WTF is wrong with my guitar?

• Thread starter ooidort
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ooidort

Reaction score
It's easier to just show you what the problem is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5798359/WTF_.mp3

Just listen through that clip and you'll see what I mean.

For people who can't for some reason listen to the clip: the guitar sounds normal without distortion, but as soon as distortion kicks in, the notes gain a sort of an overtone which sounds awful. And no, it's not because of fret buzz, there's hardly any. The action also is really high, since when I lower the action at all, the overtone gets worse. Maybe the truss rod resonates somehow and is not audible when playing clean? Anyone else had similar issues?

EDIT:
Oh, and I'm slamming the strings on purpose to make it clearer what the problem is. It really doesn't matter how hard I strum the strings however, it still has that overtone even when playing light. The tuning is E-standard, the problem areas are A and D strings, frets 4-7. The guitar also just had it's frets leveled and fully setup, and this problem only occured a couple of days ago.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Get it set up man.

Sounds like the higher (22-24) frets are lower than the lower frets (5-7)

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
It could be a tremolo spring resonating. If it is, you could pack your springs with cotton balls to dampen them or (less desirable solution) tape over them with gaffers' tape.

A buddy's PRS had a similar sounding problem. If you have no trem, I have no advice.