Year old thread bumps are pretty awesome.

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
wahhhh wahhhhhh

i only thinks its retarded when its like a old news thread or a tremelo/bridge discussion or w/e. but if its for like a "universe pix" thread its ok

Swippity Swappity

Lovely Boy
Reaction score
NO! :fawk:

jk, I don't really know what you're talking about, but I probably haven't been paying attention to the threads in question either (Unless you're talking about the like year old Blackmachine thread that got necroed. That was wack.) and I can't condone bumping of old threads.

So, yeah, stop bumpin shit, foolz.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, new trial; you bump a year old thread, we beat you up.

... :idea: :lol:

Im all up for a ban on bumping stuff, or at least a warning. I mean once in a while its alright, but now its just bullshit.

Thats what i mean, i get that tehre are some new people on here, but there have been at least a dozen or so really old threads bumped, that really didnt need it :nuts:

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I wonder if there could be an automated thing put in place to delete any thread that hasn't had activity in say....6 months?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I think there should be a ban on opinion threads, but if its a custom that newer members mightve missed, I don't think thats a problem.

EDIT :- Whatabout giving threads of a certain age an automatic lock?

Reaction score
:shrug: Dunno. I maen, its worth keeping the old stuff here, theres a wealth of info and whatnot on this site, its just a massive pain in the ass when these old as hell threads are bumped years later :nuts:

:mad:

:lol:

Yeah, it wouldnt make sense to delete questions that have already been asked. I think what happens is that people see that related/similar threads box on the bottom and reply to one of those threads not realizing how old the threads are.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
People just need to pay attention to the date when posting, and if you are going to bump an old thread, do so for a good reason. I.E. if it is an informative thread, and you want to continue the discussion or ask a question, that's fine.

What gets me is when old threads are bumped, and the post is some rant about a topic we discussed a year ago, which is equivalent to 100 years ago on the internet.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
People just need to pay attention to the date when posting, and if you are going to bump an old thread, do so for a good reason. I.E. if it is an informative thread, and you want to continue the discussion or ask a question, that's fine.

What gets me is when old threads are bumped, and the post is some rant about a topic we discussed a year ago, which is equivalent to 100 years ago on the internet.

Is that like how dog years work?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It should be kind of like a 6 month without post = auto-lock kind of thing. I mean the only thing we would really bump a topic over 6 months for would be probably custom builds like Sherman or something.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Thats what i mean, i get that tehre are some new people on here, but there have been at least a dozen or so really old threads bumped, that really didnt need it :nuts:

Quite honestly this has happened at least once on every forum I've been on and being new isn't really an excuse. I know I've posted and then subsequently found thread on the same topic and asked for mine to be moved/merged and while I hold my hand up to that its obvious some people just don't search at all (saw a thread from '07 being bumped).

Bottom line - if there's something completely new and relevant to add to the thread its pretty much excuseable but just to truly necropost is pointless (IMO FWIW etc :) )

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Threads a year old or older are automatically pruned from the forum - however they are still archived on the server(s) which is open to searches. So a lot of these old threads you can't find by say going to page 101 of the forum - but if someone searches you can find old threads from like 2005 and bump it.

I honestly am also against it - especially when its something totally :poop: that is posted to bump.

EDIT: We should post up a nice article/sticky on Forum Netiquette especially since this is probably the first forum that people belong to that cares about spelling (most of the time), not talking in caps and that l33t hax0r bullshit etc etc. Its a more mature forum and thus we abide by different rules than say HC. For a lot of the people guilty of bumping year old threads or older have little to no clue about their posts bumping threads - nor do they check the date on the first post.