs that won't cause repetitive stress issues that overlap with playing guitar.

I've always been a heavy picker too, I play with a lot more dynamics now but when it's time to bring down the fucking hammer there is no substitute. I had issues in my picking hand thumb, its flexor tendon took a lot of abuse as a waiter and I did have to adjust my technique a little to compensate but ultimately it was leaving that job that solved the problem, as much as joint issues can be "solved."

Also, since you're looking for anecdotal experience, my ladyfriend is a painter who also works at a computer for extended periods and we talk about wrist and neck issues a lot. Ultimately we agreed that they tend to pretty much go away as long as they're addressed quickly and the underlying cause is corrected, but that it's now a known limitation that will very likely get more severe if one isn't careful of it.

I like to wear a wrist brace, even one of those simple elastic ones, when I'm having issues because I find it's a really good reminder to be mindful of how I'm using that appendage. If I had a healed joint for every goddamn boomer who saw me wearing a brace and said "you're too young to be having problems like that!!!" I'd have a surplus to share with the entire world.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I've had some problems with wrist pain in my picking hand. I like picking pretty hard and think that's the reason, along with sometimes playing for long periods of time. I've had these problems before and it's made me go down a bit in string guage. I'm currently taking some time off playing which kinda sucks since I want to practice.

I'm not looking for medical advice here but I was wondering if other people have had these problems and how it's worked out for you?

Go to a physio or a doctor. Don't mess around with your wrists.

I did and I had to stop playing bass because of it. I had to totally readjust my playing style on guitar and I am still nowhere near where I was almost 10 years later. This was my fretting hand but if you love playing do not think it will get better on its own or that it's not worth the money to see a professional.

Reaction score

I'm fortune enough to not have any wrist pain in either of them from playing the guitar. I've had in the past from falls either sk8boarding, martial arts or even biking.

If you're sure that pain is from playing the guitar, besides consulting with specialized medical staff, evaluate your picking movement, how you hold the pick, how you move the pick up and down, play slowly to understand where and how you are abusing from your wrist. I've changed my picking grip and technique this year due to changing the pick size (area). It happened by the chance of changing the pick size, it wasn't planned nor forced, in a week, I was picking differently and better in my opinion.

The picking grip affects the picking movement, so analyze that in order to find out why it hurts and eventually how to avoid it. Experimentation is ahead...

IGC

Reaction score
In 2019 I was professionally diagnosed as having bone spurs in the CMC joints at, pretty much the base of my thumbs, left and right hands.
One option was steroid shots into the actual joints, which lasted for about a month.
I can get the surgery but don't want to take the time off work / deal with huge medical bills and my bullshit medical insurance. Plus I hear it's very painfull and your hand is never the same afterwards. And I don't feel my 'profession' would allow for proper recovery. I do quite a bit of wrench work regularly.
So just manage the pain with topical Diclofenac creme and I can't have any practice sessions of more than maybe 1/2 hour without paying the price.

brector

Reaction score
Go to a physio or a doctor. Don't mess around with your wrists.
What he said. I had numbing issues in my wrist and elbow, turns out it was a pinched nerve in my shoulders/back. I thought it was carpal tunnel since I have been in IT for 25+ years. Doctor ALMOST sent me to have a nerve test done (very painful), but then figured out it was just a pinched nerve. After a couple sessions of PT, the numbing was gone and most pain had left. After the month of PT, no issues.

VibTDog

who farted?
Reaction score
I had wrist pain back in the early 2000's. It got to the point where my hand locked up while playing at a show. I started doing stretches, which I still do to this day. Viola. No more wrist pain.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Play more often but try playing for shorter periods of time. Stop immediately when there’s any discomfort, you should be able to build up the length you can play by building up to it. Playing for 20 minutes is still better than not being to play at all because you maybe pushed yourself too hard.
Also using thinner strings and try examining your technique, play more relaxed and make sure your posture isn’t contributing to any issues. Stretching before and after will help too.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
between boxing, powerlifting and more recently - grip strength workouts (was forced to quit PL-ing due to injuries - this is the next best thing) - wrist/forearm/knuckle/finger discomfort has been a part of my life for decades.

there's no "fix" per se but there are some things that work for most situations:

- hot/cold "bath". ranging from sticking your hands and wrists into hot/cold running water to actually setting up a tub with hot water and tub with ice. water has to be hot af, borderline burn territory. go back and forth always ending with cold water/ice

- finger extensors. most activities we as humans perform with our hands/wrists involve "grabbing" type motions. playing guitar - you grab the pick, you squeeze the neck. this throws your whole lower arm "ecosystem" off balance. resistance-free or using a light rubber band around the fingers - high rep like 3 sets of 50 extensions type deal

- "wrist reset" - there are vids on the interwebs. my fav move is grabbing my wrist juuuuust below the thumb pad with the other hand and pulling away kinda like trying to rip your hand off.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I used to have horrible wrist/joint pain, as well as a stiff neck to the point I had to turn my whole body to look at people, 4-5 days out of the week.

I went plant-based/whole food-only a while back and within a couple months, it ALL went away. I mean, it entirely vanished. While it was a bit of a pain in the ass to figure out a whole new diet and keep things interesting, it was worth it due to the health benefits alone.

I remember when I was younger and I’d read about people dealing with wrist pain so bad they couldn’t even play, I’d think “Oh BS, how can it be that bad?”, but after years in the restaurant biz, either holding heavy ass trays of food, using tongs or spatulas, carrying multiple glasses/plates, years of being an internet dork on forums, my wrists put me out of commission for days at a time.

I’d do a little digging on what foods are known to cause swelling and inflammation and see if there’s anything you can gather from that with what you eat regularly.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Stretching, posture, picking economy, warm up and cool down. I’m not 21 anymore - can’t wake up off a futon and expect to go into playing for 2 hours straight.

I will say that warming your hands under water does help accentuate the stretching process.

If your problems persist, see an Occupational Therapist. A medical provider will be relegated to tell you to take Ibuprofen and rest. I’m a PA and while I can throw some meds at the problem, it’s only a band-aid to cover up the core issue- hence the OT recommendation.

gnoll

Reaction score
Yeah I realized I made almost the same thread a few years ago, and from what I wrote then I had the pains, took some time off, and went back to playing only to get it again even worse. So I really think I need to take it a bit easy and not go back to playing 100% just because it *feels* fine. I've been trying some light stretches which seems pretty cool and I think then I'll try and ease into playing little by little and if it still hurts probably see a doctor...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I realized I made almost the same thread a few years ago, and from what I wrote then I had the pains, took some time off, and went back to playing only to get it again even worse. So I really think I need to take it a bit easy and not go back to playing 100% just because it *feels* fine. I've been trying some light stretches which seems pretty cool and I think then I'll try and ease into playing little by little and if it still hurts probably see a doctor...

No, book the appointment now.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out tutorials by this guy, as well as Bernnth and obv Troy Grady. It’s possible you’re playing posture and finger positions are adding undue stress?

I’m a thumb over guy since I learned how to play by watching a lot of thumb over players. Plus I hold my pick “wrong” for the same reasons. I can shred with some mediocrity but only because of what I’m good at - string skipping, hybrid, and legato. But I lag WAY behind in things like alt picking speed (with every note) and endurance. I didn’t realize what worked to give me tone and technique at slow speeds (e.g. thumb muting, vibrato and bending, etc) hurt me when I tried to play faster. I disagree with some of his advice (thumb over is not “wrong” dammit!) but you may recognize something you’re doing that’s hurting you like the finger cramping he mentions, left hand thumb position, left hand angle, etc.

Latest posts