Writing and playing within your skill level

• Thread starter Stephenar19
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

T_Gobbs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember hearing something about how the dude from Necrophagist would practice a song 20% faster than the bpm of the final recording, and that stuck with me.

Practicing lots helps too. There's always some way to optimize a riff, whether it's by changing a fingering here or there, or by dropping a few notes entirely. A lick I've woodsheded to death usually ends up way different than it began, and often a lot simpler. Hand off a few notes to other instruments and see what happens.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I don’t consider myself a great guitarist, but I have NEVER written anything purely within my skill level/capabilities.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
My $0.02. In the past, all of my songs were very guitar-centric and written entirely based on my skill level. Lately, however, after many years of programming increasingly intricate drum patterns and orchestral parts...I've started using software like Shreddage Hydra to program more challenging/interesting guitar riffs (read: less linear) that better complement the overall arrangement. Then, it becomes quite the fun challenge to learn to play those riffs, physically. This new process has really helped me to improve from a songwriting standpoint (as there are no physical limitations during composition)...while also gradually improving my skill level on the guitar.

jaxadam

Reaction score
My $0.02. In the past, all of my songs were very guitar-centric and written entirely based on my skill level. Lately, however, after many years of programming increasingly intricate drum patterns and orchestral parts...I've started using software like Shreddage Hydra to program more challenging/interesting guitar riffs (read: less linear) that better complement the overall arrangement. Then, it becomes quite the fun challenge to learn to play those riffs, physically. This new process has really helped me to improve from a songwriting standpoint (as there are no physical limitations during composition)...while also gradually improving my skill level on the guitar.

You know this is not a completely terrible idea that I’d be 100% against. I think it’s somewhat the equivalent of listening to artists when I was growing up that I wanted to emulate (Vinnie Moore’s Minds Eye, etc.) only now you are creating the music you want to emulate using the current technology that now readily exists.